Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville heads up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lou39, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

As you know the hotels during Speed Week get a premium for their rooms and have a no cancellation clause but the Quality Inn State Line in Wendover offered four free nights next year or a 50% credit on your credit card if you call and cancel before your arrival date. Better than nothing.

2. Maybe it will be dry enough next year.

3. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Looks like the nugget is/was refunding for about a week, here is a cut and paste from the SCTA website
    SPEED WEEK 2015
    HAS BEEN CANCELLED

The SCTA President/Race Director Bill Lattin & the BNI Chairman Roy Creel spent this morning (July 20th) on the salt. The most they could find was 2 1/4 miles of salt suitable for a safe race course. The rest of the salt flats
    are either wet or wet and muddy. If the wet salt gets
    dry, future events could be possible.
    The Nugget will be refunding for reservations for one week

BNI Membership Form.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Copied from the Landspeed racing site........................................................................................ In continuos rain & wet salt I bored a small test hole over 2ft deep between lands end & the dyke.
    The story that there is a layer of dirt on top of a whole pile of salt is absolute bull $hit!!
    There is a thin crust of salt on top of an 1/8th to 1/4" of a dirt-salt mix (varies down the course) with about a 1" crust of hard salt crystal under that, then that crumbles into sloppy brine dirt/mud & by about 2" down, it is straight brine dirt with no salt crystals at all & that was the same beyond 2ft.
    I bored some shallower holes about every mile or so with the same results & then another 2+footer at the 7 mile mark with the same result. I crossed over to what is probably Mike Cooks course due to location & direction & that was the same. All holes were beside an existing marker & I filled them back in so I took nothing away.
    I took pics & video of everything but will need help from a friend to assemble & post all this $hit.
    I spent the rest of the day getting pic's & video of Intrepid's pumping system & canals then climbed the two highest mountains behind Wendover to get a bird's eye view of the salt, the canal's & Intrepid's pond system. I did this to give everybody some understanding of how this all works but the scale of it even surprised me.
    About 15 miles east of Wendover on I-80 there is another canal with a pump on it that was running & feeding a canal on the south side of the railroad & it's a big muther but I couldn't get any visual's as UHP ran me off.
    I'm running on fumes here with a lack of sleep in the last couple of days, I'll get the visual stuff to you as soon as I can.
    Sid.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx Sid, for your efforts and your post.
    Maybe someday I'll get a chabce to make it out there to see Bonneville Salt Flats and Speed Week. That is if a solution can be found to what's destroying a national treasure.

6. Sid,

Thanks for doing this. Not sure if I'm looking forward to this information or not. Hope we can make something positive out of it all.

7. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

really hope this gets all straightened out.. I went a few years ago and would love to go again next year..

its the best place on earth in my opinion

looking forward to see what ya have Sid.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

RichFox - Thanks for passing along info

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Mike Cook is up there to see what he can. What ever he comes up with will be the word for me. We might fly up for the tears and beers at the Stateline.

10. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Most of the hotels have refunded all but one night, an expensive one, but better then a total loss. All but the Super 8 last I heard

11. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks Sid for your investigative efforts, they are really appreciated. I had a hard
    time swallowing that layer of dirt story also. Rich