Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autozone battery warranty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordor41, Nov 30, 2011.

1. aojo

aojo

I'm with Hotrodlarry on this one.... I did an exchange on a battery and received a pro-rated credit for 1 1/2 years based on the original price which was applied toward the purchase of a new battery with a new "birth date".

2. Deuces

Deuces

So, ummm... When was the last time you guys bought a Sears Die Hard battery??? :rolleyes:

3. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I have good luck with the Duralast Btrys. Got one that's almost 11 yrs old.

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

They do something else i cant stand on oil and antifreeze,when you pull up to the store you see this great price on these products on big banners,but when you get out and up close you see why.With a mail in rebate,and you have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to get your money back....Why not just give the great price and thats that,but they know alot of people will pay the high price,and never mail in for the rebate.

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Me, "I need a freeze plug for the side of the block on my 83 XJ-6".
    Him, "Whats an XJ-6"?
    Me, "OK, how about a set of points for a 61 223 in a galaxie"?
    Him, "Points, whats that"? complete with glazed over look.
    Already had dice lock pins and valve caps so I just walked away slowly.
    I was kinda shocked when Jesse James shilled for them.
    Then again, I was kinda shocked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well you know.

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have a Duralast in my 56 Chevy for 12 years.I just replaced the one in my Silverado 2 weeks ago,it was 3 years old.Autozone gave may a $40.00 credit and a new 8 year warranty.3 year free replacement.

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

Your 1st sign of trouble was listening to 2 idiots behind the counter that didn't know the store policy. Its right in front of them on the computer. You should have asked for the manager and you didn't.If the thing lasted 6 years you should have taken the pro=rated $60 deal. Guarantee if you go to another Autozone store you'll get another version of there warranty. Sure was nice back when parts houses knew their stuff.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You had use of the battery for 5-years with a 6-year warranty. 5/6ths of $60 = $50 worth of usage - They should have knocked $10 (original cost $60 - $50 worth of usage) off the cost of a new battery for you (the unused year left on the warranty) and charged you $96 for the new onewith a 6 year warranty.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Years ago I had a problem with lifetime alternators dying in my Cougar. The parts store would hand me a new (rebuilt) one each time, but the third time the manager says "This is the last one I am giving you because something in your car is burning them out."

When he pulled it off of the shelf I had him put it on their test machine before I would accept it and after he ran the test on it he pushed it off to the side and went and got another one. That one tested bad too, and he had to go get a third one before it tested good ! As I took possession of my new alternator I said to him "What was that you were saying about my car burning them out? :p He didn't say a word. :D

Don

10. In September of 2000, I had to buy a new battery for my O/T 96 Explorer. I was at a Sam's Club parking lot and the guys at Auto Zone, clear on the other side of the shopping center, came over, jump-started the car and we drove over to the parts store and they pulled the old battery and installed the new one, a Duralast Gold.

Fast forward to a month ago. The Explorer has 328,000 miles on it now, 8,000 miles into a tranny rebuild and an engine that doesn't burn a drop of oil. BUT, the battery finally crapped out. I'm driving the Explorer with my tractor battery in it right now, but Santa is bringing me a new Duralast Gold battery for Christmas, and I'll pick it up at the same place that I got the last one. 11 years and two months for a battery is all the warranty I need.

11. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

you cant go in and say you lost the receipt and just get another battery for free. it all goes by your phone number in their system. its on record about your warranties. you cant even get the warranty without a phone number.

12. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Exactly, any time battery is prorated and u have to pay ANY amount for it, the warranty starts over new from that day foward.

Now let me tell u this, we no longer prorate batteries as of Febuary of this year. Anything purchased before febuary would have been grandfatherd in and would have the full 6,7,or 8yr warrenty with the prorated system(aka your battery) Now the valuecrafts have Only 1yr Duralast has Only 2yrs and Duralast Gold has ONLY 3... With that being said, did u have a Valuecraft battery? If you did, thats why the lady said u had 1yr warrenty on your NEWLY purchased battery. She did not explane herself properly,if that was the case, if you did NOT take the valuecraft she was wrong... Any questions feel free to ask

13. Deuces

Deuces

Your original one only lasted 4 years???

14. Cruiser

Cruiser

I buy my batteries at Costco or Sears with no problems with either company. I put all my cars on a Battery Tender every night which keeps ready to go at all times.

CRUISER :cool:

15. You know, when I need a battery I go to the you-pick and look over the ones on the shelf for a clean one with a relatively recent date code. And if it does die after the 30 day warranty, so what, I paid a tiny fraction of the cost of a new one.

16. mustangdug

mustangdug

You only rent batteries to begine with! They all fail sooner or later. As said before a 6yr batt that lasts 5 yrs gives you 1 yr credit on your new battrery with a new warranty. It's always been that way in the past. done a few times myself.
    I will say my Motorcrafts have been the best! I still have the original batts in my 2002 Diesel truck. The dealer said they were going bad last time I had it in for warranty work(brakes) that was 5 yrs ago, a little upsell I think... I hate dealers

17. Deuces

Deuces

Anything to make a buck...

18. fordor41

fordor41

From my original post_ I had a Duralast Gold returning and bought a Duralast Gold replacement.

19. rickkane

rickkane

The Autozone here in Melbourne used to be asses on warranty stuff, especially rotors. I went thru 3 sets on my DD and the manager told me on the last one that was it. He didnt spend much time with me because he was too busy chatting up his salesclerk, who was a fairly voluptous young thing with 2 inch nails, which she spent an inordinate amount of time inspecting. When these rotors started getting a wobble in them after about a week I tried to return them but he said no dice. I called Autozone corporate and bitched, making certain to include his infatuation with Conchita. Lo and behold I got a call about a week later from the new manager. He informed me the old manager was gone along with his girlfreind. He took care of my rotor problem and has been a real stand up guy since. He also hires a lot of old timers with some knowledge. I drove my shoebox in one day to get rear seals and the clerk asked if it had an 8 inch in it. I said yes, he said probably a Maverick, I got my seals with no problem. Some of them are OK.

20. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

I work at an oreilly's and I've often been extremely disappointed with the parts we sell. All of the house brand stuff is made in China and some of the name brand as well. I refuse to put any of that chink shit on my cars because it's crap. I always try to go the extra mile with customers and get them what they need but if they decide to go with the cheaper Chinese part; there isn't much I can do about that.

21. Hemiroid

Hemiroid

My AutoZone battery lasted 3 years and then failed…

They warranteed it [free replacement] and off I go…

The replacement battery failed after 3 years…

My warranty was based off the original purchase date of the first battery!!!

That is how AutoZone works here. Maybe different stores have different policies. Maybe there is a better place to get a battery than AutoZone…

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  22. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

Johnson Controls makes the batteries for AZ along with about 75% of all the other car battery brands out there. Hell, even Optimas are made by them down in Mexico

23. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Then she was wrong. It should have been a 3yr warranty. Get the number off the enterance and call the Dm(district manager) he will get it straight, trust me...