Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banger basics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rand Man, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

I've searched for early Ford 4 banger threads, but they all seem to be on high end discussion. I have in mind, starting with a stock Model A chassis and building from there. I have found one that doesn't include the engine and trans. I can find a stock Model A engine. Should I look a little harder an go for a later B motor? What is the difference? How do you indentify a "B" engine. I have heard that there is technicly no Model "C" engine, but the "C" crank is counter weighted or somehow better. How do I know what to look for? Please, some help for a banger novice.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Thanks guys that stuff is perfect. I'll have to read-up.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

OK, I've bought a Model B diamond block. Guess this is a good starting point. Problem is, it's a bare block, not even main caps. Anybody have any spare B caps? I need a lot of little parts. I know the B crank is different. Will a Model A oil pan bolt right on?

5. 36Brua

36Brua

Contact FAST Ford A Speed Technology. and links in other replies
    http://www.hotforhotfours.com/index.html Jim Brierley FAST pres. has written articles on A/B, B/A can be confusing. can answer your pan interchange question. He Em me a couple of his articles... I'm still confused but not as badly. Ha

6. 4ever4 those tech downloads are amazing. This thread is already great...

7. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'll contact Jim. I'm looking for a complete Model A engine (somewhere near Arkansas) to rob parts from. Couldn't I have Model A main caps machined for the larger crank size?

8. nexxussian

nexxussian

I thought (after reading the stuff posted by Enbloc / 4ever4) that if you were looking to run the bigger mains that the billet caps were the way to fly??:confused:

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

You're right, I should search for billet caps. The price of machining and lack of strength of something else defeats the purpose.

10. The "A" pan would work but will require some modification, the pan will have to be dimpled to clear the larger "B" rods and it will require a larger radius for the cork gasket on the rear main cap. I make my own main caps out of mild steel some makers use alloy steel. Google Taylor Engines in Whittier CA they have the heavy main caps

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Well I've solved this question by buying a complete late B engine and trans. Can't wait to get it and tear into it.

12. Warmer 1932

Warmer 1932

B oil pan and main caps and rods ford sale. Don

13. What parts do you intend to rob? There are very few that interchange.

Charlie Stephens

14. Remember that the Model A transmission supports the wishbone mount and the brake/clutch mounts. You will have to build replacements if you use the B transmission.

Charlie Stephens

15. 97