Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cadillac Powered 28 Model A Roadster Project Learning Experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormtron, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was also able to move the motor forward about 5/8 inch. It will make the exhaust clear much better I think. Hoping to fab the lower firewall soon with the help of Titus on the HAMB.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396652709.523276.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396652718.918471.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1396652729.944766.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    oliver westlund and fiftyv8 like this.
  2. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was finally able to get some more work done on the car in the last couple of weeks. I have been pretty overwhelmed by the firewall/pedal clearance situation and I think I just needed to step back. Plus with the classic season in full swing in Minnesota and trying to keep the Fairlane on the road, it was difficult to find time.

A few months ago I was able to pick up a set of Firestone dirt track tires (890 16s rear, 500 16s front) used from a buddy. I decided it was time to powdercoat the wheels. I had them blasted and I was able to powdercoat them myself in my uncle's shop.

IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0754.JPG

oliver westlund likes this.
  3. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at Iola earlier this month and I came across parts for another body. The back half was nicer than the one I had. The cowl was fair. It also came with a set of cut off deuce rails and cut down sedan doors. I was able pick it up for an okay price. Once home I started to separate the back half from what was left of the original subrials. Henry sure used A LOT of rivets. :) It took some time, but last night I was finally able to separate the two and bolt the new back half to my subframe. I am happy with the results. IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0815.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0825.JPG

oliver westlund, fiftyv8 and brEad like this.
  4. bfinch56

bfinch56

I remembered this thread and found it in a search.
    Been a month. Any update? I like the direction of your build. A roadster with cad 390.... what else is there to say?:cool:

5. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a ton more to report. I did get a chance to get the tires mounted to the wheels and the fronts bolted on so it at least half rolls. I am working with Titus on the Hamb to help give the project a bit of a kick in the butt. The plan is to get it to his place and thrash on it for a day. We will see how far we can get, but with him on the case I am confident that it will be a good day. :)

6. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dc47.JPG [​IMG] Really dislike Bendtsen's ugly ass starter motor used with their adapter. I used Chevrolet. I am pleased with it. Ron

7. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is much cleaner looking. Thank you for the input.

8. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Today was a big day. I was able to get the car to Titus' shop for a day of thrashing. Titus is a cool guy and is willing to lend a hand and knowledge to a project. We were able to fabricate the firewall, fabricate the ladder bars, get the trans mount sorted out better, Get the rear spring in, and work on the front end a little bit. It turns out I ended up with the wrong front spring from Pete and Jakes. I purchased it in June 2013, so I hope they can work with me a little bit. hopefully I can track down my receipt. I will try to get a shot of the car outside tomorrow. It is a little dark to try it now. IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0933.JPG IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0943.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0946.JPG

Seriously, thank you to Titus and my buddies Jake and Craig for the help. It couldn't have happened without them.

oliver westlund, brEad and loudbang like this.
  9. titus

titus

Im glad i could be of help, sometimes it helps to get past a couple of roadblocks, i always like helping when and were i can.

its gonna be a neat car.

10. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Cool build! Tuned in

11. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was able to roll the car outside for some pics in the daylight. I am pretty happy with the stance. Looking to lower the front a little hopefully with another spring. It looks like I may have not gotten the spring I ordered from Pete and Jake's. I will probably call them in the next couple of days. I also set my factory 3x2 intake on the motor and I should be picking up some carbs next week. I knew the SBC I had lying around would be good for something. :) It has been sitting in the corner of my shop for 2 years. IMG_0952.JPG IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0955.JPG IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0961.JPG

12. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned today if you are running a stock Model A axle and want the super low Posies spring (1001L), you cannot buy it from Pete and Jake's. They only sell the 1002L (1056L P&J part number) which is designed for the Super Bell axles. I was talking to the guy on the phone from Pete and Jake's and they claim they had problems with shackles hitting the axles, so they made the decision to use the shorter spring. A 1/2" may not seem like too big a difference, but it sure makes a difference on ride height. I am working to get a new main leaf made for the spring I have. Not a huge deal in the life of a build.

13. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been tinkering a bit with the roadster a bit lately. I had a snafu with my Fairlane and needed to do a transmission swap and I am hoping to get some rear seat belts installed in it before my daughter arrives in February. Gonna pull it out in a snowstorm if I have to. :)

I traded an SBC I had lying around for some 2G carbs (and cash) that will need a rebuild, but they should work well on the 3x2.
    IMG_0987.JPG

Next I started to work out the steering box mount. The frame rails are step boxed in the engine compartment so I had to trim the bottom rail a bit. I also decided the mounting plate needed to be a little more beefy so off to pick up some 5/16" plate. I used the original mounting plate as a template. Using precise tools like my sawzall and angle grinder I think it came out okay. I have it tacked in place and I think the location should work.
    IMG_0989.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_1021.JPG IMG_1023.JPG

I will take some time to clean up the work around the plate when it gets blown apart for powdercoat.

14. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe it has been so long since I updated the thread. I promise that I have been working on the car a bit.

A few months ago I was able to make up some brackets to go between the upper and lower bars of the rear ladder bars.
    IMG_1072.JPG
    Then I test fit them. Not bad for the first try without the car available.
    IMG_1073.JPG
    Then I got them tacked into place. The next step is to fully weld them in.
    IMG_1114.JPG

15. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next it was time to work on the floors. I talked with Titus and he gave me some ideas on how to do the floor. I started out by making some cardboard templates.
    IMG_1110.JPG

Then I transferred the pattern to 18 gauge steel. I left extra material on each side and used a brake to bend over the sides and a bead roller to put an X pattern in the middle for strength. After some trimming and fitting, I think they will do the trick.
    IMG_1107.JPG

Now I am finally able to set the seat in the car and sit in it for the first time. It felt good. The next step is to finish up the toe board area so the dash can be fabricated and the column can be mounted.
    IMG_1116.JPG

oliver westlund, fiftyv8 and brEad like this.
  16. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have also been toying around with the height of the front of the car. I was a bit annoyed that I was sold the wrong front spring, and it looks like the correct spring is a little hard to come by. I decided to see what I could do with what I had. I decided to remove a few leaves from the spring to see what it would do. I was pretty happy with the result, though now I will have to notch the frame at the crossmember. I think I will also get or make some slightly longer shackles.

Before
    IMG_0956 (1).JPG

After
    IMG_1127.JPG

The spring to frame clearance.
    IMG_1126.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  17. YJ4000

YJ4000

I like this build. Nice job on the floor. I'll be keepin an eye on this one.

Ryan

18. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the front end and shackle angle today.
    IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1137.JPG

19. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the kind words. This has been a learning experience indeed. Luckily I have great people to use as resources as well as the HAMB.

20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can I ask what your seat is from? I am looking for one for my 31 roadster and that looks like a nice fit! Thanks.

21. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The seat is from a 1st generation Caravan 2nd row. They work well. They are starting to be a little harder to come by now since the vans are about 25 years old at the newest.

22. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I will check the local pick and pull to see what they have in stock.

23. desotot

desotot

Great build, love your choice of engine.

63fairlane likes this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool ! Looks to me like you're doing great !

25. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the praise. I am having fun with this.

26. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Looking good Wade! Looking forward to more progress!

63fairlane likes this.
  27. Curious which leaves you removed.
    Nice to see the update and glad you posted this.
    Somehow we almost overlooked the spring notches in Pat's frame, good project for tomorrow morning, thought we were done welding and grinding.

28. Looks good! You're going to like the Cadillac power.

29. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I removed the top two leaves. They looked like more of a spacer.

Looking to get out in the garage tomorrow night and do some welding myself. :)

30. sharpmark

sharpmark

great writeup and pictures, thanks. just read thru from the beginning and really enjoyed it.
    given me some inspiration to complete mine.