Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Find Unfinished 50's Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave_D, Jul 3, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW!!!!!!! Great find! Get ahold of someone in the VSCCA, Vintage Sports Car Club of America and find a home for that chassis. My guess is there are more Wildfire bodies than original chassis that need to be matched up. It wasn't a good match for that super 28-29 RPU in the day, and age hasn't improved the look. Lots of A and '32 frames looking for that cab and shortened bed. Sorry, were are my manners, WELCOME TO THE HAMB! Nice intro.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Hahaha perfect...... That thing rules.....

3. James427

James427
    BANNED

Wow, great score!! Must have been a blast seeing it for the first time and then digging it out. Was it "reasonably" priced??

4. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Anyone know what wheels them are? They look cool

5. titus

titus

yep, sell off the frame, and build a new one for the rpu.

jeff

6. I would look into the 'Go-Cart' hot rod Brock Yates wrote about a few years back. That rod outcornered a lot of Ferrarris back in it's day in the late 50's.

I'd do that BEFORE I tossed the frame.

7. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Build it as found! Not another cookie cutter "traditional", this is just a long term project brought out of hibernation in the barn cave!

8. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

I think they're old trailer wheels, they are 14.5" diameter.

9. 55chevr

55chevr

The frame is sharp but not for a Model A ... the cross members look like 40 Ford ... if it were mine I would look for plastic body and build both ... Joe

10. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

My thoughts exactly the Bleed sweep!

11. i am good friends with a guy who has one of the 12 original woody woodale built factory sports cars
    that frame is rare and worth a good penny to someone with a "kit" wildfire not a factory built wildfire
    12 were built in the factory and xxx were manufactured as a kit to put on your own frame
    let me know if you need/want his phone number
    tom

12. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

My Opinion Also! Quite unique and interesting story/history, but looks like poor hot rod material. WHAT A GREAT BODY THOUGH. Perley :)

13. Dave_D

Dave_D
    from NY

I'd love to talk to anyone who could give me some more info about the frame. Check your PM's.

14. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

Nice buy... hope to see it in person sometime soon. Good luck finding a buyer for that frame!

15. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The caster on the front crossmember is the wrong way. That frame is a loser, the asvice to sell it off is spot-on.

Joined in 2005 and only six posts? You been busy? LOL

Seriously, though, nice find and you done good.

16. DMFB

DMFB

That frame is crazy as shit lookin. I'd almost use it just because it's different. There may be too much pitch though. Dunno. Awesome find though for sure! I loves me some craigslist.

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I looked at the web sites for those frames. You should offer to sell the frame to one of tthe people who collect those sports cars. Allow that frame to be preserved for the use it was intended. Better than hacking it up to make a hot rod frame out of it. Build up your A frame for the body.

18. fms427

fms427

Well,HRHD, I just happen to be building a Woodill Wildfire, and am interested in your frame - the wonders of the HAMB. I can fill you in on the history of the wildfire - PM me and we'll talk !!:D

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The caster is too! Man that would back up dead straight!
    Such a cool find, that chassis has got to be worth some good $$ to the right guy. Its too rare a piece to cut up.
    Go with a 32 chassis I say.
    Doc.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sell the chassis to someone with a Wildfire body. Saving stuff and seeing go to a proper home while funding your project is what the hobby is about these days. Same deal with the other thread with the Pre 1915 aluminum hood.

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

Another selling point for that frame is that it has a factory frame or unit number which can be used to register a "kit car" with. Using a vintage VIN (the one on the frame) and thuse having a vintage car and title for the project/body that someone else may have would easily increase the desirability and value of a "kit" woodall body. It would also make it eligible for some forms of vintage racing.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

23. I agree, that frame is aweful. Good thing they covered it up in the Wildfire.

24. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

Attached Files:

25. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm not so sure the caster is out just because the spring crossmember appears to be tilted forward.
    That frame is full of angles which throw the eye off a bit and the crossmember could even be installed backwards for ease of installation. The spring might be mounted like that to clear the rad, with the spring mounts at the wishbone bent to compensate.
    Who knows?!?!
    The bones are modified for tire clearance and that gives a bit of a tilted look to those too...

I'd reserve judgment until I saw some weight on the frame and an angle finder on the spindle.

Interesting car. Be good to see that frame go towards putting another Wildfire on the road!

26. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

man...that's a crazy frame! Look at that front cross member!!!!!!!

27. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

congrats on your find ! amazing how you drive miles looking for projects and end up finding one right under your nose you never knew was there !