Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buried treasure in Hollywood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bumpstick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. RG49MERC

RG49MERC
    BANNED

i went down there today but couldn't locate the coupe but i did find some remains of a sedan..they were parts scattered all over the place

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. 53chevy

53chevy

Any pics of the '60 Pontiac. Looking for some for mine, basically the rear lower control arms. Thanks. Nice treasure too!!

Ken

3. official socal hamb dig out/meet and greet.......i'm in :)

now i'm gonna have to plan a day trip.....with a camera and tools.

4. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

GOD NO ! Don't cut up that safe , I'm restoring one of those..... I need some hinges, and a handle, and some.....kidding guys...:D..seriously though, I'm surprised I'm the first joker that thought to post that....just goes to show that 's what happens when you throw a 40 Ford out there.....stops cognative thinking like a short skirt or tight sweater:D

usually when someone posts this kinda thing , lots say don;t touch it, it's private property, but seriously, it's been there a while and I'm all for recycling, have at her !

just remember, when you get the remainder of the car out, you gotta re-weld the window panel back in...DOH !:p

5. Philbilly

Philbilly

That's cool! Dig it out and pull that flathead.

6. slammed

slammed

Very inspiring story/find. Keep us updated, please!

7. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

How 'bout this to add to the story..... read "the Tom Medley story" in the 2011 Jan. issue of Rod & Custom, page 28. Apparentley back in the day subscription money for the Peterson mags was stored in a safe and the safe was stolen. "They later found the safe behind the big Hollywood sign .... " Do ya think ...... :eek: :D ...... Forty Ford coupe.... busted safe ??? Hmmmmm :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. the hell with breakfast....y'all grab a shovell....

9. when i left CA there was 4 saveable cars out above China Camp off the SF Bay
    a 34 4 door sedan close to the McNear sistron way up on the hill

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. 55f100tx

55f100tx

Check out the headers on the flathead!

11. i found some parts for my 25 TT truck off Lucas Valley Road just about 1 1/2mi from big rock in the river bank

12. that is the stock y pipe

13. 55f100tx

55f100tx

i figured that out after the 2nd look, thanks. as you can tell, im used to looking at y blocks

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

we have a 50 XK 120R at the shop that has one of those in it.

15. 4speedman

4speedman

Those pics sure does spark the imagination, cool cool cool

16. I need more! Im addicted to this thread.

17. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I might be going back soon. See what else we can get.

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

you need any help?? Haha

19. roughneck424

roughneck424

I got this thing... Sitting just ~ 30 miles southwest of ya!! LA Traffic I could be there in about a week!!!

[​IMG]

20. Take this guy up on his offer ^^^^^^^

21. sololobo

sololobo

Really an interesting find. It sure would make a great story if someone could save this ride. Let us know the outcome, interesting tapped safe. Cool post. ~sololobo~

22. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I can just see it now. 15-30 HAMBERS show up for a recovery party. They spend all day digging out the coupe, winching it up the hill, along with the safe, and whatever else they can find. They get it loaded on a truck when Johnny Law (with mirrored shades of course) shows up and says, "What are you boys doin"

Great thread. I hope it continues

23. rusty28a

rusty28a

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Email someone at the town or someone at the police department. You'd be amazed at whos willing to dig up stories for you. Im sure someone in the police department will be able to tell something about the story and the car. It doesnt hurt to send and email or make a phone call. email is usually best for situations like this since they can take the time to look things up or ask around and then get back to you when they can. If it was part of a movie set; i'd be willing to doubt that the safe wouldn't have been cut into as part of the movie set. That is a very very cool find.

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

agreed

26. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Cutting the hinges will not allow the door to be opened on that safe. I am restoring a safe a bit older than that and have three others as well that I use to secure all of my cash....um....I mean guns. I am a fan of old safes and would collect more if I had the room!

Great thread.

Mike

27. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

I hope they did not clear it out. I drove past that sign 100s of times and never looked down the hill. I wish I did now. Cool find Los Angeles history.

28. Such a cool story. I need to go on more hikes.

29. bahumbug

bahumbug

Fairly easy to get into those old safes thru the bottom. Thin steel, a few inches of refractory cement ( air chisel works good) and sheetmetal then wood. Got into mine in less than 20 minutes. Historically they are usually empty but found $40. change in mine, an old Victor. Now repaired and undergoing restoration.

30. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Yea, I was in the "reading room" this morning and read that and remembered this thread. Makes me think Hamber's are everywhere:)

I'd be out there looking for more of that Jag too. I always find four door Dodges...