Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

Corvair Starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smfyr241, May 6, 2013.

1. smfyr241

smfyr241 Member

Anyone who ever owned or owns a corvair have issues with the starter?? I have a 64 I bought for the wife... I just had a new torque converter put in and new starter.... I cranked her on the other day and the starter spun twice (2 cranks) without engaging the converter ??? :mad: Getting a little pissed at this car....any info helps
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow Member

I don't own one,but mostly likely thing when there is no engaging,poor volts/amp getting to selinod or low bat/low or bad cable
  3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans Member

Got 4 'Vairs and do not have this issue. Dana has good checking points. Is this a new to the car starter? If so maybe a bad starter.
  4. smfyr241

smfyr241 Member

starter is brand new.... from california corvairs...
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans Member

Remember the old partsman's line " just because it's new does NOT mean it is any damm good" Rebuilt electric stuff is a great example of that saying!
  6. Hellfish

Hellfish Member

I have a 63 Corvair and spent a lot of time on Corvair forums while I was working on it. The only problem that seemed to come up with the starters was a cracked cone, but that wouldn't cause your problem. Clarks and Corvair Underground supply good parts and have good customer service.

Your first thought was to blame the starter. Have you thought about the converter? Where is it from? Could be causing a problem? Was the flexplate re-installed correctly

Did you buy the RIGHT starter? Maybe you got one for an FE or later Corvair and the gear is not engaging the flywheel teeth.
  7. smfyr241

smfyr241 Member

All good stuff here thanks... Yes the torque converter was installed properly and I got the re-manu starter from California Corvairs.... battery has a full charge...etc. Im going to exchange this starter and try another... could be a solinoid issue on the starter itself....