Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects building a hot rod model a truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crashhead, May 31, 2011.

1. So, between running a few shows, raising a family and trying to make a living, we decided to build something fun for ourselves.
    A buddy decided to sell a model a truck in pieces he got included in a deal, so we bought it fairly cheap, all in parts and missing doors, and a bed. It was just a half decent cab in pieces.
    So, we dragged it home, and started looking around for miscellaneous parts we wanted.

We knew from the start what we wanted the project to be like. We're building a fully driveable hot rod that will have a lot of attitude, be completely uncomfortable and loud.

So, being somewhat of traditionalists, we quickly bought a set of '40 Ford brakes for the front along with some ol' bones. We stumbled upon a 9" Ford rearaxle that will fit in just fine.

Since we want to build this fairly quick, and do not have a lot of money and also want to have a reliable car, we opted for a 283cui chevy sb. A healthy little thing, that we hooked up to a TH350 tranny.

We started to put stuff together a few months ago, and since we have about 2-3 hrs / week to work on the model a, the progress is kind of slow...

Our goal is to have it running later this year....

Attached Files:

2. Sounds like you got it figured out!
    Looks good so far. Keep us posted!

3. Here's a few more pics.
    We mocked the whole body up last weekend just to make sure the wheelbase, and the placement of the body / engine / rearaxle would look good. L o t s a measuring and moving the body around...

We're running a 4" drop axle, and the SoCal crossmember that'll lower it additionally...
    After channeling the body 6 1/2" in the front, and 5" in the rear, it was still way to high, so we pie cut the frame, just on the inside of the firewall..

It's starting to sit where we want it now..

Attached Files:

4. The truck sits nice now. just be careful with you caster angle, looks like you got way to much from your last picture.

5. Well, i still haven't mounted the brackets for the wishbones, i'll do that after engine and trans is installed, to get the right location for that. I will then adjust the caster angle as well.
    Got the chassie up in a jig, and will box it and step it this week!

6. Been boxing the frame, and made a 10" step last weekend. Mounted the leafspring in front of the rear axle to make it look smoother..
    Made a very simple jig by using another model a chassie, and welded both of them together with braces..Worked tops!!!

7. So, we've now boxed the entire frame, and built a 8" step.
    After cleaning all welds up, we'll be putting front and rearend back on. Mounting the body, and bed, installing the engine, and building a floor.
    After that we'll chop the truck and take some time to breath...run the upcoming show and such.
    Next step after that would be finishing the floor, and driveshaft tunnel, focusing on the steering, leaning towards a F100 steering box...

Hopefully, we'll have it running within 3-4 months if we'll have time to work on it that is....

Attached Files:

8. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Yeah, lookin' good. Keep us posted!

9. Spent last two nights installing a K-member, ladderbars, trans crossmember and welding engine mounts...DONE!
    Tonight we'll put the body back on, and start making chassiemounts for the cab an bed.
    Hopefully, we'll be able to chop it in a week or so.
    Simultaneously we painted the engine, rebuilt 4 carbs and polished the intake..It's slowly coming together!

10. Ok here we go..lined up the body and bed last nite. Body is chanelled 7 1/2" in the front, and 5" in the back. We want that cocky stance u know.
    The bed is shortened and we've spent some time making it positioned right. Don't want a stretched out truck, they look weird, as does too stubby trucks.
    Who knows, we probably won't ever be 100% ok with it, but we feel it's fairly good now.
    It's getting cramped already inside the cab, but shortly we'll chop it, then start figuring out steering and such...Getting some CalCustom valvecovers and lakestyle headers next week, and then we'll put the engine in there to be able to figure out where the mounting tabs for the wishbones will end up!
    Looking at the rear tires, and already wanna change em for white wall slicks......

Attached Files:

11. Awrite, so now we'll have to take a li'l break, run NCKO, have a well needed vacation and such.
    But, it sits about right the way we want it to..Might wanna change tire size, but it'll be easier to tell once everything is on it.
    Will get back to work on it in a month or so. Wanna drive it around October or so, time allowing!!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      454.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      550 KB
      Views:
  12. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's the perfect stance!!!!!! Nice!!!

13. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

14. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looks good,finish'er up. I like it w/no chop,just my $.02

15. badshifter

badshifter

Is the frame kick and rear cross member going to be in the bed, or are you raising the bed?

16. Kick ass little truck!

17. artandmaureen

artandmaureen

18. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Pretty damn cool, man!!

Malcolm

20. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

good lookin little truck

21. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

Great project. I am building a '34 and seeing your pics makes me want to get in the shop and work on it. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

22. The rear step and everything is done. The bed is exactly where it will be, not gonna raise it.
    A chop is coming up....

23. I think what badshifter was asking was if the rear crossmember is going to stick up through the bed floor.
    Nice work, can't wait to see it chopped!

24. Ok i see..and NO the crossmember will not stick up thru the bed. It sits some10" below the top of the bed. There will be a aluminum gastank behind the cab, and then a tuck'n'roll cover over the bed.

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I like the way it looks, but dang, I hope you're a little dude, because I couldn't even get my legs into that thing! :D

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Very cool little truck ..............keep up the great work.

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I chopped 5" out of my 30 Model A truck.

28. marioD

marioD

very cool - but don't chop it....

Mario

29. Big Nick

Big Nick

you nailed it! nice work

30. Racrdad

Racrdad

Man the stance is really nice. Looks good unchopped too!