Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car couch plans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

In the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame Museum where I work, one part of the museum is a "drive-in movie theater" it shows a short 10 min movie on how stock car racing began. And since it's a drive in, we have 3 car couches (except the seats are facing the right way, like in a real car) we have a 56' Ford, 57' Chevy, and 59' Pink Cadillac. There is also drive-in speakers next to each one and murals over the walls of other 50's cars and trucks. And then we also have 3 custom tailgates to sit on too.

BTW, I will try to post pictures tomorrow afternoon when I get home from the museum.
    -Cody

2. violet springs

violet springs

3. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Don't know how I missed this thread before. Some really cool info.

4. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

I used an old 64 Cadillac 4 door that had been completely rusted out in the front, but the tail survived. I used the middle of the trunk to create a center console out of it. I had visions of this in the living room, but my chick really likes where it is in the garage. So I put a TV in the garage instead of the Cadillac couch in the living room!

Attached Files:

5. larslarsen

larslarsen
    from Nebraska

I'm sure glad I found this thread! It's given me some great ideas for my cad couch. I beleive it's a '61 an I'm as far as cutting it off the car. Should be a fun build. Thanks for the help everyone! partscars876.jpg

partscars872.jpg

6. How about a recliner?

7. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I saw a front clip of a bug made into a reciner and the hood worked it was crazy i wish i knew where i say it... I would post a pic but sorry.

8. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

that truck tail gate was a hottttttt idea . man i like that

9. Jim 68cuda

Jim 68cuda
    from Virginia

I saw a picture in a magazine once, of a 50's station wagon couch. The back end of the wagon was against the wall as though someone had backed the car right through the wall. The lift up rear window and drop down tailgate looked great open or closed. Someone else posted the Chevy pickup tailgate bench, but the entire wagon back end would be great for tailgating at home, indoors or out. As patio seating, in the closed position, there would be weather protection for the upholstery. If I ever make one it will be with the back end of a station wagon.

10. I love '59 Chevys and recently acquired this little jewel......

[​IMG]

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though. A '59 doesn't make a good couch without losing the tailfins and taillights that make them so funky to start with. I thought about a forward facing couch but that means you need the couch out in the middle of a room so the rear can still be seen.

Then I considered just loping off the rear 2 feet and making a wall hanger out of it. I guess I'm still up in the air as to what I should do.

I LOVE Dr. Dave's Olds couch!

JH

11. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

That 59 wouldn't make a good couch but boy what a custom!

12. I made a sofa from the front end of an OT Viper. I am probably the only one who has ever done that. Just need to make the cushions and photograph it.

13. Quintin

Quintin

gotta get motivated on this 51 pontiac front end

Attached Files:

• q3.jpg
      q3.jpg
      File size:
      230.2 KB
      Views:
    • q2.jpg
      q2.jpg
      File size:
      238.6 KB
      Views:
    • q1.jpg
      q1.jpg
      File size:
      256.6 KB
      Views:
  14. jimstro16

jimstro16

Forward facing couch would be cool with this thing

15. Hickey

Hickey

That 59 would make a great desk.

16. I figured someone would have a great idea for the '59...... Beyond a forward facing couch, I'm kinda stumped too.

Quintin, that Poncho front end looks cool. Hadn't thought of making a couch using the front of a car....

JH

17. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Make a toy box for the garden. You can store garden tools, toys or whatever. The trunk lid makes it weather proof too.

18. ooliverco@aol.com

[email protected]

This kind of CouchCar?

Attached Files:

19. Yeah that would make a great desk, been looking for a '59 Chevy to build one for my home office

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.