Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bucket seats with Built-in Seat Belts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BeachRodder, Jun 28, 2008.

1. BeachRodder

BeachRodder

Anybody noticed any newer vehicles with bucket seats that have the seat belts integrated into the seats?

I'm aware of the Sebring convertibles and some of the Chevy/GMC pickups. Anyone seen any others that are not too big and without a high back? Low back with adjustable headrest would be perfect... Thanks for your help.

2. skidsteer

skidsteer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't find buckets, the middle bench from a 90's Dodge Caravan has seatbelts and a low back, although lap belt only.

3. James427

James427
    BANNED

67-70 T-bird's have integrated seat belts with a nice retro look but they are lap only. No shoulder harness.

4. bulltown_boy

bulltown_boy

I am also interested in this type of seat and have noticed that some of the later Buicks have them.
    Tom

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. red sled

red sled

Just upholster the seat with Velcro, and wear corduroy pants...

6. Alum215

Alum215

Newer Caddy seats. My brother put some in his 57 Chevy.

7. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

The 2003 GMC Envoys have bucket seats with the belts attached.

8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Scion buckets have seatbelts built in. My belts were bad but it was easy to adapt new retractable belts to the openings. Works great. Mike

9. Weaverville Studios

Weaverville Studios

What you are referring to is commonly called 'ABTS' or All Belts To Seats, meaning that the entire belt system is integral to the seats, thus not relying on the body structure of the car to support the seatbelt loads. Obviously you will need to mount the seat tracks to the floor in a proper manner, but what's nice about an ABTS design is that you don't have to cobble up any belt mounts or trust the B pillar's integrity- a real concern with old steel. In my personal opinion, I like the safety that ABTS provides because once again, the energy and stress loads are managed within the seat's structure.
    ABTS seats are very common in extended cab pickups, especially with the barn-door type of design as there is no B-pillar to mount the belt to.
    Like StompNSteer alluded to, you could also utilize a 2nd or third row seat out of a SUV or minivan...a lot of those have ABTS as well...and tend to be a lot smaller than 1st row seats.

Here's a rough list of some 1st row ABTS seats you may wish to look for...

Chrysler:
    • 1st generation Dodge FS Ram pickups with 4-doors
    • 1st and 2nd generation Chrysler Sebring convertibles
    GM:
    • The last generation (GMT800) FS GM pickups and SUVs, Tahoe, Escalade, Suburban, Yukon, 1500, 2500 etc.
    • Last generation Cadillac CTS
    • Current generation Cadillac SRX
    • Current generation Cadillac DTS / Deville
    • Current generation Cadillac STS
    • 2001-200? Buick Park Avenue
    • Current generation of Trailblazer, Ranier, Bravada, Envoy mid-size SUVs
    Ford:
    • I can't think of any domestic Fords that use ABTS...
    Honda:
    • Current generation of Honda Element
    I'm sure I'm missing many other ABTS seats, but these might give you a few to consider modifying to fit your project.

10. BeachRodder

BeachRodder

Thanks very much, all of you who replied--it gives me lots of ideas and things to check out. Much appreciated!

11. coryw

coryw
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha, NE

Weaverfille,

Thank you for the list. Do you know if any of these fold forward and would therefore be suitable for a two door car? It seems like all of these that I see are in four doors or pickup trucks with seats that don't fold forward. Thanks.

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Something else to consider: The Sebring seats (for example) won't allow the seatbelt to lock up without a switched 12volt source. Also, stay away from the airbag tensioners built into the seats. Leave those disconnected.

So basically, you'll want the heavy constant on for the power seat functions, and the light duty switched +- for the seatbelts.

13. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

The Scion buckets I mentioned also have pretty long tracks for front to rear motion but, also recline pretty far forward and almost lay down in the recline position. They would be fine in a 2-door car.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

most of these seats are too wide for the model a tudor. where your lucky to get 2 seats side by side that are more than 20" wide..any one use any of the before mentioned seats in a tudor? if so what ones do you recomend?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "captains chair" swivel bases in most conversion vans have built in seat belt brackets.
    You could easily modify the base to fit your needs. I modified a set I had to stick the seats in my 71 GMC daily driver. The seats bolt to the base with 4 bolts and the base bolts to the floor with 4 bolts in normal form.

16. I think they would look too modern, but if that's not important, go for it.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I have a set of stock tudor seats I can measure if you'd like. I plan to use them in mine, and may be able to locate another set.

18. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a rough list of some 1st row ABTS seats you may wish to look for...

Chrysler:
    • 1st generation Dodge FS Ram pickups with 4-doors
    • 1st and 2nd generation Chrysler Sebring convertibles
    GM:
    • The last generation (GMT800) FS GM pickups and SUVs, Tahoe, Escalade, Suburban, Yukon, 1500, 2500 etc.
    • Last generation Cadillac CTS
    • Current generation Cadillac SRX
    • Current generation Cadillac DTS / Deville
    • Current generation Cadillac STS
    • 2001-200? Buick Park Avenue
    • Current generation of Trailblazer, Ranier, Bravada, Envoy mid-size SUVs
    Ford:
    • I can't think of any domestic Fords that use ABTS...
    Honda:
    • Current generation of Honda Element
    I'm sure I'm missing many other ABTS seats, but these might give you a few to consider modifying to fit your project.[/QUOTE]

This is a great list - kudos for putting it together. It seems to me that the current Ford F-150 has these belts - at least some seating options have it.

19. Fenders

Fenders

I put (what the junkyard told me were) 1998 Nissan Sentra buckets in my 1930 coupe. I pulled them out of the car, but the car had no ID left on it.

I swapped them left to right in the A. The seatbelts now bolt to the floor frame in the center (between the seats) and clip in on the outside. The seat tilt adjust handles are now in the center. They fold forward so might be OK for a tudor, and slide forward and back. They have a headrest, but that could be removed. Nice seats, they cost me $50.

20. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

I'm using a slightly narrowed third row seat from a '04 suburban in my '36 chevy pickup. it's a bench seat with built in seatbelts and Leather.

21. Weasel

Weasel

Not entirely correct - the passenger seat in the Sebring convertible is entirely manual. The belt does lock up. The driver side is power. I have these fitted to a 1940 Ford work fine although I do have the power connected for the driver side. You will probably have to make a subframe to mount these.

Either go for the 1996-2001 seats without the airbag tensioners or retrofit the later seats with early type (manual) belt latches. These seats do fold forward and they are approximately 21" at the widest point, which is towards the front of the lower seat squab. Parts for these seats are hellishly expensive from the dealer.

22. JimBoB77

JimBoB77

DID you check out the Velcro and courderoy pants bit??? Now THAT was funny. LOL.

Jim.
    ###