Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Candy, Lace, Flake, Flames... wanna see WILD custom paint...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Apr 13, 2008.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Hey Kevo, I believe I met you at Reggie's before the round up last year. I could be wrong, but I recognize that caddy!

I have never seen any spray paint like that. You could try to paint it yourself. Painting isn't that hard, it's the prep that is the shitty part. One of those disposable hf paint guns is good for a couple of jobs. tcp global will have everything you need if you don't have a paint jobber in your area. http://www.tcpglobal.com/?gclid=CPfJ6YDPxq0CFWRjTAod3nW2iQ
    Spray out 3-4 coats of base, add pearl to clear and spray for effect (how much pearl you want to see), and 2 coats of non-pearl clear.

2. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

That is nice! Hows about some current pics?!?!?!

3. skee

skee

Hey Kevo,

You could check out Black Gold in Arlington. They can put any house of kolor in a spray can for you. Not sure how much though. Talk to Mike and tell him Ted sent you.

http://shop.blackgoldweb.com

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Good God man, we've hit the mother load!!!

5. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

lol, thanks... I'll give him a call

I spoke to someone at English Color/Supply and they said they could mix and load something into a can too... I'll call the Black Gold place though... better odds of getting it to match

6. skee

skee

Although Black Gold has it, it might not be the cheapest. I've had good luck with English Color too, so either one is probably a good option.

7. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

I've seen where they'll do pearls and some stuff like that, I haven't had a definitive answer to whether or not they'll do flake

8. skee

skee

Just a thought but I wonder if using different graffiti spray can tips would make a difference as far as flakes not going through the nozzle.

9. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

went to Black Gold earlier today... got a 12oz spray can of HOK white, and a 12oz spray can of clear w/a whole lotta blue pearl in it... $34 bucks... thank you for the tip sir, I'll post pics as soon as I spray it

10. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Kevo i'd be interested to see how this comes out using cans, another way to have some fun with paint at home. Next month i'm picking up some cheaper paint for practice on my airbrush and some HOK paints and pearls for a couple of first projects i'd like to tackle.
    There are so many cool paints and pearls i've just got to narrow down what i want to mess with as i can't afford to have a shelf of the stuff in every colour.

Post up pics when your done Kevo! Good luck

Dan:cool:

11. skee

skee

12. buick1962

buick1962
    from germany

The roof of my 1962 Buick Special Deluxe......

Attached Files:

13. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

That's a nice Buick!

14. Switchblade_Suicide

Switchblade_Suicide

Just finished CB750 tins [​IMG]

15. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

First attempt at a lace job. I'm happy with it.:D

[​IMG]

16. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Very nice! Good work!

17. 66cayne

66cayne

Your work on those tanks and helmets is like Christmas ornaments, beautiful.

Maybe you can find a tree big enough to hang them on..

18. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Looks very clean which means you got it nice and tight and didnt use too much pressure. the only thing I would have done different is I would have taped up that outline area to prevent the lace pattern from getting on it. that would give it kinda like a pinstripe effect.

19. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

here is my latest. These are without clear coat and a few more touchups to do but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 58 depala if you dont mind how did you do the torn lace on that tank?

iflip
    when your masking off lace does the tape sticky side get through the lace enough to make that nice crip edge or is there another trick so the paint doesnt bleed under between the lace and the tape/surface

21. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

this thread is phenomenal.

22. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

I'd love to see a pic of this bike when its complete. I'm kicking around a similar idea. If not board freindly can you pm or email it to me. Stellar work man!

23. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Frank thats killer man. Great job BUB.

24. i send you pics ,not realy boardfriendly :)

25. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Well I cut the pattern out the way I wanted it, sprayed some upholstery adhesive on it and let it set for about 30 minutes till it was not very sticky but stick enough to hold it in place, then sprayed it. I removed the lace as soon as the paint was dry enough to touch but not dried to the point that it would stick to the lace, I use a razor blade and very carefully lifted the lace so as not to damage the paint, then after everything had dried really good (the next day) I cleaned it with some wax/grease remover and then sprayed the candy gold.

As for the lace question you asked the other guy here is my tip. Tape off the area you want to put the lace on, in his picture you would tape up everything thats not laced first. Then you pull the lace tight over that area and tape it to the the tape you already put down. The other way would be like I did for that torn lace piece but do that for the whole area, the down side to that way is you have to be perfect laying out the lace or you will get wrinkles.

26. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here's a panel that I did for a charity auction at Arizona Bike Week . Flames , flake, candy and a little stripe'n .

Attached Files:

27. is this done with this autoair hotrod sparkle flakes ?