Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bonneville in a Traditional Coupe!?! (SCTA)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crazycasey, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Just checking to see if you were awake.....LOL

2. Barely!

3. Dale, your mom is from the Black Hills?

4. Yes Sir! All of my family roots are from the Black Hills - you might call it my spiritual home. I've been coming to the Lead/Deadwood area since I was born. My Mom lives off of 385 - close to what is now called 'Boondocks', but us 'old timers' call it Brownsville. I'm pondering heading that way at some point - it is where all my heritage is. Heck, maybe we can get together and have some HotRod fun! :)

Here is a picture I took at XMas from the deck of the 'Hall Place':

IMG_1279 copy.jpg

5. Hey Gang . . . sorry to bogart this thread and take it another direction . . . now back to Bonneville!

B&S

6. One more Bogart.................I'll pm you my number Dale!

7. Was I not thorough in my reading of the rule book? I didn't see any reference to TO...that might be an interesting idea...

When we ran my buddies Matchless we found rust packed into the bottom of the steering stem nut, so I know what you mean. But please tell me honestly, am I being naive in thinking that by being super anal before going out on to the salt, using some of the various anti-salt sprays, and doing a thorough "nut and bolt" on the entire car after the event, that I won't avoid rust damage? That's one of the things that first interested me in the CC class; the ability to run a belly pan. Figured I could mitigate some of the salt getting up into everything...but perhaps this is just my naivety showing through...

Regardless, I'm not gonna lie, this post bummed me out more than the Roll Cage section of the SCTA rule book. Haha!

You are absolutely right. I noticed that shortly after making that post, and never went back to clarify. The rule states OHV, in reference to inline six cylinder engines, and I saw the pre-59 bit plus the 325" limit, and thought I was really going to be onto something with a destroked 331 Hemi. It figures that I'm not nearly as cool as I'd hoped.

It looks like I will actually probably build to the GCC class, and hope my 331 bored out to 354" isn't too embarrassing.

8. Hey Casey, not trying to bum you out on the ravages of the salt flats, but wanted you to really think about it and plan for it. It gets everywhere - in every single piece of equipment you bring, your tools, parts boxes, inside/outside the car - nothing is sacred . . . so just count on it.

If I was going to bring a car like I'm thinking you're bringing (just guessing), then I'd plan a full body-off-frame gig afterwards . . . and I'm not talking about taking your time on it . . . like the week afterwards! :) I'd plan to clean, lubricate and protect every surface of the car and all components - the salt will be in every single place you can imagine. This is perfectly doable, you just have to plan for it and do it straight away - you can't put the car in storage and worry about it the "next spring"!

I think you should go for it! You'll never regret the adventure and the people/friends you'll make are just plain awesome. Once you go, you'll go again . . . because it is exactly what hot-rodding is all about - the best there is. If I can help you, let me know. Be happy to have you pit with us, give you a hand where needed, etc.. Again - it is all about the people and the experiences we share . . . the cars are a distraction! :)

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

CC the flats are made of salt. It gets everywhere. Pure and simple. Is it worth worrying too much about? No. Its like death and taxes. It happens. My ancient Dodge pick up has been on the salt several times. Is it rotten? No. Put the sprinkler under it for a day or so when you get home. Get under with a hose and wash off what the sprinkler didn't get. No biggie. If it rains on the way home that's a bonus. Most of the salt (if not all) will be gone by the time you get home.

Tools and the like will rust too. Doesn't seem to matter what you do to them afterwards. They still rust and do bike chains. The solution is to bring Harbor Freight tools that you don't have to worry about. I have a crappy set of tools for the salt. And no worries.

But whatever you do don't let the fear of salt stop you from going. You can always take your car to El Mirage. It'll get covered in dust but dust doesn't rust. And El Mirage is a pale shadow of Bonneville. In 2013 the salt was damp and sticky on the short course. It packed my sidecar wheel fairing so bad I had to run without the fairing. Will it stop me from going back? Not a chance in hell!!

[​IMG]

volvobrynk and crazycasey like this.