Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best/Cheapest Crate Motors - where/how?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heckler, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

I'm looking for a crate motor, probably just a 350.....

Any ideas on where I can look for a good cheap one?

I've checked with the Chevy dealerships - they're about $1600 for real basic motor.

Ebay is about the same......

C'mon, somebody give me a good idea!

Thanks!

Ben

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Best and Cheapest are not terms often coupled together for car parts, and NEVER for engines.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Look in your local "Little Nickle"...usually engine machine shops advertizing 350 longblocks @ $750.....or @ $950 for a 300hp 350.
    Napa and Shucks/Checker/Kragen @ $950 as well......

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

If you don't mind assembling, try the Performance Parts Warehouse. They stock so much stuff, you have to get a catalog in advance, to order online.

Also try www.speedomotive.com for turn key crate and stroker engines.

5. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

I spent over a thou on just machine work on my 454. How do they do it?

6. at $1600 , i assume you are talking about the basic GM Goodwrench motor. Jeg's has them for $1479 plus $149 shipping , so it's about the same money . if you shop around you may find a place to sell one cheaper...i bought a couple of them this year and got them for $1400 delivered to my door

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I know it's not exactly what you are asking, but several guys on the board (J. Cougar, JeeperCreepers, Firedome, Lux Blue etc.) have gotten remans from http://citymotorsupply.com/ . As far as I know, they've all been happy with them. I know that's what I'll most likely do when the time comes on the '58.

8. FredK

FredK
    Member Emeritus

9. montclaire

montclaire

Check your local adverts. It's not uncommon to see an ad similar to: "1985 suburban, rebuilt 350 w/1500 miles, bad trans, some rust. $900 cash call 555-xxxx"

10. when you buy a crate motor read the warranty carefully as you will find it must be installed by a certified asme mechanic or the warranty is void! and if you read further of the list of parts that must be installed in association to the engine the $1,600 you just spent on the motor just doubled. in the 80's i worked for a engine reman. plant that mainly supplied the ford dealerships and unless the warranty was followed exactly it was tough luck! we had different labels so if you bought a motor at :the ford dealer,napa,sears,montgomery ward or us directly they were all the same just different prices!

11. I've used a rebuilder in Houston for decades(A.G.M.) for Chevy short blocks with excellent results, for under $600/trade in. I always specify Moly rings, and they give you a choice of a few different cams. Getting them without the core plugs or heads installed gives you the oportunity to clean the cooling passages really well, something a high volumn machine shop has no time for. Small blocks don't need forged pistons unless you are going to spin them into the stratophere, like over seven five, so a Duntov 30-30 is still do-able. You can source the heads elswhere, like I recall Scoggin's-Dickey had a great deal on Vortech's that already had the valve guides machined for higher lift, think they were under $500/pair, is that price still current?

12. Ter409

Ter409
    from NE Oregon

Montclaire has made an excellent point with his idea.I bought a used Chev PU recently with a very good running 454,turbo 400 trans. I was able to check out everything before I laid out the cash. After getting all the parts I needed I traded what was left for a running 440,with a rebuilt 727 trans. The 454,turbo 400 is now in my 1949 Packard. The 440 is getting stroked for my race car. Two complete engines and transmissions plus alot of small parts. Total out of pocket $ 900.00. Ter55409

13. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I know of a few guys that have bought completes from auto zone . They seemed to work out very well. A shop can buy one for around a grand ( 1000) and thats a 350 four bolt engine with a three year warranty. :)

14. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Like GMC Bubba sadi check with autozone, pepboys, and advance auto parts stores there pretty cheap and knock off a good couple hundred when you give them a core. Ive done it with many t350 trannys and they have worked out perfect plus you get the warrenty. which is real NICE unlike on craigs list or the paper

15. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

About 6 months ago I could get a 350 long block at a Nashville dealer for 1350, or a 290 HP Chevy performance for 1800 long block as well. I used to buy the 1350 ones and deliver them to local areas for 1600. Helped pay for mine !

48 Poncho

16. phat rat

phat rat

Try these guys. Their right up in Lubbock, I bought one from them 6 years ago and nobody around could come close to them on price

http://www.sdparts.com/

17. geemann51

geemann51

18. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

1200 bucks will get you brand new gm crate engine go to there web site 13000 will get you a 505 hp Ls7 complete mtr

19. It's all in the setup.
    1 Setup to do whatever to chevys, and then do all the blocks in the shop.

20. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Competition products oshkosh wisconsin has a 350 shortblock pn.sb350-d for 750 dish 770 flattop no core.

21. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Ben, are you looking for new or rebuilt? what's it going in and how long do you plan on owning it/how often do you plan to drive it? a rebuilt will be cheaper, a new will be more than worth the extra few hundo $$.

for new, check ScogginDickey, Summit and Jegs. Rebuilt, just go with a local shop near you and make sure it's a place that you're able to talk to more than a few guys that've gotten rebuilds from that shop.

GMPP(SD,Summit, Jegs) has the 330hp/350H.O., it's a vortec head hypereutectic piston, PM rod engine with a healthy cam...and it's all brand new. they come in three option levels: long block, 'deluxe' carb-oil pan w/ water pump and 'turn key' which is complete with serpentine accessories and ignition; best thing is, for being all new, it's pretty dirt cheap.

22. montclaire

montclaire

Must be a mopar thing

[​IMG]