Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 50 years of "Playing ON the Freeway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Empty space where Beulah used to be -- I have a hole in my heart -- that's fillin w gladness for the kind and generous individual whose taken on Beulah's "rebirth" for me -- AND -- for ALL those folks who have contributed to my mission's cause in helpin me help others unconditionally thru the years --

"It is one of this life's most beautifull compensations that one cannot sincerely help another without helping oneself in the bargain" IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1324.JPG

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

3. Yikes! :eek: This is kind of starting to look serious all of a sudden... ;)

With all of the gear that you unloaded, are you sure you don't want them to drop that body on a 3/4 ton pickup chassis of some kind? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

This is certainly exciting !! I can't wait to see her all shiny again.

On a side note , knowing you and your mission has changed me. I stopped and helped a couple people this past summer , that I might not have a couple years ago. I know , you help more people before lunch each day , but I am certainly more rural out here ;) . Ya get the idea though ...

5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

she's gonna be somewhat lighter when reborn -- gonna sort thru all the gear and "prioritize" some ;) thankee Claymart :)

6. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thankee Allen, I'm honored -- ya just never know ---- where yer kindness may go --
    GOOD ONya!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    G-son likes this.
  8. Outstanding! It looks like an established shop and Beulah is in good hands.

Walking a little taller and smiling to yourself?

9. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]

was havin lunch w my bro Wednesday - and a fella comes up to me to remember how often he'd seen me in the local mountains 30 - 40 years past -- pullin folks outta ditches, puttin on snowchains, and havin a great old time :)

ah, the memories --

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. seatex

seatex

Great news about your car and what you are doing in southern Cali :),
    ..............but it still begs the question................:confused:

11. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

12. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

13. Thomas, it was great to hear you on the Mike Slater show. It does my heart good to know that Beulah is going to be put back on the road. You're a good man and I'm proud that San Diego can call you our own. Yours is a life well-lived, my friend. You and Sheila stay safe out there and may God bless you.

14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

thankee kindly Saxman :)

15. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

July 2008 LA Times story

slack likes this.
  16. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Have you considered putting disc brakes on the front?It's a great thing your doing,there should be more of it, Gaz!

17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I'd LOVE to have disk brakes! *Wished* for em many a time! but, I'm VERY gratefull that she's bein brought back at all --

thankee oldcarguygazok

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  18. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Today I stayed home & did yard work - got a call from my longtime friend & barber Darel -- had some running issues w his 55 Merc - dropped by w it and I tinkered some -- left the ranch w a BIG smile on his face for how it was runnin after :) -- short time later, I got a call from him:eek: he'd run outta gas on the 2nd St onramp to I-8 WB -- NOT a good place to be:rolleyes: Soooo I hurriedly prepared to go GIT him outta harm's way -- encountered THREE less then avarage drivers AND a young girl-child who apparently has never been taught to LOOK before she crosses a street :oops: AIE CHIWAWA! :(

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  19. It's Amazing the amount of stuff you had in that car... but why the Pool table???

Hahaha...

glad to see it coming together!

20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Everyone needs a hobby , lol !

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Bout all Beulah's gear -- GOT a garden tool shed -- full [ needs rearangin, sortin, clearin out some ;) ] and my barn's a leetil "lighter" now that a lot of the stored parts fer Beulah have been transported up to Vista -- but -- sortin thru all this gear, arrangin, discardin, & decidin what'll go back IN to Beulah [ when she comes home ] will haveta wait for a day I git a "wild hair" [ inclination ] to DO so :rolleyes:-- My "Git up and go" runs out a littl sooner now then it used ta :( & I liketa save it for goin out to "play" [ helpin folks ] :cool:

22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

gonna BE a while ---
    IMG_1349.JPG

24. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

25. Beau

Beau

Excellent to see this follow up! You should add a link to the original post on here so folks know the whole story. This is a GOOD one!!!! Super excited to see all the pieces falling into place.

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

August 10 2011 2:00 pm in the afternoon transisitioning from the NB I-5 to the NB SR 163
    *this* happened --
    http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblo...an-diego-highwaymans-rig-totaled-in-accident/

*IF* things go as planned and hoped for -- Beulah will once more be "On the Road agin"

Doin these kinda things aGIN -- http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandiegohighwaymansweblogonlinediary/

-- on or near the 4 year anniversery of her bein killed -- this August - September of 2015

here's hopin Shela and I are still here theno_O

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

"Road Dogs" Shela and I -- TO this music score --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2wctKsoNk8 imagine if you will, the shop door rising -- Beulah backin out into the street -- us headin out to "Play on the Freeway" -- comin upon folks stranded -- gittin em under way -- them drivin away wavin w smiles on their faces -- cruisin around searchin for more folks to help -- findin some -- helpin them -- finally, at the end of a beautifull day, headin home to the ranch, pullin into the shop, and the door closes behind us ---

I LOVE the dogpark episode in this :) [ watch the background action ;) :) ]
    and -- near the beginnin of the video, we traverse the exact spot where Beulah was later "killed" in 2011 :(

Beulah's "name" inspiriation http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19111/19111-h/19111-h.htm read this book in 1964 I did -- kinda amazin how much the I-5 I-805 merge area here in San Diego today *looks* like the highways depicted in this [ then SciFi ] book. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

only one assist today -- but a FUN one :)

vids will be posted as they finish uploadin

Eastbound and homeward bound from a uneventfull midday cruise -- I spotted a handicapped transport van sittin on the WB RS w a LR FT --

Went around to go back and help --

driver had the spare down BUT -- there was a padlock installed in one of the lug holes [ no key ] bolt cutters I carry made short work of that :)

Gittin TO it -- lugs were HD and SUPER TIGHT -- my "persuader" tool made short work of loosinin them :) I let the young fella put *his* back into loosinin em as I switched the socket from lug to lug :)

then my handy dandy SnapOn impact [ THANKEE Marc! ] ran them nuts off easily --

had anuther of the fellas, who showed up to help, position the heavy spare for me -- [ [ gittin smarter in my old age ;) ] and I ran them nuts home :) spare was fine on air
    [ unusual ;) ]

Sooooo aWAY we went -- w me LIT UP to cover their launch -- we [ Shela & I back to the ranch to cool off and rest -- it's HOT here :p feels like MID summer after the winter that never was and the spring that never happened :p

NO shade, as my trees don't even have buds onem yet :( maybe *they* know sumthin I don't? ;) Would shure be NICE to *have* some "winter" HERE!

All the ski areas, the townspeople who depend on em, and *I* are - am HURTING w no income -- :( Come ON MA! [ Mother Nature ] Let's HAVE some "weather" here PLEASE?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  30. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

from a few years back ----

an image from this video is an engraved glass littl sayin on Beulah's dash that was givin me by someone I'd helped once -- "If I cannot do great things, I'll do small things in a GREAT way!"

That sayin is STILL on Beulah's dash as she is bein reincarnated for me up in Vista by a very kind and generous stranger -- updates'll be posted here as I gittum for anyone interested --

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.