Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a Traditional 32 Roadster Beater

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FalconMan, Dec 18, 2015.

1. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Well ... where do I begin .....

I went out the GNRS last January and fell in love with many of the traditionally built 32 roadsters. I have several 30's cars, but none of them are really a true traditional build that this forum embraces so much. I left the GNRS on a mission... someday build a traditional deuce roadster..... but I was sure that would be a few years down the road.

By March I bought a Brookville project off the HAMB ads. I guess I really didn't see that coming, but the stars aligned to make this happen. Warning to self....I read the HAMB too much and end up buying stuff/cars... :)

It was a fair deal. What made me want this particular car was it sat on a gennie rolling V8 frame with a gennie firewall and a bunch of parts to make the start of it a little easier. I even got a title.

The plans are for a full traditional pre-1950 build. Flattie motor, Banjo rear, 39 Tranny, Big/Little Bias Plys, etc..... you get the idea. It is preached here on the HAMB. The reason my thread title calls it a 'Beater' is because it will be my summer beater. I don't build show cars. I live on a dirt road and rarely wash what I have. I will leave the frame and firewall 'as is'. The body will be gloss black. The interior will be a distressed oxblood leather. I know I am a poser with a Brookville body, but with the gennie frame, firewall, and other parts, I would like it to look much like the real deal built right after the war. It will be built to be driven ..... hopefully to the LA roadster show next summer !

Here it is before I started....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prior to buying this project I did manage picking up a couple flatties for future projects. I am lucky to have the choice of a 50 Merc with 40k actual miles or a rebuilt 48 Ford 59AB.

The 50 Merc:
    [​IMG]

The rebuilt 48 Ford:
    [​IMG]

The roadster sat all spring and summer. I am now finally getting to work on it this fall. I started off by seeing how the engine would fit. My first choice was the Merc because the longer stroke....
    [​IMG]

I learned that all flatheads are not created equal. The merc had some issue with firewall clearance. Also, the pulleys would interfere with the front crossmember. I really didn't feel like cutting up the gennie early deuce firewall.
    [​IMG]

So, out with the Merc, in with the Ford flattie, with fresh coat paint. The plan will to get it going as is, then change the heads and intake later. I also installed a rebuilt 39 tranny and new clutch. Hopefully the motor is in to stay for a while.... no plans to take it out. The car came with the 32 motor mounts... made it easy. I actually think the 59AB looks more traditional with the distributor up front. I happy with the decision. The Merc will have to wait for another project.

[​IMG]

More to come later ... I have been working the the suspension.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

3. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Hmmm... I can see them... I hosted them on google for the first time ... I'll look into it.

4. pictures not working for me either

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

gotta go poo...someone let me know when the pics are up

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hey, he is building it like traditional rides preached here. so, already know what it looks like.

7. First three pics is all I see.

8. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Sorry guys ... I had to share the files on my google images..... I learned something new ....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Yo Larry, the pics are working again !

10. Any thoughts about front and rear cross members ? They are usually the first things to go...Model A front and rear if you plan on a quickchange, or a flattened '40 for the rear ?

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cleanup on aisle three!!!

kiwijeff, 3wLarry and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Excited to see it come together!

13. haha. funny as soon as I saw the merc motor go in I was thinking to myself. "that's not gonna work." I also think the early motor looks better in there. Looking forward to updates.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. clem

clem

If I may ask, why will it not fit, or do you mean without cutting the front crossmember for pulley clearance ?
    Neat car by the way, and certainly not a poser just because it is a brookeville !

15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Early flathead looks cool. Will be watching this come together

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Loving it so far.:D............................Larry, pictures are up .:D

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  17. brady1929

brady1929

Geez Larry, how long does it take to change your depends?:):):):)
    Nice project.

3wLarry likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now that you put the "right" engine in I'm a little bit jealous. Keep them pics coming.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  19. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Another thread that he's been on the can, 3W get yourself a tablet then you won't miss a thing.
    You may miss the rest of the house, though.:eek:

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  20. Pete

Pete

21. Subscribed!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Cool project - glad you took the dive! Couple notes on the engines. You can always swap the front end stuff on a later 8BA style engine to the earlier 59AB stuff . . . and then it is dimensionally the same. But it seems you have that problem resolved.

Since you're running the original 32 style motor mounts (up front), you'll need to 'clearance them' for the 59AB fan belt to work. Another thing that I do is to shave the bull-horns off of the 59x water pumps . . . as they just stick out in the air - as you're running the 32 motor mounts. Here are some pictures of both of the above - if you want more information, checkout my FlatCab '1942 Merc engine' thread. If I can help you with anything flathead or 32 related - just PM me. Best of luck - love your project!

Motor Mounts: You can see the 'grooves' for belt clearance - along with my fabricated timing pointer (Driver's side):

32MountsModified2 copy.jpg

Here are the water pumps with the original mounts cut off of them:

2015-07-07 18.43.54 copy.jpg 2015-07-07 18.43.58 copy.jpg 2015-07-07 20.21.00 copy.jpg 2015-07-07 20.21.12 copy.jpg

Front of engine with everything bolted on:

2015-11-07 18.31.16 copy.jpg

cgc1958, brEad, Cyclone_racer and 7 others like this.
  23. RE: 39 Transmission and stock 32 Peddles: You'll need to acquire a 32 transmission clutch arm for the cross-shaft end. The 39 arm is too short and not in the right location to pickup and linkage from the 32 peddles.

The correct 32 arm is expensive and sometimes hard to find. I believe that Mac VanPelt has some cast repops that a lot of guys are using.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Great looking start,I love a beater. HRP

25. TERPU

TERPU

26. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

27. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I already have a flattened 40 rear end mocked up in it. HAMBer Titus helped me with cutting it down to length. The rear I have has some issue with the bearing surfaces... so I picked up another one which will hopefully be better and I'll throw some 3.54 gears in it while I'm at it. The car came with a stock 32 heavy axle... which is being dropped as we speak. Staying with the stock deuce spindles and steering. 40 brakes all around.

28. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Two issues with the Merc... cutting the virgin 'early' firewall for bellhousing clearance and second the pulleys. Both issues could be solved but after looking at a few builds, the earlier motors looks better in a deuce. The Merc will be saved for another project or end up replacing the motor in my 36 roadster or 37 truck.

volvobrynk and clem like this.
  29. Signed up for the ride on this one......