Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought another Ford today

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by steinauge, Oct 15, 2015.

1. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

It is a 1950 Ford 2dr that is about all apart.The body is on the frame but that is ALL.It is someones failed project.The guy I bought it from had it for seven years and never touched it.Been chopped 3",dual tail lights,rear rolled pan.All appears to have been done by someone who had a good idea of what they were about.My intention is to build a Fordillac. I put one together 40 years ago when there was a 20 acre junkyard close to the house that I had free run of.It was a 49 with a 331 caddy and a 3 speed manual.This one will get a 425" Caddy and turbo 400 because I have a fresh one handy.If someone would be kind enough to explain how to put pictures up I will document the whole process.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am no authority on this...but have managed to put some photos in my posts on occasion.

Look at the three boxes at the lower right in the space where you enter a new post. The center box, "upload a file" is the key to posting photos. Click on that box and another box(es) appear and clicking on that will, or should, take you to your stored photos in you computer. When you find the photo you want, click on it, and then "upload"............basically, just follow the prompts.

Try it, practice a bit, and you'll get the hang of it.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Thanks, Ray. Yours is an uncomplicated method, hoping I can do it too.
    I have AT&T, and sending anything can be frustrating to the 'Nth' degree.

Steinauge: I had a '56 Fordillac, w/331 Caddy/dual range hydro. Fast back then... '65. (major pan/cross member interference, also dropped tie rod center link)
    More choices for steering these days...

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you both very much.I will try your method immediately hnstray.Atwater Mike I remember the same problems.I believe We cut up pans,notched crossmembers and spliced oil pump pickups until it all fit.It has been 40 years and a bit.

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Holy cow! it WORKED!! Thank you Ray! That is the hulk as it came off the trailer today.Here is another view.I have gotten the front clip off,cleaned the interior out and gotten all the body mount bolts out.Tomorrow I will lift the body off. DSCN0944.JPG

7. I wish you better luck with your Caddy conversion than I had. Here are some photos of me trying to get a 472/turbo 400 in my 51. I didn't want to cut into my Firewall and the bottom crank pulley was ahead of my Core support mount with motor tight against the Firewall. I won't say it can't be done just that I didn't want to do that much work .
    The Wizzard 51 Project 023.jpg 51 Project 024.jpg 51 Project 025.jpg 51 Project 026.jpg

jakespeed63 likes this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Congratulations on the uploads! I like your project. My first car, back in 1958, when I was 14, was '50 Ford 2 door. The dual tail lights with the rolled pan look good........

Will keep an eye on your progress. Best wishes with your project.

Ray

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

In this case I don't mind cutting the firewall.I do appreciate the photos,thank you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

unique challenges but, sounds like you will get it done.

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got the dash out.It is in surprisingly good shape.Also found the 2 hidden body mount bolts,an old floor patch had covered them.pics later today,I am off to the cruise in.

12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN0950.JPG Dash is in surprisingly good shape.There must be a pair of body fasteners still in there.I have so far removed 14,that was all the 55 had,but the rear of this body isn't lifting yet.

13. Looks like a good start. My first car was also a 50 tudor...mine being of the Crestliner version. I built a 53 Mer engine for mine. rockysfirstshubox.jpg
    Later I bought this 50 chop top sedan and sold it for 34 ford project money...
    50chopatdarsideshot.jpg
    after I sold it...................... 50fordblackgreenflames.jpg

Attached Files:

14. ahshoe

ahshoe

There are 14 body to frame mounts on 49-51 Ford cars, plus the one centered under the radiator "U" channel makes 15 total.

snopeks garage likes this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you ahshoe.There is no front sheetmetal on the car and I have 14 body bolts out on on the bench.I reckon I will get it up on jackstands and go over the undercarriage with a strong light.

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Well,I cant get the body off the frame.I X braced the body,strapped the doors shut and started jacking the rear of the body up.It came up about 2" off the frame and the rear wheels came off the ground.Got the front up around 4".I can see daylight between the body mounts and the frame.I put jackstands under the frame so it can only drop about 1",got under the car and started checking with a prybar.The problem seems to be the center crossmember,hard to tell.The 2 body mount bolts that go into it are out.It is a channel,so I can see into it and I cant see any other fasteners.Anyone have any ideas?

17. 51 Project 011.jpg Not sure if you removed the front seat runners from the floor or not. On my 51 the seat bolts go into the frame not just the floor pan. Make sure you take the runners off other than that it should come up. Here is a photo of my 51 frame with the body off. Maybe it will help. Those 4 studs standing up are actually the seat mount studs and body mounts.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk and gatz like this.
  18. 'Mo

'Mo

Just curious. Did you buy that car in Virginia? It looks familiar.

19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

pist-n-broke THANK YOU I had not done that.Well,actually I think I did,right now the studs are sticking up out of the floor but no part of the seats are in the car.Is it necessary to remove the 4 studs from the frame before the body comes off?M o I bought the car in Ocala FL. Same guy had it for 7 years.It was,according to the title previously registered in FL.before that.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got the body off! Some one had welded the floorpan to the frame under an old floor repair---?? DSCN0951.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN0953.JPG And the frame.Lots of cleaning ahead!

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

DSCN0954.JPG Got the rear end off the frame ,then fried the portable air compressor motor.I will get the rear apart tomorrow and see if it is worth repairing.

czuch likes this.
  23. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Didnt have much time today.Took the springs off the rear end. I got to looking at the parts pile ,it appears the steering boxes(2) that came with the car are both for something else.Anyone know where I can find a repairable steering box for a 50?

24. Chris at Shoebox Central has lots of parts and knowledge. Not super-cheap, but he's the go-to guy for parts. Might also check with Flattop Bob at Owens Salvage, he's a HAMB Alliance vendor and all around nice guy.

Cool project, I'm especially liking the dual taillights. People tell me it was a fairly common custom touch, but I think I've only seen that a couple of times before, once on a project for sale on the side of the highway somewhere in Missouri, and once in my garage. :D

[​IMG]

Keep the pics coming. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

stealthcruiser and volvobrynk like this.
  25. 'Mo

'Mo

I really like the closer placement of the lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A 4" body section would "easily" take care of that! :D

26. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thanks for the info guys.I got the brakes\suspension off today and took the rear end apart.Got all the brake parts on the way.For some reason the brake shoes are new-in with the junk brake parts?? And the front wheel bearings and seals are new ,how odd.I am trying to find DSCN0956.JPG someone local who could blast the frame.I can do it by hand but it will take some long time!

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like a nice start to me!
    That tail ligh treatment reminded me of Big A's shoebox.
    Just a suggestion,how about getting a beefier rear axle?
    I was just thinking that the Cadillac power might be too much for the stock Ford axle..

28. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I took the rear end the rest of the way apart today.It is a 4:10 and the ring and pinion are both bad.How anyone broke that rear end with a flathead ford 6 I don't know.I have broken a couple with slicks and heavily modified Y blocks but never with a flathead 6! Finnrodder I may well go to a different rear,I have a fresh 8.5" 10 bolt but it is a 4:11.Not sure what I am doing at this point.Spent the day cleaning,priming and painting brake and suspension parts.That is going to be going on for a LONG time.My current plan is to get the chassis finished,engine mounted and then work out the body.The bad rear will just make it take a little longer.Note broken teeth on piece of wood at bottom. DSCN0959.JPG

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looks like you have your work cut out for you.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo