Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bakersfield Western Nats - Not So Bad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spork!, May 1, 2011.

1. Spork!

Spork!

So I hadn't been to the Bakersfield NSRA thing since 2003. I wasn't sure what to expect with the new 30 year cut off thing.

It wasn't too bad. There were a couple mid 70's Chevy pick up crusing around and a stocker 81 Trans am but mostly a lot of nicer 50's/60's stuff. Still probably at least 80% pre-48 stuff. Some beautiful Deuces, 33/34 Fords and other fairly traditional cars. Still mostly street rods though. A hand full of HAMB friendly cars.

The best thing was seeing people I haven't seen in years. Here's a little story:

In the very early 90's I was there with my '34 3 window. There was a guy with a gray primer glass '34 3 window but it sat right and looked good. We started talking about the cars and then bikes. He had a Shovel head chopper with a blower and showed my photos. Ended up hanging the rest of the night drinking beers and talking cars.

Him and a couple of his buddies ended up buying a few cars from me. Sw him a few time over the years but then he moved back to Louisiana. Figured I'd never see him again.

Anyway, I'm walking around the fairgrounds and see this bad ass 5 window. This thing is over the top, metal flake paint, Rat Fink stuff and a blown 392 Hemi. I love it!

Anyway, I'm looking it over and above the drivers door it says "What's the problem, officer?" which was cool and on the door sill it says "Lillard" and I think to myself, there is only on guy in the world with that name. Sure enough he's sitting behind the car and says to me, "I know you!". Anyway, it was pretty cool catching up on about 20 years of stuff we've been through. Don't know if it's been shown on here before or not but it's too cool not to again!

There is an X rated cartoon behind the magnetic one on the glove box door. The yellow car is my old '34, the same one I had when I met him about 20 years ago.

Attached Files:

2. roughneck424

roughneck424

I went too.
    Been a few years since I have been. I liked it. Not to big not to small. Didn't have to wait in line for a beer. Good selection of cars. Went home before the night time cruising started though...

3. Spork!

Spork!

There was no nighttime cruising! They used to cruise until at least midnight. By 7:30 this year everyone was in bed! :eek:

I left Saturday night about 9PM because no one was left!

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I go there just to eat at Milts Coffee Shop. I was there Saturday only.

5. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I know this is and old link but I was wondering if any one here is planing to attend the western nats this year April 24-26, 2015? I will be flying over to attend this year and it would be nice to meet some Hambers there.

6. cretin

cretin

I should be out there, cruising around and checking out the swap meet.