Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

"cleaning up" old aluminum / magnesium & or aging new aluminum wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I'm still bouncing back & forth on wheels I'll be running on my project truck... was originally thinking a set of Ansen Sprints... if the guy calls me back, I'll have scored a set of 15" X 10" sprints from the 60's... the wheels for the fronts are newer & polished...

... I'm thinking of media blasting the 2 sets, so they match... cleaning up the old set, & depolishing the newer set... I assume some of you guys have done both... is there a process that's worked well for you??? ( type or grit of media ??? )

if I can't get a pair of 10" Sprints for a diecent price, I may pick up 4 new Mickey Thompson wheels, that they are blowing out super cheap ( look kinda similar to the sprints, but are fully polished ) my media blaster thinks I'd be crazy taking the polish off those, but I'm not after a street rod look, & if I can make them look older I'd prefer that, if I have to go that route... anyone else done that ??? I'd rather have the vintage Sprints, but since they quit making the 10" the prices on those have gone up, & I can buy a set of 4 new wheels cheaper than I can buy 2 - 10" sprints right now :confused:

2. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Submersing polished aluminum in muriatic acid, (for VERY short amounts of time), will cause the aluminum to turn a nice magnesium color...

3. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I wonder If I could spray it on ( I have some commercial acid proof spray bottles )

none of the sand blast guys up this morning, or isn't it advisable to media blast aluminum wheels ???

4. I just recently went through something similar. I had a pair of polished ET Supers in 15x6 and a pair of unpolished 15x8.5s that I blasted in a buddy's blast cabinet. The media was garnet that was pretty old, but it did a great job knocking off the paint off of the 15x8.5s. I thought that it would rough-up the 15x6s to more resemble the surface finish of the rear wheels, but it really didn't. I painted all four wheels, and the fronts turned out beautiful. The rears look good, but a lot more of the casting irregularities showed through because they had never been polished. The wheels were painted a light charcoal with a lot of metallic, and that helped disguise the difference between the fronts and rears.

Your Sprints might turn out a little different because they were pretty smooth from the factory, unlike the 5-spoke wheels, which were pretty rough.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply... still waiting on that call on those 60's Sprints... I hate waiting

6. Just make sure you aren't using ferrous based media or you will end up with rusty spots on your aluminum.

7. Sage

Sage

A recent article in the August 2012 issue of Street Rodder talked of how Foose and Chris Andrews used Easy-Off oven cleaner to age parts of his deuce coupe. I tried it on some aluminum plate I had lying around and, with several applications using different spray patterns and thicknesses, it did give it a nice, aged patina look. Might be something worth investigating if you've got some aluminum to practice on.

8. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I have restored a number of the D200-s Americans and also ET-II's. The spokes on one set had been completely polished out. I had them media blasted and they came out really good. They had the "as cast" original look. Sam

9. porknbeaner

porknbeaner

I like the media blasted but Ansens are supposed to be polished.
    Egle brand mag wheel cleaner for uncoated wheels is muratic acid I believe. it is cheap, when you soak them good and follow the instructions they will leave a mildly rough surface and bleach them out white. if you then leave them alone just hosing them occaisionally when they are dirty they will assume a magnesuim of titanuim color.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have some old pickup truck aluminum wheels I wanted to use on a trailer. What is the best thing to strip off the peeling clear coat? I planned on trying to polish them but will probably end up painting them (they are pretty corroded in spots)

11. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

Don't laugh but try salt water! Every time i change the water in my salt water reef i dump it out back on stuff that i want to patina, works awesome on aluminum...

12. greg32

greg32
    from lemont,IL

How about Dow 7 for that vintage mag look. Theres a metal finisher near chicago that does the process. PM me if ya want it.

13. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the replys guys... Does anyone have any pics of before & after Dow7 ???