Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb Rebuild Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Mar 4, 2015.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Is there a secret to rebuilding a carburetor? It all looks so simple. Remove old gaskets, soak and clean everything. Re-assemble with new gaskets. Adjust floats. Is there something unspoken? I've tried two different carbs and just don't seem to cut it. The kits are so much cheaper I hate to buy rebuilt units.

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That's my take on it. I never understand when somebody freaks out about rebuilding one. Super easy and cheap.

3. inthweedz

inthweedz

Overhauling a carb isn't that hard to do.. Heat distortion is a carbs worst enemy..
    So when you got the carb apart, face all the gasket surfaces with a sheet of wet and dry rubbing paper on a flat surface(I use a square of heavy window glass) If there is excessive distortion, you can rough it back with a wide flat file, then finish with the glass/paper..

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

if it has been sitting a long time make, sure all the little passages are clean. there are wire tool sets that can be used.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you send your carb off to a professional rebuilder, they typically will do more than we home shop guys do on our workbench. Things like making sure the shaft bores are not worn so much that air is able to be sucked around the shaft. Most of us don't do those things, we just do what you did..........clean it up , replace the parts that come in the kit, and call it good.

Like you, I have had some successes with rebuilding them and some that didn't work right. Nowadays I usually send them off to All American Carburetor and they come back all replated and done to perfection. But on a simple job one of the jiffy kits usually gets them working well.

Don

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

the carburetor rebirth ceremony must be performed naked while facing the east

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I went into my carb rebuild mostly blind as I had never done it before. I picked up 3 other carbs for parts, cleaned a second carb (saving the original just in case) followed the directions but I was still having problems.

As previously mentioned you can't just re-gasket you need to check all your passages, make sure everything is clear and rust free. Your float needs to be set perfectly and then you need to tune you air/fuel screws. I vacuum/rpm tuned my carb. It took a few nights of tweaking before everything was working good for me.

If you really want to figure it out on your own it is rewarding at the end. Way faster and easier to get it sent out and done for you.

Check out YouTube and do a lot of googling if you decide to go it on your own. If it is a rochester I can tell you which books I picked up.

8. judging by this and SEVERAL other posts, i can see that they finally got your dosage correct.

3wLarry likes this.
  9. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Clean every passage, nook and cranny completely. I use a straight pin, Qtips, Gumout spray. Even scrape with dull screwdriver blade sometimes careful not to nick anything. Air bleeds, emulsion tube holes, everything. Zero old gasket gunk left on mating surfaces.

10. The better pro rebuilders will rebore the throttle plate and install new bushings to insure a proper fit.

11. Hot rod don is correct. I have the stuff to bush the shafts on a carter or Rochester that I will use if they need it and most Holleys have O rings on the shafts that no one ever replaces, they don't come with the kit. There is more to a reman then just changing the gaskets but cleaning and replacing the gaskets is 90% of it.

I think that some carbs are b more difficult to assemble then others, Holleys are pretty easy but I hate working on a carter AFB or a Rochester Q jet. putting the top on can be a real pain in the ass. Unless you have a steady hand or lots of valium. :D

12. missysdad1

missysdad1

No rocket science here. Just get everything clean, clean, clean! Soak in fresh carb dip and rinse well with warm clear water.

Use compressed air to blow out all passages, then check them with spray can carb cleaner. If any are still clogged and won't come clear with spray carb cleaner use a small wire taking care not to enlarge the hole.

Reassemble following the exploded view which comes with the kit, taking lots of time to get the adjustments just right. All the info to do this, along with the required gauges, is included in the kit.

One major point: DON'T LOSE ANY OF THE PARTS!

Good luck!

13. Yep I have hunted for hours to find that little check ball that didn't come in the kit. :( I still keep everyone that does come extra incase the next kit doesn't have one. :)

14. You're not trying to put the covers back on with the power pistons and metering rods in place, are you??? o_O

15. Always. LOL I finally figured out that was thw wrong way to do it but it took me a long time to figure that out. :eek: :oops:

ClayMart likes this.
  16. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

My Dad always told us that carburetor is a French word that translates "'Don't fuck with it"

17. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Injectors are soooo much more fun. They make you look smart. Other people will think you are really cool, clever and sophisticated but actually you're too stupid to do a stromberg one barrel! That's why injectors are for me...