Register now to get rid of these ads!

best instant gas tank repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buschandbusch, Jan 24, 2007.

1. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

hey all, I'm looking for a "stickier" product than the Permatex instant tank repair. I mixed the putty to their reccomendations twice, and could not get it to stick to even DRY metal at all. I washed my hands extra careful, kneaded it as reccomended, and used the plastic so it wouldn't stick to my fingers. But, it refused to stick at all and just fell off. It's a little tiny seam I'm trying to repair, not a large hole so there really is nothing to bite to. I tried JB weld and JB Kwik, but those did not stick to the gasoline wet metal. Is there a product that is sticky like JB Weld, but that will adhere to gas wet metal? :confused:

I need to use this to avoid disassembling the whole car to get the tank off (Model A). It's just weeping a bit by the column mount.

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

unfortunately that spot is notorious for leakage. due to the fact that your column mount is there you probably won't be able to get it to stop. any type of leak there is bound to start again.

3. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

this will sound odd,but for a temp fix ,,mushy soap,,that stuff on teh bottom from sitting in a wet soap dish..hardens like a rock...

4. brown n down

brown n down

the permatex putty shit sucks balls, had it fall off twice then i tried a fiberglass patch kit that i found. still no dice. i finally usedthis metal filler made by permatex that comes in a tube and it worked like a charm

5. Go to a Marina or most boat repair facility and get their "Fuel Tank" repair putty... this is designed to be placed right on the leak and cure quickly!

Most larger boats have fuel tanks incapsulated in the hull and this is the only way they can stop a leak without separating the deck from the sideboards!!!

6. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

was this the stuff by chance?

[​IMG]

and did it go on wet metal and dry quick?

Would the boat stuff work on metal do you think?

I'll give the soap a try as well, can't hurt anything. Gotta do a temp fix at least until I can pull this tank out. It's just barely weeping, so the area around the colum looks wet and you can smell it. It's not dripping or anything, luckily

thanks guys

7. brown n down

brown n down

the soap works good for s short time in my experience but impeeds adhesion when you try to actually fix it.

im not sure if that was the shit, dont think it was a clear package, but i remember that it said that after it dried you could sand it, drill it, tap it etc. etc. etc. also said that it was gas resistant

8. Nothing will really work there for a long time. Every time you get in or out of the car, you put a bit of weight on the steering wheel, which transfers down the column and opens the crack again.

9. True. My dad had to pull his tank and have it sealed with a chemical tank liner. I know it aint what you were hoping to hear.
    2 yrs..... still no leak.

10. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I used JB weld on a wet leaking fuel tank once, and it's still leak free after about 11 years. It stuck to the wet metal. Maybe not the best way to repair one, but it worked for me and was cheap.

11. One thing that works well for a TEMPORARY repair is usually included in a tank repair kit but can be had at any drug store:a piece of pure glycerin soap.The kind that looks like the color of honey.Rub it on to the leak area and it will stop instantly.I don't know why it works but it does.I learned it from my uncle who used to work on cars and airplanes.I've used it myself on several occasions and even keep a small piece in my car for emergencies.

12. Lakota

Lakota

Back in the 70's a stone popped a tiny weep hole in the curve of my gas tank. It was just enough to cause the gas to squirt out. I stopped at a gas station and bought a chemical that uses two chemicals to harden, gasoline was one of them. The guy instructed me not to bother cleaning it, just squirt the stuff on the hole. I did and watched it go from a steady stream, to an intermitten stream, to a drip, and finally quit. all in about 20 seconds. Ask around, this stuff has to still be on the market somewhere. It was not a Permatex product. You may have to search the net.

13. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

true, so true, I'm sure that's how it started. A while back I had asked about it, and was going to pull and repair it, but only got half way. Guess I have to bite the bullet- there's no easy way out of this particular type of crack!

14. extremist

extremist

Tried POR-15 epoxy putty? Yeah, the same stuff used to restore steering wheels. They say it will fix gas tank leaks without having to empty it first.

15. The boat stuff is designed for metal fuel tanks and should work on poly tanks as well.

The boat stuff has been used on 600 gallon tanks and has held up for 15 or so years later.

This IS the stuff you want...!!!