Register now to get rid of these ads!

Conrad Winklers '51 Oldsmobile Convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Centurion9, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Who has any pictures or knowledge of the car? Thanks...Centurion9

2. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah, Its now purple and owned by John Jordan. Hes form Chicago Illinois, owns a shitload of customs and they calll him " The Shaggy Dog". I have pics at home.

3. Any chance I could look forward to seeing those pics? I'll wait patiently.....Enjoy wherever and whatever you're doing......I'd really love to see that car again. Grew up on the Soth Side of Milwaukee.....used to see it all the time. Thanks.......Centurion9

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Whadda ya wanna see? pre Winkler or post Winkler? Im making granite counters at the moment.

5. You're an Icon here....I'm a slug. Take your time and get to it when it's convenient. I'd like to see both versions, unless you think the purple version will kill me.....I loved its original look.....Thanks....Centurion9

6. pre and post Winkler for me, thanks.

7. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Alright, I have the pic but will have to make a Kinkos run to scan it. The early version is in an issue of Popular Kustoms from 63 I believe.

8. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Hey I remember that guy having a 40 merc? when I was a little kid.. it was brown or something?

9. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Oh yeah..it had deleted 1/4 windows and no skirts.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  10. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

yeah no quarter windows...... I remember it yellow as well...... I must have been like 8 or 9.........

11. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah.. me too. The cars on the east coast now I believe. i always hated it but at least it wasnt another Mantranga clone.

12. Rikster

Rikster

(Nitro Marty Photo Collection)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still around... and this is how it looks today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah, It is on the east. That pic was taken in Jersey.

14. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

The Black and white pic may have been taken at the WSRA corn roast..... I remember that truck in the back ground....... anyway yeah its wierd, but it has a certain character about it... My dad must have known that guy.......

15. Rikster

Rikster

I liked it a lot when I was a kid. There was not much info on custom cars where I lived when I was a kid. And this Custom Cars Special from Hot Rod Magazine was about all I had.
    This pale yellow 1940 Mercury realy inspired me... possibly it was so much different from most else in the magazine.

Anyway it got me inspired enough to sort of built a model of it. Based on a AMT 1940 Ford coupe... Sorry about the bad pic.. all I have since the model is gone after a well ment restoration effort 15 or so years ago...

[​IMG]

16. Yep looks like the cornroast back in the day. Remember the Howard Johnsons on friday night? Connie used to deliver at Briggs and Stratton when i worked there and we'd sit and shoot the shit. Scruffy ( back then Bedrock. )

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Well this is the best I have and they are from the 1991 James Dean run in Gas City. The car was owned by the Shaggy Dog by then. I can tell that the pinstriping was done by the late Mark Fenyo. Im am going to Lauderdale tonight to look at some Ed Roth art and some Von Dutch striping and the guy has the magazine on his desk featuring the car in the early 60s.

Attached Files:

18. 00Mack.....Thanks very much for your effort. Connie Winklers Olds was one of those cars that grabbed my teenage brain and shook it like a dog! It's cars like that that made an on-going passion possible. I can't relate to the later paint, but the original scallops were fabulous and representative of the period. I don't know who did the paint the first time, but I have some hunches.....Thanks sincerely for getting those pics for me....Centurion9

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Avtually, Those scallops werent on the car in early magazine coverage. They were on it in Hot Rod magazine and Classic and Custom,both of which were in the early 80s.

20. I saw the Olds convertible, first time, in a car show in Sheboygan, Wi. 1960 or 61. It was gold with white scallops and had a gold and white candy stripe interior. For the next few years, it appeared in some Milwaukee, Wi. car shows, maybe a few in Illinois. Next, I saw it when Winkler bought it. I have no info about who built the car or painted it.

About Winklers Merc coupe. In the 60's, he found the coupe in a field, on the Menomonee Indian reservation in Shawano, Wi. The body was fairly solid, the chop and custom work needed rework and finishing. Builder not known. Winkler had a local Milwaukee guy install a sbc, make an exhaust system and wire it to run. In the early 70's, Winkler called me and said, when he drives the Merc, it changes lanes and the wiring had started on fire. Long story, short. Due to the first guys sbc install and wiring, it was necessary that I replace the frame, remount the sbc and rewire. We got it rolling, braking and running. Connie and his son, Ron, finished the body work, paint and interior. He sold the Merc and the Olds convert showed up.

21. "I saw the Olds convertible, first time, in a car show in Sheboygan, Wi. 1960 or 61. It was gold with white scallops and had a gold and white candy stripe interior. For the next few years, it appeared in some Milwaukee, Wi. car shows, maybe a few in Illinois. Next, I saw it when Winkler bought it. I have no info about who built the car or painted it.

I remember the car both ways in the early days...The scallops do go way back. I used to live in the neighborhood of 68th and Oklahoma where the car was a fixture for quite awhile...I left home in '64 so it had to be earlier than that. I'd still like to hear more about the car....Thanks guys.....Centurion9

22. flat150

flat150
    from Wisconsin

Do you know what happened to Connie? I remember he ran a gym in Greenfield way back in the early sixties. I remember him from there. Good guy.

23. Rikster

Rikster

Since this thread came up again... and did not have any photos of how the Olds looked in the 50's and 80's.... here is how it used to look...

[​IMG]

And in the 80's...

[​IMG]

Apologies for the poor photos. These where reprinted in the Dutch magazine Chrome & Flames... very badly printed magazine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Does anybody have the nighttime pic where there`s a beam of light coming from the headlights ( about a foot). No kidding.

25. Rikster

Rikster

Sure... (Hot Rod magazine December 1981 issue)

[​IMG]

26. BrewtownPrez

BrewtownPrez

I'm still learning to find my way around this site. It has so many interesting stories and some great pictures. The Olds convertible that Connie drove to the first Leadsled was built in Sheboygan in 57/58 by Dick Arnoldi. It was the first custom I ever saw in person. It had a big effect on a young guy like me. It was pictures in the September 1959 issue of "Custom Cars" magazine, before it had scallops. Connie and his Olds were also featured in "Classic and Customs" magazine coverage of that show.

Connie.jpg

Connie3.jpg

27. Tony Alvarez

Tony Alvarez

That cars nice the passenger fender has some lifting on paint but its in overall condition. Sits next to his 49 merc. which sits next to his 41 ford. which sits next to the white 48 chevy. which sits next to his dog 5 40 Ford with the carson top lol.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    stanlow69 likes this.
  28. Tony Alvarez

Tony Alvarez

1325394198883.jpg

stanlow69 likes this.