Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Can I convert my Lincoln Handy Core to gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, Feb 12, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I few years ago I bought my Lincoln Handy Core welder. At the time it was all I could afford, and has been pretty good for welding around my property. Now that I am going to do major body restoration I would like to use gas instead of flux core. Does any one know if this welder can be converted? I would really like a Tig but can not afford one right now.

2. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

No welders here tonight?

3. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

Not sure which model Lincoln you have .I have a Lincoln 110 v mig that originally was flux core only. I bought a conversion kit for $25.00 (on sale at Home Depot). Simple conversion, go buy gas and go.
    Ron

4. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

wow 25 bucks? I bought this thing at Home depot too. I will have to look. the model is called "Handy Core" I know it sounds kinda gay, but thats the model thats on the front.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

does it have a hole in the back with a plug in it . where the gas hose would go in . i did one for a freind but differnt model ,

6. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I don't think so but I am at work now so I will have to check later. Do you think I could convert it anyway?

7. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

It looks exactly like the weld pack, except I think I paid over 300 for it. Not that that matters, but I think it is a decent quility flux core welder if there is such a thing.

8. call the local welding shop that sells lincoln welders or get online and go to lincolns website. good luck.

9. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Our local weld shop is a Miller distributor. I will ask though.

10. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

most of those can be made into a mig , but dont put down the flux core i use mig and flux core all the time , flux core is stronger and hotter for welding heaver metal it can do thicker stuff then gas when it comes to low volt welders . you need to have that welder on its own breaker too right into the fuse box or it will work like shit check the instructions for breaker size or amp , check home depo they have all the upgrade stuff for the small lincoln welders

11. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

So if there is no hole in the back can I drill one to make it look stock? I kind of have an idea of the way it is supposed to work.

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

if the hole is not there i would think it cant be converted but i mit be wrong ,check the opererators manual .

13. zipper-z

zipper-z
    from MA

just a guess but I have the Handy Mig welder that came as a kit with the gas conversion in it. I would think it was just the handy core with the kit. Not sure but I would think it would be a simple conversion. I like the little handy mig for small jobs.

14. Onelow34

Onelow34

I have the same welder, and the same problem! I am getting a conversion kit from lincoln this week(I had to order) and when I get it I will be more than happy to get ya the part number to make things easier for ya. Just pm me

15. rramjet

rramjet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Lincoln 175 that I was using flux core on till I got some gas and I do recall that you are supposed to change the polarity of the output when going from one to the other. I suppose kit instructions would say so as well.

16. mista278

mista278
    from louisiana

i use to see the conversion kit all the time at home depot and sears and now i cant find it anywhere. anyone have a part number or know where i can find it?