Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb scoops for cheap sob's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 22, 2015.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm not big spender when it comes to aesthetics (and it shows) so these were next to nothing, adapted in minutes, very common and should be readily recognizable to many of you. I may make some bottoms for them unless the response is a resounding 'Go F yourself, RRer!

0222150851b.jpg '.

slack likes this.
  2. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They look as good as anything that is sold on the open market!!!!!!!!

3. Tony

Tony

HD horn covers?!?

Make the bottoms and throw some filters in em and good to go!

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

5. Tony

Tony

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good eye man. I actually like that we know what it is and you found a new home for em. Bitchin...

7. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I seen a guy use the steel toes out of his work boots.

8. Tony

Tony

No doubt! They normally end up in a parts bin if the bike is mine. Never liked them hanging off the motor like they do, but i can see a pretty cool new home for them after this.
    Good thinking Blowby!

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. Guess I'll make some bottoms. They were 2 bucks each at the swap meet, including the horns. Use the later ones with the mounting tab welded on (others have holes in the sides and stuff). Cut the tab in half, bend Ls to fit a hose clamp, or just drill a hole to fit a center stud if you have one.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Finally made some bottoms, just 1/8" aluminum plate. I should probably do some better fuel lines...

0310151331a.jpg

11. Tony

Tony

They look good man, nice job!

12. Bugguts

Bugguts

I like em. Good recycling.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Recycling :D Pun intended. The only problem I can see is that since they are off a Harley they will likely be prone to getting loose and falling off as you drive down the road :D:D

By the way, as far as I know the best way to face open carb scoops is the other way around, open side towards the cowl.
    The negative pressure area behind the scoop helps draw air into the engine.

Remember all the cowl induction systems on the muscle cars ? Same principle.

14. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Looks cool.
    I love cheap, homebrewed ingenuity.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/frog-mouth-air-scoops-facing-forward-or-backwards.876137/

Seems to be the general consensus, with some debate. Sure see a lot of "pencil dicks" :) out there, including factory cars and drag racers.

16. fortynut

fortynut

When I originally read this whole shebang, I shuddered like a cold wind had blown up my back; and after I wrote a reply realized it lacked the appropriate tenderness that some of the members on here need because of the less than substantial thickness of their epidermis. I started that one out by saying that I grew up on a farm and one of the first observations I made about engines was that when they inhale dirt they tend to expire early. I have always been puzzled by grown men who spend good money to build high horsepower engines, and in their zeal to prove to others the high zoot level of performance under the hood, or out in the air, forget the first rule of all mechanical devices, that: form follows function. So it is not without some alarm, that I see that after several generations, people repeating the same mistake. This causes me to wonder why someone doesn't just say it like it is. Dirty engine air destroys engines! Why have we not seen more concern about better filtration, than shiny examples of dirt catchers with cute names like 'bullfrog throats' that are actually painted red inside to imitate the yawning gullet-funnel of a mating reptile? And, before y'all start looking for a locust post, and steal the tar kiln from your friendly neighbor roofers and rob the Holiday Inn for a batch of pillows, to tar and feather me: keep in mind that back on the farm, a tractor engine cost good money to replace. Flash forward to the present. There is no way I would build up an engine and not consider protecting it from the crud in the air. Not when there is a plethora of solutions to do that; many of them just as cool as an open scoop, and engineered not to impede flow, as well as to filter out contaminants, and certainly easier to maintain that taking the engine out and rebuilding it. Yes. I know I'm not saying what you want to hear, but I am simply trying to make sure there is an adult in the room to let everyone who reads this know that mistakes can be costly, and that there are other choices. If you hear what I have to say and disagree, that is your option. At least I tried to give you more information. If I accomplish that, I'm cool with the static.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

There are some who will say that tractors only run in dirty wind blown fields so on a street driven car running around only in town or in a cleaner environment that the dirt issue should not be a problem.
    I say if that's the case, take a look at the air cleaner in your daily driver and see what happens if you never replace it.

Sure the open screened off frog mouthed scoops look cool, but for my RPU with my brand new Stromberg carbs on a tri power for my Y Block I will be running 3 small air cleaners and using K & N elements so that they flow well.

fortynut likes this.
  18. Ok fortynut, you got me! I was going to remove the filter on my Y block.....now I will keep the filter....filters are cool afterall.

fortynut likes this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Funny you should mention it, just got off my bulldozer, pushed a lot of dirt and left an inch of it in the shower. See my avatar for my air filters.

20. slowmotion

slowmotion

amphibian...btw

Great exercise in repurposing, blowby. There's got to be hundreds of those things collecting dust in garages all over the country. Ya they need a filter, but gadamit they look cool!

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks Slowmo. Couldn't get much of a filter in these scoops. I'm actually waiting for this engine to wear out, new one is at the ready. But it looks like I'm wearing out first. Need to find some dirtier air.

22. Tony

Tony

Here's an idea that may, or may not work for those concerning filters.
    I had carbs stacks on the tri power on my old 33 Ford truck...home made stuff.
    I glued screen to the stack just over the carb opening's, then used lawn mower foam filters, cut to fit, inside over the screen.
    Worked pretty good as i had to clean them a couple times a year from bugs etc.
    cheap filter idea.

Tony

23. Hell, I thought the dirt kept the rings seated.....
    Bon-ami worked on our sprint car engine to re-seat the rings.......

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I posted this once before. The Red Robin Restaurants are using a stainless steel "cup", that's open on the top and bottom, has a tapered shape, a "balony sliced" top, and looks like they would fit Rochester 2 barrel carbs. They are also a textured finish like a golf ball. They use them to hold French Fries, but they'd look good on a Tri-Power setup. Now, don't everyone make a run on your local Red Robin to steal all their French Fry cups. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. a company named PEGASUS AUTO RACING SUPPLIES sells sheets of air filter foam, just cut to size. also in different grades course to fine.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Cool, no Red Robins around here. Funny, before I tried the horn covers I was keeping my eyes peeled for something that would work and be different, drinking cups, bells.. Wife kept saying "why do you keep looking at that stuff?" Uh, never mind..

There's an old thread on creative filters/stacks, worth a look if you're interested.

27. here's my HD related re-Cylced air cleaners.

075.JPG

28. Tony

Tony

Scotty thats another killer idea! Reminds me of the air cleaners on the dual quad Mopars of the late 50's.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah man, room for filters too! My other air cleaners are old Triumph 650.

ds.jpg

scotty t likes this.
  30. old sparks

old sparks

Another filter media source is the wifes old kitchen scrubbing pads ( the green ones) before she throws them away. Yes, I know some folks can make a lot of jokes about that But I`ve used them pressed into 94 air horns( not my wifes age)