Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Correct brake line size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfee, Apr 21, 2008.

1. tfee

tfee

I will be doing the brakes on my highly modified model t soon and I don't know what brake line size to use. I have 12" drums on all 4 corners and a 1" bore master cylinder from an old econoline van. Should I run 1/4" line to the t's and 3/16" from there or will 3/16" suffice all around?
    Thanks in advance

2. I run 1/4". It was what was on the early Fords and I seem to have better luck doing the double inverted flares on the larger size for some reason.

3. lostn51

lostn51

Id run 3/16" all the way around but thats just me. i cant recall ever seeing any 1/4" in brake lines but then again i have not seen everything thats out there either.

4. lostn51

lostn51

see i just learned me something new.........

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tfee

tfee

Thanks, I will run with the 1/4" then

6. 325w

325w
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from texas

If you run 1/4 don't you have to have an adapter to go into the wheel cly?

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

Run 3/16 - don't putz around with different sizes

8. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Use the 3/16 size it will give you a firmer pedal.

Rex

9. Fogger

Fogger

Good advice is to run the same size as master and wheel cylinders. Early Ford was 1/4" all arround. But new system wheel cylinders and master are generally 3/16". I've been using 3/16" on all the cars I've build that way I don't need adapters. The FOGGER

10. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

As far as brake line size, the brakes don't care what size they are. Old Fords, pre 48 used 1/4" lines. 49 and up Fords used 3/16". GM until recently used 1/4" in the rear, and 3/16" in the front. Line size does not change the pressure on the wheel cylinders.

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Enjenjo said

EDIT:

Technically speaking the smaller line will carry more pressure - which might explain why Detroit went to 3/16" - the advent of disc brakes doubled line pressure.

12. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

13. I always do 3/16" all around. A few things good about the 3/16" is that you can make bends with a tighter radius using a tubing bender, and you can make gentle bends or adjustments easily with your bare hands.

Get a good tubing flaring tool. It sucks trying to make the flares with a piece of crap tool. When you get a line all bent and cut perfectly, the last thing you want is to have the flare get ruined by trying to use a junky flaring tool. I bought a used old Blue-Point flaring kit, and it's never let me down.

14. we are seriously getting close to over thinking this

run 3/16 or 1/4...whichever works out best for you

15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

In technical terms, there is no "flow" in a brake system. The fluid moves so little that the Bernoulli principle does not really apply.