Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car from the 1937 movie 'Topper' ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Woogeroo, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Cosmo Topper's center-finned custom roadster from the 1937 movie, 'Topper'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029682/

----

Hiya peoples.

I was watching this old movie on tv, that I have not seen since I was a kid... and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the car in the movie?

-W

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a Buick that was a true "hollywood" custom. There was a link about it on here not long ago. It was updated in later years and not as kool as the original version. I believe it was a 37 Buick. And it did have some "hot rod" exhaust, not just sound effects. I agree...waayy kool car.

Here's the link...everything you wanna know
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104643&highlight=Topper

3. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

Thanks highlander... all my searches in here were getting links to license plates toppers.

:D

-W

4. Cortimetrix

Cortimetrix
    from Albany, GA

The fancy finned-back car driven by the Kerbys was custom built by the Bohman & Schwartz Co. using a 1936 Buick Roadmaster chassis. Originally the producers had in mind to use a coffin-nosed Cord, but it wasn't large enough. In the custom-made Buick there were special compartments for camera equipment, etc. The Buick resembles a Cord, but the supercharger pipes on the side were just decorations (a Cord comes with an actual supercharger). After filming the Buick was bought by the Gilmore Oil Co. and was used for promotional purposes for many years. It was updated in 1954 with a Chrysler Imperial chassis and drive train. The car driven by Cosmo Topper is a 1936 Lincoln Model K.