Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Carson or Hall tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mkilger, Mar 16, 2011.

1. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

anyone have any detailed pics of a real Carson or Hall top being made, what was used in the building of the tops? How they get the flow of the top? I know they used copper tubing and chicken wire but want to see good some pics, I building a clone of the Hal Paterson 41 merc and I want the top to be spot on as we can get it. thanks

jick likes this.
  2. sled

sled

mkilger,if you go to Rikster custom album you'll find all kinds of infos and detailed building pics of Carson tops..and wayyy more stuff too

3. Rikster

Rikster

THis should give you some insight...

Carson Top Shop

And below is a very good write up and fully illustrated article in a Dan Post book.

Dan Post abc's Custom How book from 1954. (Geoff Hacker Scans)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. radio_king

radio_king

Wow,quite thorough article in that Custom How book.Been trying to find that book for a while,no luck so far.
    Please post pics of your build if you have any.I`m sure folks here would like to take a look!

5. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

Wow--- was not expecting this! Thanks Rikster Saved.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Thank You! Just woke up right after you posted the info on the padded tops. I`ve been collecting info for years, this is the best I have by far. My buddy just picked up a early 50`s Dan Post book at a swapmeet I was at for $6.00. I tried to buy it from him, but couldn`t. I need to buy the shell of a car that I found that I`ve been want`in to build for years. And start fabricating a top for it. Will have to worry about finding parts to finish the car later. Thanks for the information and motivation I needed.

7. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

just what I was looking for cant be any better than that thank you Rik. I can build the top frame work but will have some one do the white covering and stiching anyone know a good shop that does tops? thanks again

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great! Thanks, Rik!

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Look for an older trim shop that specializes in convertibles. One that has been around for forty years, or more. They're still around, you just have to ask someone with a Carson-style top at a show. Eddie Martinez comes to mind. Some of the older gents really enjoy working on stuff like this, as they see it so rarely... Your biggest concern will be how the channel lines up with the tops of your windows.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. Eric H

Eric H