Register now to get rid of these ads!

Battery cables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Factory Jim, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Factory Jim

Factory Jim

Hello everyone...this is just the second time I've posted a question...so here goes...what gauge do you use for a battery cable if the battery is 10 ft from the starter...a'32 Victoria with the battery inside in the rear. AND, how long should the negative battery cable be?...I've read the neg cable should be as long as the positive...why?...thanks for your time on this...Jim

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I use a 4ga in my T and it's about 3' from the battery. For 10', I'd run a 2ga. I think the further, the thicker.

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

With my trunk mount battery I use #2 copper from the battery positive to the starter (about a 10 foot run), #2 copper from the battery negative to the frame at the rear of the car (2-3 foot run), # 2 copper from the front frame to the engine block (2 foot run). I also have a smaller woven ground strap from the body to the frame. Car starts like it has two batteries, quick and easy and no charging issues. Larger diameter cables can handle more current so the further away the battery is the larger the cable needed. I use the chassis as a ground path so no need for a full length ground cable.

4. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

yes, the thicker the better for longer than normal runs. i like to use welding cable because of the finer strands. as for neg. needing to be as long as pos? i've never heard of that one. my ground cable are about 18" long to the frame in the trunk, then in the front frame to block with another shorty. i solder the joints, and then use industrial heat shrink tubing.

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  6. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

The negative battery cable doesn't have to be the same length, but it should be the same size (gauge). I ran a smaller size ground from the engine to the frame on my 50 Chevy and couldn't figure out why it didn't want to turn over very good. By accident, I touched the smaller wire. It was very hot. It was at that time I had my DUH moment, realizing I should have used the same size wire. Change wire, start easy. Live and learn!

7. yes , the thicker the better...i usually use 2 gauge

for the ground cable i rum it right to the engine block,not the frame. then two ground straps from that same spot on the block..one to the body and the other to the frame

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I think the important limit is voltage drop in the cable(s) when BIG amps are needed for starting, especially starting in cold weather. More normal circuits with possible constant load may be limited by long term temperature rise of the wire itself.

This link to a Car Craft article lists a typical starter circuit drop or 0.1 > 0.2 volts when cranking.
    http://www.carcraft.com/howto/116_0507_top_10_electrical_fixes/viewall.html

Here's a cable sizing calculator based on amps.
    http://www.colemanair.us/vp_asp/Scripts/Articles/TheBasicsAndBeyond5_WireSize.htm

( I put in 200 amps, 10 feet one way, and 2% voltage drop which would be 0.24 drop in a 12 v application - it says Use a wire size of 4/0 AWG to prevent a voltage drop of more than 0.24 Volts (2%)).
    I've seen 20 below here in Massachusetts, so I usually put on the biggest pre-made cables I can buy for front mounted batteries.

If I could get a nice low voltage drop when cranking using short ground cables connected to the frame I wouldn't buy a full length ground cable.

9. 2/0 is more than adequate to handle up to 250 amps under 14" according to the guidelines that I have used for years. In actuality even 1/0 will do the job providing it isn't some real high compression motor with starting issues.
    As for the ground, as with any cable, the shorter the better (less resistance) and use the same diameter.