Register now to get rid of these ads!

Autopulse Fuel Pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmuts, Apr 11, 2013.

1. carmuts

carmuts

I dug out my Autopulse fuel pump to look it over some and possibly try to find Ethenol safe bellows and other parts for it. I did a search on the HAMB and the only place mentioned as possibly having the parts in an older post has discontinued making parts for them http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/bel_pump.html . Anyone have any other ideas on where I might be able to get parts. Thanks Rod

Attached Files:

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Best electric fuel pump ever made...imho. I have 4 of those ( 3 Model 500s and 1 Model 300) and have rebuilt them all, one of which is on my T roadster. I have not had any issues with mine yet ( been on since last July) and haven't seen any corrosion at all...though I do need to checj it again.

Gasket kits are available, but I have not found a source for new bellows. The early 300 and two of my 500s have copper bellows, but my newest 500 has rubber bellows....and you can imagine what that looks like, so I have been looking myself.

We don't have really high Ethanol fuel up here (5 or 10%) so it doesn't seem to cause much issues here. What % do you get at the pumps?

What model is your Autopulse?

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

3. carmuts

carmuts

10% here, also have some without, but I wonder for how much longer. Thought this would be a good vintage piece for something I am working on although I am not sure which one to use it on. Not really nice enough looking to be under the hood of the delivery without alot of polishing. Might not be needed for awhile on the AV8 coupe as adding a 2 carb setup likely will come later so I can get by with a mechanical pump for awhile. Rod

4. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

How do you know what model they are? I have three that appear to have a factory type of manifold on both the suction & discharge sides. Any idea what they would be worth?

5. carmuts

carmuts

I did a search on e-bay last night and they are worth anywhere from $30-$400 depending on condition, model and voltage, so I really can't tell you much more. The Model number on mine is part of the aluminum casting. Rod

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

The model number is usually cast on the center valve body, below the domed filter cover. Should have manufacturer's name and "Model 500 or 550" cast there as well. If it doesn't have a model number...it is most likely a older 300.

Sent from Mr. ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

We have mostly 10% and I have never had an issue here. Mine is under the hood and they look great polished or not. The Autopulse was the hot setup in the old days....all the old hot rod guys in the 40's and 50's used them because of their reliability and because they were built like aircraft components.

Sent from Mr.ModelT's DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. MrModelT

MrModelT

Here are some comparisons between the early Model 300s and the 500s:

Valve Body casting text:

Model 300

[​IMG]

Model 500

[​IMG]
    Inlet/Outlet Port bosses:

Model 300

[​IMG]

Model 500

[​IMG]

Points "vibrator" hinge and contact assembly:

Model 300

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model 500

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuel Filter Screen Canister:

Model 500 (L) Model 300 (R)

[​IMG]

Coil and Pump chassis cover:

Model 300 (L) Model 500 (R)

[​IMG]

An Over all break down of the Autopulse (Model 500 shown)

[​IMG]

Now there may be some exceptions to to these, but this is what I have observed and studied.

Beanscoot likes this.
  9. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I owned a 1967 Piper Cherokee PA-180C private plane several years ago.
    I was surprised to find an Autopulse electric back up fuel pump on it that it
    was factory equipped with. It was identical to the one on my high school hot rod
    that I built in the early 60's.
    I would bet parts could be found through aircraft parts suppliers.
    Be prepared to pay premium prices though. Everything aircraft must have FAA
    certification to be installed on planes.
    Try a Piper Aircraft repair facility for parts.

10. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

11. Va 33

Va 33
    from Minnesota

Exotic classics.. Has rebuild kits

12. I know this thread is 10 years old, but it has some good information in it already and I'll bump it to ask a few more questions.

Do these pumps need an external regulator? If so, what is a good option for a period regulator?

Also, the overwhelming majority of the ones for sale appear to be 6v units. Does anyone ever use a voltage reducer or resistor setup to run these on 12v systems, or am I better off playing the waiting game for a 12v unit and expect to spend the big bucks?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  13. These pumps self regulate. They will actually turn off when the correct psi is reached. Thus "auto pulse"

I think you can set them for 1 or 2 psi...it's been awhile since I checked my notes on them.

Tumblin' Dice likes this.
  14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I still have the one dad had put in my avatar, 6volt. it’s a souvenir now IMG_4154.jpeg IMG_4155.jpeg

15. karl share

karl share

The early Porsche Guys use Autopulse pumps, as the porsche spyders had two pumps joined together, I have a couple of the manifolds and banjo bolts used for this.

16. Oh boy, I did find that out when I saw $300 price tags next to most of them on the electronic bay....

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nice to see this brought back up as s I have one of these. Don't know what to do with it since I don't have a project in the foreseeable future that would require one but they are cool.