Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Checking axle housing for straightness

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

What is the best way to confirm this after the old brackes are removed and ground down?

2. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

rotary table and test indicator in a mill?

3. 31Vicky with a hemi

31Vicky with a hemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda caveman-ish, I dont think its the best,
    but I had it close by so I used a cold rolled rod close to the the axle size, staight thru both outer bearings and did some measuring in the middle to check overall, and a nice straight edge along the tubes to check those

4. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I just want to ensure that I did'n warp the housing when I removed the old brackets. So a simple straight edge will do?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. You can check flanges for parallelism with a digital level.

Set the housing with carrier flange parallel to the floor.
    Measure angle on both axle flanges.

Turn housing 90*, measure angle on both axle flanges.

The digital levels are quite accurate and measure down to seconds of arc.

Did my home-narrowed nine inch for the 31 roadster project this way and it's more accurate than the shop-done nine inch on my 32.

If you end up buying a digital level get the 2' model and if you need longer tape it to a longer bubble level.

I have a 4' digital and will probably cut it down one of these days.