Register now to get rid of these ads!

Calif may go to retro plates if minimum met.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roughneck424, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Agreed ..... its not like they are not out there .... too soon to do knock-offs.

2. hbwoody

hbwoody

Everyone on this board should send a request for support:
    http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php

Request Support for A.B. 1658

I was the protagonist for the Y.O.M. (Year of Manufacture) license plate program that you signed into law during your first term as Governor. Now there is a "California Bill to create a Legacy License Plate Program" awaiting your signature. This requires 7500 applications that must be received by the DMV prior to January 2015. Originally the YOM program required 2500 pre-orders before it could be initiated. The 2500 pre-orders required was dropped from the bill because it just wasn't a real world requirement. I am asking you to drop the 7500 pre application that would require the applicant the need to wait up to two years to maybe get the license they applied for as per this requirement. The YOM program has been very successful and I'm sure the "Legacy License Plate" program will be even more successful and produce income for the state and make thousands of antique and classic car owners very happy as they continue to preserve these cars as part of California's great history.
    I sincerely do not believe the 7500 application requirement is a "Real World" request.

Thanks for your support in the past and your consideration now.
    Dan Simmons
    [email protected]

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

these plates won't be anything close to "period correct".

new plates, new numbering sequence, old style colors.

4. hbwoody

hbwoody

I'm not expecting "period correct" just something better than we have now.

5. Weasel

Weasel

If you have a vehicle that qualifies why not just get original YOM plates. It seems that this program is designed for PT Cruisers and other wannabes....:rolleyes:

6. hbwoody

hbwoody

It's just about options ..

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Have you seen Linda lately

8. Yeah, she's put on a bit of weight, but damn dude, she's 66 years old now!

9. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

I'll stick with my '64 EBU 911 plates. Screw Brown.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I used CA "historical vehicle" plates on my Packard, .....another option that is better than "new" plates.......

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hbwoody has a good idea. if in Cali why not support it, even if not something you would buy? give people options. save the political stuff for the voting booth.

12. colanut

colanut

13. SledDriver

SledDriver
    from California

In regard to the 1963 plates (yellow on black), used up to 1969 for cars and up to 1972 for truck and commercial vehicles.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. I have 1932 original CA--plates, and it is a { BIG PLATE. Not like 50s style.} I will also use
    what I have.

15. I had just the opposite reaction. I thought that they are trying to find a way to get more money be selling these. Next I expect they will start selling advertising space on license plates. They keep thinking more revenue is the answer when it is really less spending (can you say "high speed rail"?).

Charlie Stephens

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Colanut, I like your black Cali plate. Been thinking of doing something similar with my HOT ROD plate on the 55. Yeah, I know it would technically be illegal. Fortunately, we have a real custom car friendly bunch of police around here and I don't believe it would be an issue unless you were getting stupid...

17. colanut

colanut

I'm hoping the same. So far so good.
    Mike

18. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I just found out about this bill, and I'm pretty stoked on it!! Someone said "why don't you just do YOM if your car qualifies?".... Well first off, they are expensive as hell! sometimes almost criminaly so. I would love to run YOM plates on my Packard, but simply can't afford $300, $400, sometimes up to $700 for '51 plates with '53 tags.... Just not concievable for my budget.

Second, YOM plates don't neccesarily look "period correct" either... If your building a period correct late 50s style Model A, it shouldn't have '31 plates on it, it should have '56 plates, which the YOM program does not currently allow... (I've been contemplating getting those repop plates with my current number on em, seen a few cars running like that and it looks pretty decent. Illegal, but whatever...)

If the PT Cruiser next door will end up having black and yellow plates, so what. My Packard will too, as will my Buick, my Model A, etc... They have the same lame white plates now anyways!:D I'm all for it!!!

19. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

On that note, is there any pictures of what these new plates will look like? I would pre order em, but would like to see what I'm paying for before I commit...

20. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Exactly, why doesn't CA let you register a '32 with '56 plates? It wouldn't cost them anything to make '56 plates, they are already made! And, the state could charge whatever, hot rod guys want that look so bad. The YOM plates are cool but on a 20's or 30's hot rod, they look out of place.

21. Well here are 28 Legacy License Plate questions answered for you ....

key word is "Reflectorized" :eek:

(I predict this will cause original California plates to rise in value
    .. so go buy the real plates now !:D)

---------
    Q1: What is the fee to order Legacy License Plates?_A: $50.:p

Q2: Does the application fee of $50 apply to either a sequential or a personalized license plate?_A: Yes. The fee is the same for either choice of plate configuration.

Q3: Do I have to send the payment in with the pre-order form?_A: Yes.

Q4: Can I submit my pre-order online?_A: No. An online system for pre-orders will not be developed.

Q5: Can I pay with a credit or debit card?_A: No. Payment must be made by check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Q6: Can I submit my pre-order at a DMV Field Office or Auto Club office?_A: No. Pre-orders must be sent to the address indicated on the form.

Q7: I can't find the pre-order form on the DMV website._A: The California Legacy License Plate Pre-Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF) can be found on the Legacy License Plate Pre-Order web page along with other information about the Legacy plates.

Q8: Where do I send the pre-order form?_A:
    Department of Motor Vehicles

Legacy License Plates

Customer Service/Operations Support, MS H203

PO Box 825393

Sacramento, CA 94232-5393
    _This information is also on the form. Be sure to keep a copy before submitting it.

Q9: Can the Legacy Plates be assigned to any year model of vehicle?_A: Yes.

Q10: Can the Legacy Plates be assigned to motorcycles?_A: Yes.

Q11: Are the Legacy Plates going to look exactly like the license plates issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's?_A: No. Current law requires license plates to be reflectorized. However, as many characteristics of the older plates will be applied as possible.

Q12: If implemented, will the Legacy License Plate program eliminate the Year of Manufacture (YOM) plate program?_A: No. The YOM program will not be replaced by the Legacy License Plate program.

Q13: Can I pre-order the Legacy Plates as a gift?_A: Yes. The pre-order form contains an area to provide the recipient's name and address information.

Q14: How many pre-orders does the DMV need to receive in order to initiate the production of the Legacy Plates?_A: The law enacting this plate program (AB 1658, 2012) allows until January 1, 2015 to reach the required minimum 7,500 pre-orders for any one of the plate styles.

Q15: Will the DMV wait until January 1, 2015 to implement the program even if the minimum is reached before that date?_A: No. Once the required minimum is reached, implementation of the program will go into development.

Q16: How long after the program is implemented will I receive the plates I have pre-ordered?_A: Approximately 9-12 months.

Q17: If I submit a pre-order with a personalized plate number, will my request be reserved when the order is received?_A: No. Reserving numbers for the Legacy Plates could prevent someone else from obtaining their desired plate number on an established special plate.

Q18: What if the personal license plate number(s) I request is deemed to be unacceptable by DMV?_A: All of the personal plate number choices entered on the pre-order form will be reviewed for acceptability upon receipt. The form contains a check box to indicate if you would like to receive sequential plates if your requested plate choices are not available. If this box is checked, and all of your choices are deemed as unacceptable, you will receive a set of sequential plates if the program is implemented. If the box is not checked, your order form and payment method will be returned to you.

Q19: What would deem a personal plate number as unacceptable?_A: The plate number conflicts with configurations of other license plate types, or it can be construed to be offensive to good taste.

Q20: What if the DMV determines the program will be implemented, but it turns out all of the personal plate numbers I requested were not available?_A: If you checked the box on the form to receive sequential plates if your choices are not available, and your requested choices were deemed acceptable, you will receive a set of sequential plates. If this box is not checked, a refund will be issued to you as soon as possible after January 1, 2015.

Q21: The meaning of my personal plate request is a private joke among my friends. Do I have to explain what it means?_A: Yes. The department must ensure that the meaning of a plate configuration will not be construed as offensive to good taste.

Q22: Can I order a different style of personalized plate with the configuration I want, and then convert the number to Legacy License Plates if the program is implemented?_A: Yes. However, this will not be considered an exchange and the fee for each type of plate will be due when you order them. To view the fees for other types of special plates, go the Special Interest or Personalized Plates section on DMV's website: www.dmv.ca.gov.

Q23: If I send in my application fee, and the plates are not made, when will I get a refund?_A: If the program is not implemented, your refund will be processed as soon as possible after January 1, 2015.

Q24: What do I do if I wish to cancel my pre-order before the program is implemented?_A: Mail an Application for Refund (ADM 399) request to cancel your pre-order to the address shown below. The Application for Refund must indicate the refund is for a pre-ordered Legacy License plate and provide the configuration(s) requested. Mail to:
    Department of Motor Vehicles

Legacy License Plates

Customer Service/Operations Support, MS H203

PO Box 825393

Sacramento, CA 94232-5393

Q25: If I wish to cancel my order after the program is implemented and my personal plate number is reserved, will I get a refund?_A: No. A refund will not be issued once a plate number is reserved.

Q26: If the Legacy License Plate program is implemented, how will the plates be assigned to my car?_A: You will be asked on your order form to select a DMV Field Office or Auto Club office where your new plates will be shipped. You will receive a notice when the plates arrive at that office. Take your CURRENT registration card (the vehicle cannot be on Planned Non-Operation status) and your existing plates to that office to have your new Legacy License Plates assigned to your vehicle. If you will be picking your new plates up at a DMV Field Office, make an appointment at 1-800-777-0133 OR online at www.dmv.ca.gov.

Q27: Can I pick up the plates without assigning them to a vehicle?_A: No, the plates must be assigned to a currently registered vehicle when they are picked up.

Q28: What is the statutory authority permitting the development of the Legacy License Plates?_A: California Vehicle Code Section 5004.3 was added by Assembly Bill 1658 (Gatto), enacted in the 2012 Legislative session.

22. Hmm, so let's see, you send them Fifty Bucks, then you wait until at least 7,500 of the style that you picked get ordered and then wait another 9-12 months to actually get the plates! Shit, i'd be lucky to still own the car at that point, if it were a car that i didn't like enough to get real YOM plates.
    OR, come Jan 1, 2015 and there aren't enough orders, then you wait god knows how long to get a refund.
    Think I'll pass and keep my YOM's on my cars.

23. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Yes! California Legacy License Plate program is official.

Nice to see California being friendly to us traditional hot rodders. :)

Definately something I am interested in. I need to have my "BAD ROD" plate in black!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

24. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

so if there IS Prius next to you with legecy plates i'll bet you that's my wife car as she is always trying to make her Prius look like a beater and so is everyone else, this was the 3rd time that someone has hit it in the past 8 months that she has had it.

as for me, count me in, i'll get the new (old) plates on my vintage cars.

Attached Files:

25. deto

deto

Just heard it on the news. It's official. They're gonna offer the older style plates

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad