Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 to SBC Swap Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Oct 25, 2014.

1. My flathead is in the machine shop and likely will be for months. I have a old 283 that runs so considering dropping that into my 31 Roadster temporarily. I am running a 39 3-speed and original A Banjo with closed drive. Using a 32 Repop K-Member and 32 pedals.

So outside of the obvious radiator and motor mounts. I know I need a early Ford to Chevy transmission adapter.

Can I leave the K member, trans, pedals in place and use them with the SBC?

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

YUP!!!

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Thanks Frank, will I still be able to use my un-split 32 wishbone?

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

on the first question yes the bones may not be wide enough but try putting motor in very carefully and see.

5. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

How will the distributor go with the firewall ?,,,i have asked a few people a similar question and the feeling is the firewall needs clearencing for the dissy,,,except for one who said he had never owned a SBC,,but he is a legend,,,,...I have an early A and want to do the 265,,,,,3 speed T/L,,,Model A rearend,,,,I know a small block will squeeze in an early A engine bay with open drive components ,,,,

6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

An SBC with small cap distributor and short water pump needs a minimum of 30.5" from the radiator to the firewall. This puts the fan .75-1" from rad. and leaves just enough room to turn the dist.

7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

I always thought that if you set a SBC on the floor next to any car ever built, the engine would install itself, and cost absolutely nothing. Congratulation for choosing a real engine, for final build.

8. It is a lot of work for a "temporary" installation. I bet it stays in there forever (don't ask why I am saying this). Is there something else you can upgrade on the car while waiting for the flathead?

Charlie Stephens

9. Charlie Stephens[/QUOTE]
    That sounds great, I better move the SBC closer to the car as it hasn't installed itself yet :)
    I definately want the flathead but with one daughter in college and 2 right behind her the flathead build may take longer than I would like. I'm learning life requires more compromise the older I get. I thought it would be the other way around.

There is definately that danger...

10. I have an aftermarket recessed firewall I will use for the SBC. I have a beautiful late 31 that will wait along with the flathead.

11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

MSD makes a small blower distributor for sbc who's cap is 3.5" diameter. I was considering using this as my firewall clearance is really tight. The only problem besides untraditional looks is it requires a box and is mechanical advance only.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 55willys

55willys

I was able to put a sbc in a 31 A. I used a zipps hi rise water pump, mechanical fan, stock distributer. I had to eliminate the rectangular wiring box and use a hammer to create a little more clearance for the cap. Don't worry I massaged the fire wall gently so it was not visible. Jim Ford

13. Bader2

Bader2

The only other problem I could see is the fact that you've now got a Chevy!

14. 55willys

55willys

Amen to that!!! Jim Ford

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it right with a Hurst style front mount and a small distributor and it should basically be a bolt in that can be removed without leaving much of a trace that it had ever been there.
    It may sound off the wall or comical to some and a sacrilege to others but I've been considering sticking the 8BA/T-5 combo I have set back for my Model A in one of the Chevy AD pickups I have so I can actually run, dial in and drive the Flathead while the very slow process of putting the Model A together moves to the point that I can put the engine in it.

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

That runs!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

small distributor helps in a 35 were the stock one wouldn't fit

18. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Hey mate ,,,you dont have a SBC in that beautiful 35 Tub do you ,,,?

19. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I do Rod I must confess please forgive me

RoddyB34 likes this.
  20. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

If your 283 is a real early one with the steel oil filter can that you put paper filters in, the can probably won't clear the wishbone. Way back when, there were two ways to deal with this.
    1. Get an adapter to replace the can so that screw-on type filters can be screwed on to the adapter (these plates may no longer be available). Most current sbc screw-on filters will be shorter that that old can and will clear the wishbone.
    or
    2. get a remote filter plate that bolts on in place of the can and connect a remote filter with flex lines. (these plates , too, may no longer be available)
    Just my $.02

21. Thanks Frank, I'll check that out had not considered the oil filter. Its a 63 block and was most concerned about the oil pan but I don't think that will be an issue.

22. primed34

primed34

You can still get the oil filter adapter. Speedway comes to mind as one source.

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i have the old cragar adapter,168 tooth flywheel redrilled for flathead clutch., 3 bolt stovebolt, starter, new clutch and pressure plate. and a bronze custom made pilot bushing that you need... I have a SBC in my 34 ford with a 39 trans behind it.. Im going with a T5 swap. so i will have everything to convert a 39 trans onto a SBC. let me know if your interested.

also mine went in without modifying the pedals or the wishbone.

24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like your plan.. Sounds like you know what you want and are making provisions for it.. I think putting the SBC in so you can enjoy your ride while waiting for the flathead is an excellent idea,,,,

25. studebaker46

studebaker46

you guys that cry foul on the sbc probably have never built anything let alone driven anything with close to stock flathead. I understand the early hotrod builds. having said all that in sept 1954 when the 1955 models were available the flathead became obsolete. sorry for the rant. tom

autoworx1 and RoddyB34 like this.