Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car and driver magizne... Scam and Fake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rotten johnny, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

oh so it was just a joke huh? I read the article and didn't see how it was supposed to be a joke. But if it was, give yourself a pat on the back for being the only one who got it.

2. F&J

F&J

These Jackasses won't be laughing for long when BMW steps in.

2 bit yuppie rag

3. rooman

rooman

What is "less than complimentary" about the photo. It shows Johnny burning rubber and an SUV in the other lane. It does not indicate that Johnny got beaten by the SUV and in fact one would assume that Johnny hosed the BMW. If they had a picture of the SUV ahead of Johnny's Nova at the finish line and insinuated that it was a heads up race with Johnny on the sort end of the results I could see that he would be pissed and rightfully so. He really should be pleased that they considered his car better photogenically than the car that they actually raced against (and lost to as stated in the text). If anyone was stupid enough to assume that this was a photo of the actual run that they made with the SUV (maybe they can't tell and Anglia from a Nova) once again the test indicated that the BMW was soundly beaten.

Roo

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers it never mentions your car. And it says that the Angela beat him handily.

As far as lawsuits for using your car, I don't think you have a leg to stand on as the photographer owns all rights to the original photo of your car.

Think if it this way, they thought your car was a hell of a lot better looking than the Angela or the Willys and it made for a better picture in the article. Mean looking orange Nova with injector stacks as to apposed to primered Willys that doesn't pop out of the page except to us Willys fans and the Angela rather disappears in the other photos due to size and color. Plus neither made the smoke you did and that was another selling point to the editors after the not so great photoshop dude got done with it.

I'd be happy as hell they thought enough of my car to put it in the article instead of pissing and moaning about poor me they used my car without permission and my buddys think the Beemer blew my doors off because they didn't read the article.

And yes I have read Car and Driver ever since it has been Car and Driver. I'm not real narrow minded when it comes to reading about cars although I have cut down dramatically in the past couple of years. Down from 15 magazines a month to about 7.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. It's less than complementary that they ran a bullshit photo of someone's car without asking. Legal schmeagal, it just aint cool. I'd be pissed too. No I wouldn't want my car in that snooty mag, either. All the cars they get handed to them to test and they go and do this with a photoshop hack job. F them.

6. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

it's bullshit that they photoshopped your car like this, but in my opinion you may be looking at this the wrong way. if people think your car is slow, they will have no problem putting their money where their mouth is the next time they see you at the strip, lots of money to be made here. as we all know your car would blow the doors off of that piece of crap, and look cooler while doing it.

7. Tony

Tony

Nice Chevy II and impressive times..
    i could care less about what's written in Car and Driver magazine.

8. my47soto

my47soto

I totally agree, that crap was very disrespecful. I would be pissed off if someone advertised my vehicle falsely.:mad:

9. I don't understand how you can stop C&D from running a photo of your car if they want to any more than you can stop Google or Terraserver from putting a picture of your house - and your car, if it's in the driveway - on the internet for all to see.

As for the article, I figure either it's sarcasm, or C&D is trying to put the BM into BMW.

I'm more shocked it took this many pages to delve into scatalogical humor, actually.

10. solo_909

solo_909

Just like the WWF that is NOT fake = )

11. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

how come when liars get confronted they always say they were joking? photoshop makes a picture of a thousand words into a thousand lies..what a shame a world without shame..is that the funny part?

12. Have a buddy go down to the BMW dealership for a test drive... be waiting at the track when he pulls it up to the line, have somebody video the race, slap it on YouiTube and post the link to this thread...

once it goes what the kiddies say "viral", BMW may take notice and pay you to yank it down. :)

13. chuckbob

chuckbob

This is another reason I don't read C&D. It is always BMW, Porsche, Honda, Mazda, blah blah blah..... Hey do you know the difference between a Cactus and a BMW? With the BMW the pricks are on the inside.

14. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

YOu know for all you who say he shouldn"t be pissed think about it like alot of the others have said! I don't care if it wasn't a real photo or not but you get a bunch of young kids in a high school library and they see this picture and to the untrained eye they see this piece of shit getting out front of Johnny think of all the shit they are gonna talk about american iron and how they should buy foreign bullshit! It's happeneing everyday with movies like The Fast and The Furious! A bunch of no nothing teenie boppers believe this shit so think about it how would you feel if it was your car in the picture!Rotten Johnny you do what you have to do to make this right by you there are more here on your side than not! Add me to the list of standing behind you! I would be super pissed!!!!

15. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Ok beyond the drama queen crap in this thread there are two truths and the only two that really matter IMO......

~ Whoever took the picture owns the rights to the picture to do ANYTHING they wish. The only time there is a privacy clause is if it it an individual, not their property. PERIOD. Whoever owns that camera and snapped that shot owns the media no matter what is in it. C&D need not contact you for anything, you have no part in it. You neither took the pic nor work at C&D. You don't have to sign a paper to take a picture at any track, but you may have to sign a paper NOT to take a picture for exclusive events.

~ BMW is knocking out SUV's that can stick 12's on the track and selling them to 5 ft tall 100 lb women with two kids in the back seat. Nobody (especially hot rodders) particularly likes the fact a soccer mom SUV can outrun exotics we at least gave a nod to in the 80's (Diablo, Countach, etc), but if the Germans keep it up you might be sitting beside one of these at the drag strip and cursing the whole way down the track. ;) Sorry if it offends the OP to see this in a photoshop, but it's happening, it's going to be a real picture next time..... Das Germans are building some haws-powa.

16. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Just because you've never seen a waiver or even read one does not mean they dont exist. There's a lot of things in this world I've never seen, does not make them any less valid.

All you guys that are screaming law suit and all that stupid nonsense need to be grounded in reality. The people that want to sue for any reason are whats wrong with this country! If your out in public, your fair game! What about all the celebrities that get photographed picking their nose at Burger King or any other place.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this thread is funny. it was a photo of your car in a world wide publication. that sounds good to me. you built a drag car to run 10's... big fucking deal. the USA is littered with cars that will do the same thing

what I take away from all this is that Porsche has built an SUV that will run a 12.8 bone stock. the baddest of the bad ass muscle cars couldn't pull that one off without slicks at the very least.

challenging Porsche to a quarter mile contest with thier SUV for pinks??? where you going to hide when they counterchallenge you to a 2000 mile trip cross country through some windy mountan roads and a bit of time on the L.A. freeway?

that's not to say that what you have done with your car isn't cool to the extreme. but i think you are over reacting.

18. jangleguy

jangleguy

Mike, you've crystalized my thoughts eloquently...
    Also, after looking at six pages of this thread, that BMW's really growing on me. Sure it's ugly and expensive, but jeez, it beats real race cars at the track (even if they are old obsolete ones)! Think I'm gonna test drive one tomorrow.

19. well said !!!!

20. you know alot ! oh did I type that ?

21. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Guys, I have seen several of you mention this idea.

I realize it has a certain appeal, but you're forgetting that the magazine doesn't actually own the car. They were loaned the car for the tests so they could write an article about it.

22. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Geez it isn't like The Advocate (Google it) put a picture of you tying your shoe on the cover or something. I'd be flattered, but to each (and his legal team) his own.

I'd be wary of challenging the Bimmer to a pink slip match race, they might decide to do it in the rain or snow. Instead of driving a shiny new SUV you might be taking the bus. :p

23. Kukenbolts

Kukenbolts

Roo just hit the nail on the head....

24. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

aside from who has the rights to the picture, i can see why Johnny would be pissed! i have not read the article, and wouldn't bother buyin such a snooty pos magazine anyway. BUT, i think he should go after the magazine for something. how bout something like "defamation of character"??? photo chopped or not, it still gives the impression that the nove got beat. Johnny and the nova have been nationaly disrespected! dont forget guys, in this country, you can sue a franchise for spillin hot coffeee on yourself! AND WIN!!! no matter what the out come of this, that nova looks like one bad mo fo!!!

25. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I KNEW that article was bullshit! My friend who nuts over anything with 14 hairdryers i.e "turdblows" and acst like thier gods gift to the automobile world was like it said it beat that gasser.I was like no fuckin way,that Nova is a straight axled RIP SNORT MURDER MACHIIINE! aint nooo damn way that yuppy scumobile beat that Nova Gasser. Glad The TRUTH is out now!

26. noboD

noboD

Rotten Johnnie, I think you should sell me the Chevy II for say $100. THEN sue them for being distraught over the fake pic. That would show 'em! The article about the GTOs back in '64 was NOT written as a joke, it was a giant fake. They faked all the comparisons to favor the American iron. Hot Rod did the same lieing and faking when they tested the red '67 Camaro SS, the one Vic Edelbrock owns. They admitted it all in their 50th anniversary mag.

27. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

i belive everything i read .hahahha;)

28. L.A-Bar

L.A-Bar
    from Florida

All magazine editors have a duty...not to their readers, not in any way, but to SELL ADS. This is acalled reality !

29. Mods;if I'm off base here,zap me as needed,but please let me know why...

RJ,I met you and saw your ride at Milan last weekend, and what they did was extremely unethical. Challenge their asses and since they're the ones playing the games,get them to pay for the track time. Better yet,tell 'em to get their butts to a "No E.T." night at Milan for a little grudge racing action,and bring their BMW.

I do know this: "Hair dryer" equipped rides can make SERIOUS horsepower,so the potential is there for that Beemer to be scary fast. Faster than the Nova? Possibly,possibly not. Back when I worked at B-O-C Engineering,Turbo V-6's were something I occasionally worked on,and those "blowers",along with EFI made that little Buick a serious contender.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  30. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Automotive magazines are having a very hard time in this fledging economy we're currently experiencing... Advertising revenues have hit rock bottom-- The money is seriously drying up for these magazines... The recession has put the car 'zines in a near fatal financial funk-- Does all this financial doom 'n' gloom justify faulty reporting and journalism from these same magazines?-- You can have your own conclusion to that extremely sensitive question... Believe it or not, many of the popular car magazines don't even pay their writers and photographers anymore-- The car magazines now expect a majority of their content to come to them for FREE these days (I kid you not!), times are definitely a changin' in the automotive magazine business... And yes, just like the rest of the media, car magazines now find themselves often relying on "sensationalism" and "slight stretching of the truth" in order to keep their already dwindling readership captivated... It's a rough 'n' tough business, I suggest cutting these 'zines a little bit of slack-- The car 'zines are desperately trying to stay afloat in this current unforgiving economy... "The Doc" (Celebrity Drag Racing Authority & Visionary)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.