Register now to get rid of these ads!

Before there was Chip, there was Sam.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 29, 2011.

1. i agree ETwagon. chip's style may not be to our taste but he is a damned good designer. that being said i'd have a sam car over a chip car any day:cool:

2. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Love Sam's work. Didn't he also build a 40 conv(?) that was widened about 6"?

3. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

+Sam has been there and done that. But my favorite car of his is the "ALA CART" he got it after AMT was done with it, he restored it then later sold it. Roger

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Hey! Let's not defame a Malcontent. (see below)

I LOVE Sam's work and he passed his eye down to Chip without a doubt! Some folks just can't separate a genre they don't care for from the talent that made it. I would get all giddy to meet either one of them and give up my first born to apprentice in either shop.

5. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

I agree

6. Brickster

Brickster

I met an instructor from the BMW step program training center that told me a story about getting a custom "square bird" in trade for a paint job on a daily driver truck. The guy that originally owned the custom had one of the guys in his neighborhood do all the work, that guy turned out to be Sam Foose. It sounded a little too good to be true but it was a great story. Fast forward a year or two and I was lucky enough to be working a Wyotech when they hosted an overhaulin' build and over that week I took as many oppertunities as possible to pick Chip's brain and listen to his stories. It was a great time, I asked him about the t-bird and it turns out it was just as the BMW instructor said. Chip was in his old neighborhood and noticed the silhouette of the T-bird missing, he was upset that he had not had a chance to get the car because he would have jumped at the chance. If I remember correctly I heard the instructor faithfully restored the bird to its original custom state. My memory is lacking some of the details but it was a good story.

Brick

7. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

I'm stoke to see this thread. My dad went to school with Sam Foose at Santa Barbara High School. He's got some great stories about how Sam and some other names I can't quite remember right now got started customizing when they were kids. I remember when Overhaulin was on one day (he'd never seen it, and I avoid it usually because i can't stand what Chip does to perfectly good rides) Sam showed up and my dad who is now 75 practically freaked out! " SAM FOOSE!!! I WENT TO SCHOOL WITH HIM! WHAT IS THIS SHOW???!!" Well, we watched a little more, dad waxed nostalgic about a whole slew of people from back then and all the people involved in the Santa Barbara hotrod scene... I gotta get this stuff written down for posterity!

8. 6inarow

6inarow

Disagree

9. MASSENGILL

MASSENGILL

You are obviously talking about the lower half of the guy on his knees as compared to his upper half!

10. Ok I changed my mine,its awesome. I promise Ill never have an opinion again.

11. The checkerboard firewall is what pops into my head first when his name is mentioned ... Shows my age i guess

12. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

shut up.

13. Wow! This is a pretty cool looking shoebox. Love the proportions and that it actually is unchopped and sectioned. Any chance there are some more pictures of the car somewhere?

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

I think it's a great look.