Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buy or rebuild olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alanbt4924, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Alanbt4924

Alanbt4924

Looking to put a 394 in my car I have a motor that needs a complete rebuild. Would you recommend I get the parts and do it myself or pick up a remanufactured 394? I'm finding prices as low as $3000 and up to $6000. The low end has me questioning what components are used and if the motor is build the way I would like it. Torn between the two choices. Time to complete the job is not an issue because the car has a running engine in it. Thanks for any advise. Alan

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Are you confident you can do it yourself? Did you price the parts and machine work?

I'd do it myself, but you're not me.

3. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

I've done several, the satisfaction of seeing your own work running well is quite rewarding. Check out the literature available for rebuilding, there is a ton of info available.

4. Alanbt4924

Alanbt4924

I have not completely priced the machine work based on the cost of a Pontiac 400 I did a few years ago I'm estimating $2000 in machine work. So far the parts, in kit form, are coming in around $1800. At this moment a lot hinges on the condition of the block. The motor was seized when I got it, rust in two cylinders. So I am concerned about the amount of work the cylinders will require and I am not sure of the boring limits of this block, thought I remember something in the 0.080 range. But I may be wrong.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what State are you in? never know what you might find in your part of the world if you find the right guy. years back I found a fresh rebuilt blueprinted 365HP Corvette 327 done by a top level machine shop in one of those throw away mail delivered advertising booklets ad for $300.

6. Alanbt4924

Alanbt4924

I'm in mass up by the New Hampshire line

7. indyjps

indyjps

If you like the $6000 price better, I'll sell you one.
    If you're able to assemble, I'd say do the build yourself, you'll know what you've got. If engine assy isn't your thing, theres some pretty experienced 394 Olds guys on here that you can inquire if they would take on the assy work.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I agree with most of the replies, I hate someone else's rebuild. Even the rebuilders ,who do it every day, have a certain percentage of failures out of the box.

A 394 is not a cheap motor to rebuild, I am going through mine for the second time in 9 years, without ever firing the motor. The first machine shop did a hack job and between machining and parts I had about $3000 in it. It is now in a new shop and I will have about that much in it again. Even the rebuild kits for these are not sbc cheap. Usually around $1800 or so.

If it were me, I would take your block , heads, and parts to a machine shop and have them evaluate what you have. Then you have a place to begin.

Don

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm currently having a 324 done locally here in Baltimore. Kit was fairly complete. The new pistons were heavier. A balance had to be performed. The block ended up 30 over. The completed engine is $4500 less intake and carbs..............for the most part, stock J2 engine. I would not take on the task of assembling this engine...............sbc no problem

10. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Don't worry this is what it costs. Have you given any thought to a sbc crate and 700R? This is very dependable from coast to coast.

11. Alanbt4924

Alanbt4924

I'm currently running a sbc which is doing just fine. But I am a stubborn person, at least my wife says so, who has gotten bored with 80% of the cars I come across running sbc. Myself, I just wanted to run something different. I spoke with Tony at Ross Racing about a year ago about his 4spd set up and shortly after that this motor kinda fell into my lap. So that's why I chose the olds motor. I understand that the cost of being different can be higher my main question was if it would be better to buy an already built motor or do one myself.

12. I would talk to Dave50 in Fitchburg. He runs his own shop. He did a 324 for me and I have been quite pleased. I would have him assemble the short block and do the rest yourself.

13. Well, at least you talked to the right guy. Ross has built many of these Olds engines. Top notch stuff.

I have one of those beasts waiting for some attention in my shed. I shudder to think what I will have to do to it, if the time ever comes. Neat today for sure. THE beast alternative for hot rodding THEN. Sure does look good in period hot rods for sure! Makes an old guy smile.

14. Alanbt4924

Alanbt4924

My father was a big fan of the old Oldsmobiles, he had a 57 delta 88 that we upgraded to 3x2. That car has since been handed off to my brother, though it sleeps in my garage waiting for him to take her out again. For me the olds motor is perfect it makes the numbers I want in stock form and as said its perfect for a period correct car. I'm buy no means going to build a dead on period car from the mid 60's, as much as I appreciate them. I do however have a strong sense of nostalgia and truly appreciate those cars for what they are. Besides its boring looking at a dozen or more sbc along with a few bbc. Great motors just not the direction I'm looking to go with my car.