Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Bad Brake Light Switch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blown240, Mar 19, 2011.

1. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Is it possible for a brakelight switch to blow fuses? On my buddies 50 Shoebox if I jump the 2 brakelight switch wires together with a piece of wire, the lights work fine. But if they are plugged into the switch and you hit the brakes, the fuse blows.

To me that says bad switch, but I have never seen one. If it matters, he is using a dome light switch from a Volvo 240 as his brake light switch.

Thoughts? Also, it seems like brake lights should be on a 20 amp fuse. He is running a 15 even though its all 12-14 gauge wire.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the switch is shorting out inside. I well understand the use what ya got theory but I think I'd install a brake light switch designed to work with brake lights.
    The door switches are designed to work a couple of times a day when you get in and out while the brake light switches are designed to work on a regular on and off basis.

3. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

Thanks. I went and got a brake light switch for it. The guy at the part store had a good point that I never thought about. Alot of door jam switches, even the ones with 2 pins, are grounding switches. That would explain the blown fuses.