Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical bumper guard taillights

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chopit, Dec 21, 2014.

1. chopit

chopit
    from sweden

someone who has built rear lights in bumper guard? how did you get place with two lamps
    must be tail light + brake and turn signals
    this is in a Plymouth -49 bumper

2. hotflint

hotflint

I used a dual filament bulb, an 1157. I used a bulb holder with serrations all the way around. I made a piece shaped to fit the back of the bumper guard and long enough to hide the wires, then welded some nuts inside the bumper guard to hold the backing plate. I welded a piece with a hole in it for the bulb holders serrations to fit to make a t-shape.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are cute but some of them are so damned small and so close together that I doubt most drivers behind you would see them when you needed them too. Not trying to start a controversy but sometimes we get "too cool" for our own good or safety on our customs.

junkjunky likes this.
  4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

slddnmatt made these for me. There's a build thread he did on them.

Attached Files:

47 ford likes this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not tail lamps however I added traffic /park lamp signals to the rear over-riders on my 46 Olds by using front over-rider signals in the rear by cutting holes, mimicing the front placement to ensure that they fit when bar is reassembled. A bit too close but by law down here they are required and I don't want those ugly aftermarket units.. These are before shots. I picked up 4 x NOS units over time and just added LED bulbs so they won't be missed when illuminated. Plus they look OEM and won't even be noticed when done.

568590_271000708_Original.jpg 568590_271000712_Original.jpg

6. Here's mine. 50 Chevy bumper guards I think with Impala lenses. I had to cut down the lenses. They're epoxied in and then I used black silicone to make a nice seal between the guard and the lens. I got the bulbs and holders at Napa. Universal brake/turn signal deals. Could be better but they came out pretty decent for my first try. At night they are bright as hell.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419918785.172436.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419918800.136153.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419918822.041638.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

59Apachegail likes this.
  7. That's a 48 Plymouth so probably pretty close to your bumper.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. chopit

chopit
    from sweden

Nice uglysteve , any picture from back? I dont know exatly how to make my own lense yet. but I will cut down a par of lampholders to fit them

9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I'm working on a set of tail lights myself, I like your concept. I trimmed my lenses with a new hacksaw blade. Might be worth it to have a bad set to test on. As others mentioned before 1157 bulbs will do stop and turn. I am using these bright L.E.D. 1157 bulbs:
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420037005.592196.jpg

10. I don't have any pictures but i will try to remember to take some. I just cut a piece of steel to fit inside the guards and used epoxy to glue them in place, and cut a hole to put a universal light socket in.