Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

Camaro Subframe to a 1951 Mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricardo_rocha, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Im about to weld a Camaro Subframe on my stock 1951 Mercury Chassis...I've seen it done several times...But what I wolud like to see here is the nice solutions using the STOCK front clip...I've seen some sets around as you can tell looking in the following pictures!

Attached Files:

2. Pro Stock John

Pro Stock John Member

Nothing to add but some inspiration, keep going!
  3. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Hahahhahaha thats nice...Thanks!
  4. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed Member

Im about to put a camaro clip on a 51 chev fastback.... So im looking for ideas too.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

I will try to put some pictures as soon as I start the work...
  6. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

...but what im looking for are pictures or information on Mercury Stock Chassis solutions like the ones I post the pictures...Does any one know what those guys did to their chassis on that pictures?
  7. EXK

EXK Member

ricardo rocha, Thats not a Camaro clip in your post they are custom made A-arms by me. They use 1st gen camaro parts only. They are not a bolt in kit they need to be installed by a very good builder who undestands suspension geometry well. Rick

Rick Erickson of EXK
    951 678-3520
    Extreme kustoms
    www.exkustom.com

Attached Files:

8. George/Maine

George/Maine Member

I put a 77 camaro on a 52 chevy car and wheel were very close i used stock chevy wheel 5 x15 with 205 75 15 tires.They now sell narrowed uppers and lower to fix that problem. Handled very good after that.I think the Mercury has more room for wheels and thats a good clip for the mercury.The one in pic look home made maybe stock car racing.
  9. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Great, Rick!

This is what I was looking for...English is not my first language, so I guess I wasn't expressing myself in a clear way...I will check your website...Do you think would be possible to ship A - arms like yours all the way down to Brazil?

Thanks once more,

Ricardo
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a rear steering Nova front subframe on the 51 merc I had about 30 years ago and we cut the stock frame just behind the stock suspension and slipped the Nova stub in between the rails. the back end of the stub fit up to the X member of the stock frame with just a bit of trimming and made for a solid frame. The stock core support bolted to the front crossmember that holds the sway bar brackets on the stub. It should still work close to the same with a front steering stub.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  11. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Yep...I like those ways too...Im up to do something like this to my Merc...Im just wondering if I can avoid cut and weld my chassis...I dont see any problem in doing this but sometimes is good to put some thinking in it before acting!
  12. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

looks like your website is under construction...I really would like to know the price for a set like the one I see in those pictures (A-arms, Break Discs and etc...) and if you would ship it to Brazil...
  13. Pist-n-Broke

Pist-n-Broke Member

I have done the Camaro/Trans Am front clip before. It's easy to do as far as the joint to the stock Merc frame. I won't do another one as long as there are early rear steer Nova units out there. What I don't like about that unit is the tire track is to wide. Yes I know you can get narrowed A-Frames,,,but why? The early Nova is 3" narrower already. The other issues are the steering box is a Blister when trying to hang a rad. back where it belongs. You half to cut up the core support to clear. Also hanging a mount for the core support is a pain with the steering link right in the way. With the Rear steer unit none of these issues are there. Here are 2 shots of the T/A on a Merc. There is also a Nova on my 51 Ford chassis. It's a way better choice.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

14. LIFESTYLZ

LIFESTYLZ Member

Use a Jag XJ6 front end
  15. low merc51

low merc51 Member

I subframed my 51 merc with a 73 omega (nova) it worked out great,,as Pist-n-Broke said the early rear steer subframes are the best to use the steering box lines back up to the column very well this way .. I bought a vedio from then Mr. Merc and just followed the steps ..Tommy Stediem (SPELLING NOT RIGHT ) made the vedio and it is right on perfect.. It was still a little wide and I used 1950 chevy steel wheels the off set was just right then !!GOOD LUCK !!
  16. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

I would like to know if is possible to import a Camaro subframe all the way down form USA? Does anyone here have a Subframe to sell to me?
  17. slddnmatt

slddnmatt Member

there are a couple of nice kits that will bolt on to the mercury front suspension also if you are interested. Fatman Fabrications, and Jamco. i have used the Fatman components, very easy to install, only setback is they machine your spindles to run a ford or chevy brake rotor, so you have to send them a set of spindles, jamcos i believe are a direct bolt on. the lowered upwrights on both kits i believe are about 2.5". this merc has the fatman components and air ride on the front

Attached Files:

18. zapp69

zapp69 Member

Im yet to start on my Merc but Ive got a full Jamco kit including Discs.

Looks like nice stuff, hope it works out

Matts correct Fatman need your spindles thats why I went Jamco and I think I got an HAMB Alliance discount
  19. Drewfus

Drewfus Member

ditto....series 2

[​IMG]

If given the opportunity, I'd do as per sldnmatt, simple, and effective, with great results, and no subframe or complication.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)
  20. 49 Mercury

49 Mercury Member

Still waiting for Jamco for my front suspension. I think they are waiting for a volume run for the kits. I still want the kit though.
  21. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

I would prefer a solution like that...but waiting some of these companies to deliver it 'till here doesn't look something possible...I guess i will have to go to the Camaro Subframe solution...
  22. EXK

EXK Member

How about these ones, I rebuild the stock arms to use 1st gen camaro parts. They truly bolt in. The only real neg is they use the 4.75 x 5 chevy wheel pattern but they can be drilled and tapped to 5.5 X 5. I usally make them only for bagged cars but could make you a set that still uses the springs. These three mecs all have these a-arms installed. Both green mercs have bags and the black merc has stock springs with a dropped spindle with big 7" wide wheels and 235/15/70 tires.

I do have a few camaro clips avail but i think the shipping would be way to pricey but if interested in that style i can post some pics of how i install them also. Rick Erickson of ExK

Ricardo if you are interested please send me an e-mail @ extremekustoms@aol.com

Attached Files:

23. 13fox

13fox Member

God luck on your wait. I ordered rear springs Dec 3rd, been lied to a few times and still no springs. Maybe there's a good reason for all the lies and delays but he'd have to answer a phone or an email on a regular basis to explain it.
  24. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Actually I willbag my car! Im interested in your system...really...Camaro Clips are quite expensive donw here...Maybe your way could be interesting! I will email you!
  25. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Well after a long time I have the Camaro Subframe to my car...Now Im looking for some Narrowed Control Arms wich can fit the 1975 Camaro front Clip in order to have my wheels back in the proper place...Any suggestions???
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy Member

Ricardo, I used a 1979 - front steer- Firebird clip on my Merc. I think it may be the same as a Camaro, but not sure. I used the upper and lower narrowed control arms made by Heidt. Not cheap, but they pull the wheels in. ECI also makes a disc brake kit in which the mounting flange is moved inward 3/4 in. so as to make the track width even narrower, if needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  27. George/Maine

George/Maine Member

I think the mercury is wider then a 52 chevy car.The best wheels i have found is the 52 chevy wheel ,tire 205x75 x15,5x15 with a 3.5 backspace.
    I would try this first lot cheaper.
  28. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Ok! looks great! I think I will go for it! Do you have a Part Number for the ones you are using? Thanks a lot, my friend! Thanks for the Pictures. It helps a great deal!!!
  29. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

Nice! I will think about that too! Thank you my friend!
  30. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha Member

I got it! Thank you VERY MUCH, once more!!! Thats just great!!!