Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building an aluminum gas tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, not sure about the magnets to ally joke, don't remember mentioning magnets, seen it in a John Travolta film I think, where another aircraft sticks a magnet to an airliner. Anything can happen in films, but in my video, all is real, if a bit 'Heath Robinson'. I'm retired from work now, so don't want to take anything on unfortunately, as I'm 71 and just enjoying my retirement with my drag-racing. Will post some pics next but I'll post the link now to my YouTube video. Tried to edit it down but didn't want to lose too much info. Hope it helps, Cheers for now, Pete. http://youtu.be/rw5lYMmxSB0

2. A pic attached of a Locost kit car I made the alloy bodywork for including the bonnet about 8 years ago. The mudguards and front nose section are fibreglass items which my mate Ian bought for the car. I think he is currently updating it with a 5 speed gearbox.

Attached Files:

3. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The way that I test a tank for leaks is to fill it up with water and then blow air across the welds with a blow gun. Keep the nozzel low on the surface and parrell with it moving it along the weld.
    This will draw water through any hole, no matter how small.
    The hole then can be welded up right away by positioning the tank with a small air bubble under the hole.

4. Back in the 1980's I sawed my old British Leyland van in half to lengthen it, in order to carry a long streamliner motorcycle. Thought you might find the 6 minute video somewhat amusing in places. I powered it with a Rover v8 engine. Can you imagine the bureaucratic and health and safety nonsense if you tried doing that today here in UK?! Here's the link:- http://youtu.be/eUY9PkH8kqQ

5. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

I use a radiator checker to pump up the pressure.
    You don't give the dimensions, but it could oilcan slightly, the vibration causing future leaks.
    So-Cal here in AZ sells a sealer that works with the ethanol gasses.