Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome bumper guys from California...heard of em?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I met some Mexican guys at the Chickasha swap meet this year. They had some really good prices on bumpers etc.
    They say they still triple chrome all their stuff.

They are in La Puente, CA.
    The name is " Chrome 4 You ".
    Just wondering if ya'll have ever done business or heard good/bad about em?

2. Kustm52

Kustm52

This isn't "The Bumper Boyz" operating under a new name is it???

Brian

3. there are some mexicans that call themselves "bumper boys" out of cali. they have a decent product.

4. lownslow

lownslow

[ QUOTE ]
    there are some mexicans that call themselves "bumper boys" out of cali. they have a decent product.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah just keep telling yourself that .......they are out and out thieves.and their product is crap...............never heard of chrome4you though....

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A friend's "triple chromed" '57 Ford bumper lasted less than a year from the time he bought it from "Bumper Boys"...went to the car wash and blew a silver dollar sized piece off the front of it with a car wash wand...wasn't any "triple plating" on it.
    R-

6. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Don't buy anything from them without actually seeing it and inspecting it closely in various lights. Their work can be extremely bad quality. I bought a 49 Chevy bumper guard from them for my 47 Ford and it was OK, but I saw some real crap.

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I have a stack of business cards from chrome shops that have booths at Pomona, Bumper Boyz was one of them. I have never had work done by them and you really can't judge their work by what they bring to the swap meets, they always pick the best parts to show off. Sorry to hear that others have had problems with them, I know where NOT to go for my next replate job...

8. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My buddy got a rear bumper for his 67 Camaro project from the Bumper Boyz. He bought it at a swap meet. Since he wasn't ready to install it yet, He left it wrapped up to protect it but, when he went to put it on it was terrible. It was nothing like the bumper the Boyz showed him. The chrome was average but the ends where they curve around the fender were rippled badly on the bottom side. He did use it breifly till he found a better one. I'd steer clear.

9. Be careful about chromers you dont know. I've heard about the Bumper Boyz, I had another guy do mine for my 58. He did them and I paid him, one was ok, the other flawed. He took it back, as well as a couple more, and disappeared. This guy is a younger mexican guy named Patrick, He drives a black 90's Chevy truck. He goes to all the meets. If you see him, PM me, and get a # from him. Theres a special place up his ass where my steel toe boot is going. [​IMG]
    Sorry back to you, these guys like to have you ship your bumper to them, then theyll say its no good, and bang you a core charge. Theyll rechrome your old one and sell it back to you. If you want your core back, it'll cost you shipping back, its up to 55 bucks each way. So youre in it for 100 bucks for nothing...no guarantees you'll get your own plateable cores back, if you get them at all. Its a bad deal. try to find someone thats referred to you, even if it costs a litte more... [​IMG]

10. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

those bumper boys are no good rat bastard thieves. their work is crap. the rear bumper i had chromed and in a matter of months it flaked off in big chunks. they also kept my original 56 chevy bel air grille and gave me back some crappy reprodution piece of shit. they also kept my original 1 piece front bumper and gave me a 3 piece that was welded together very crappy and ground with a grinder. stay way from those guys, and spread the word that the are thieves [​IMG]

diego

11. ray

ray
    from colorado

i'll add that the better part you take to the chromers, the better part you will get back! if you send heavily pitted, rusted through SHIT, don't expect much, try to find a better core. remember they are not welders, they are platers. the people that bitch about the quality, would be the same ones to bitch about the price to have the job done right.

i'd say chrome is one service where you can communicate what level of quality you expect before you drop the parts off, and reasonably expect to get it, the differance between ok chrome and perfect chrome is many hours of polishing. when i dealt with duke city plating, i watched them graciously accept and redo returned parts that were flawed.

12. well, sorry i brought it up. they are popular around here for cheap bumpers. i've known one guy that had some chrome start pealing. they sent a new one in 4 days at no charge. all i can relay is my experiance. i know they're not the best by any strech of the imagination. but i can't wait 4 years for advance to get my shit done. i'm not defending them at all, they may be rip off bastards like you say, but this has been my experiance.

13. flying clutchman

flying clutchman

i wouldnt care too bad if they just did a bad chroming job. but the fact that they stole my original shit and replaced it with some aftermarket china made grille, and then try to tell me that its the original, thats where they screwed up

14. yea clutchman, i totally agree. that would constitute a mexican getting an ass whippin' if it was my stuff. i probably won't use them anymore after reading this. i guess we've been lucky. everyone i know went to the swap meet in indy and just bought them off the rack and we all inspected the parts carefully. maybe thats why we came out ok. i definatly wouldn't send anything to them for plating now. now i'm glad i brought it up, i didn't have any idea about this other stuff

15. lownslow

lownslow

wouldnt care too bad if they just did a bad chroming job. but the fact that they stole my original shit and replaced it with some aftermarket china made grille, and then try to tell me that its the original, thats where they screwed up

[/ QUOTE ]

that is exactly the same story that i hear from MANY of my friends . i wont use em because of it . so i dont have first hand knowledge from my own stuff but was there when they all of their problems.....the are theives first and shitty platers second........

16. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Just to add to the Bumper Boyz complaints becuase I will do anything I can to hurt thier business at this point. I am still waiting for a few of my parts for my car after 8 months- I call every two weeks and this guy Robert tells me 10 more days. They lost my originals and keep telling me they are getting replcements and they keep disapperaring somehow- doesn't even make sense. I think they are just hoping I will give up.

But it's easy to remember to call and bug them because I curse them whenever I look at my car which has been finished for five months except for interior door panels and headlight rings. Word of mouth should put these guys out of business.

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have been looking at Bumperboys grills for the past three years. Everytime I see them I aks to see there 53 chevy grill hoping to find a nice one that is not chromed over the pics and shitty finish work.. I have looked at 5 of their grills and not a single one ended up on my car as much as I want a chrome grill (but I want perfection or very close)...

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, you boys have scared me right out of it.
    I dunno those guys and I probably will just stick to the guys locally.

19. Big Vinny

Big Vinny
    from New Joisey

These guys are a big rip off I'm still in a big argument with them . I got fucked twice ..there bumpers are pure 100 % shit ..they spray the so called chrome on !!you get back somebody elses rusted bumper..then they spray the back of the bumpers with spray paint to cover the rust..And I mean RUST !!! Not thin RUST but THICK RUST !! The bumpers will peel in 2 months and turn yellow and blister .. I told these assholes. I'm going on every website to bad mouth them .. I'm contacting the attorney general A friend had 1 in a box ,never opened for 1 year .it rusted in the box bumper clowns wouldn't do a god dam thing for him !! They gave him a bullshit story oh its out of fucken warranty ..I hate these jerks !!! don't buy notten from them You will get fucked !!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  20. BadLuck

BadLuck

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Wow, talk about an old thread! I say a bunch of us find these scumbags at the next swap meet and have a little...... talk with them.. I think it would be very justified.