Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Speed Shop - RoadFarmer 1955 Chevy Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kail, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

1st Series: 1947-1954, early 1955
    2nd Series: Late 1955 through 1959

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Great thread. Thanks for the details.

3. Hope you got your chrome plated needle & seat adjusting hammer.

4. I've been thinking of switching to Rochesters, but we'll see. Have a lot of time to figure that out

5. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

I remember the thread when RoadFarmer went to pick this bad boy up.

Great start and I have a feeling this is gonna be good. Can't wait to see it come together.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  6. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Looks like you've done this before. I'll be looking back at this thread when I do mine. I'm just not sure what's easier, I see some guys install the spring shackles at the front and some at the rear of the spring. Does it make any difference if the shackles go front or rear?

7. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

You have six 90 degree eelco fittings? Impressive I have two. Good luck looks like a cool build. Ill be watching this one

8. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Basically you can mount the shackles on either end. Some stock trucks came with them on front some on rear. Jeep for instance came with them on the front.. in the 4x4 world there are arguments about this but it mainly stems from how the suspension is effected going over rocks, and how the shackles can get hung up on obstacles.

From our aspect it doesn't seem as crucial. The one key point is you usually would put the fixed side of the spring on the same side of the axle as the steering box, but in the case of cross steer I can't see that effecting bump steer like it could a side steer setup..

So the main reason I put them on the front? well the rear of this spring lands on the up sweep of the frame if I put the shackle on the rear it would put the rear of the spring lower and the front of the spring higher which would have made it harder for me to achieve the proper caster angle. Now I could have made longer fixed mounts but we didn't want the skyscraper gasser look with this one.

You can google shackle placement and you will probably find a lot of internet arguments on 4x4 forums. I say look how it effects everything on your project and use your best judgement. :D

1939STREETROD likes this.
  9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool project and very nice work. Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Malcolm

10. I'm not a big Chevy guy but I have to admit I have always liked 55 Chevy's,,especially with the axles up front.:)

I've subscribed. HRP

11. Jamoke

Jamoke

Really another 55 Gasser ??? Like this hasn't been done before ??? I would think coming out of the Austin Speed Shop there would of been some other options. I know its a customer related request but this whole gasser thing is really getting old . Its just my opinion (yes opinions are like ass ## ## well you know the rest of that phrase) castrate me if you like but when I seen the beginning of the thread "Austin Speed Shop project" this is a let down same old stuff .. Nice craftsmanship on the front clip though ...

12. Nice! Subscribed

13. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Sorry man, when a friend / customer has a car he wants to build I am not going to tell him no because it's been done before. This is his dream, I am here to help facilitate that. That aside I think its going to be a great car and I am excited about it.

There are always going to be those mainstays, 32 roadsters, model a coupes, chopped shoebox fords and 55 chevy racecars.

I tell you what I will make a thread soon that will have some not as common stuff here at the shop, like a Carson Top Zephyr. But in this thread I am going to share Stevens awesome Less Heavy Chevy.

badgascoupe likes this.
  14. SRMN8R

SRMN8R
    from Central VA
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yes.

15. Jamoke

Jamoke

If you read my quotes Im not saying to turn down work , Im not slaming your build quality , Im just saying Not another 55 gasser build . Good luck with your build ..

16. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Amen.

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It does kinda matter which side the shackles go on. It didn't matter on the truck with it's original push/pull type steering, but when used in a car the shackles should try to be on the opposite side of the axle that it's steered on. So if the plan is to steer off the back side, then the shackles should go in front.
    The reason for shackle-steering being on opposite sides is so the steering isn't pushing or pulling against the shackles in a cross steer situation, which can create a slightly mushy feel as the shackles flex. Might not be an issue if the shackles are very short like those on this build, but if they're taller I've seen it have a huge effect. Jeep had a recall due to this very problem and ended up swapping shackle locations in the recall to fix the mushy steering feel.
    There's another good reason to use '55-'59 axles vs. the '49-'54. The earlier axles don't have straight parallel springs. Their springs taper in at the front, so with straight rails one set will usually not sit under the frame rails regardless.

18. If its getting so old, why are you reading/slamming the thread in the first place? Just role by it and go look/read about what you like, or go get your own '55 and do it the way you want.
    PS. The Thread title is "Austin Speed Shop-RoadFarmer 1955 Chevy GASSER Build"! If you don't like the road, stay off of it!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    badgascoupe and nelson845 like this.
  19. I usually don't weigh in on a thread unless I am on topic, meaning the thread topic, but I have to agree with you on this. Well said and well thought out.

20. They are cool and nostalgic, but they're gonna turn that pretty polished log ram into a gas
    stained mess. My buddy Gil Muro @ Hot Rod Ranch has that setup on his '34 5 window. He has gotten it to work pretty decsent with alot of help from Augie Delgado @ Exotic Inductions, but it is a tempermental! They will barely stand 2psi of fuel pressure, and they'll ooze fuel just sitting there.

21. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I guess he didn't have constructive to add, so he thought he would high jack the thread with his two bit opinion. I hope what started out as a great build thread stays that way.

Enough said about that, back to the regularly scheduled programming

22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Yeah!You guys cut that shit out right now!Ya hear me!
    No more '55's!
    Or deuces or A's for that matter!!!
    That stuff has all been done!Nobody wants to see that old shit...!
    Lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you for fucking real pal...????
    You do realize that the ENTIRE focus of the HAMB is TRADITIONAL hot rods and customs,right.....????

Scott

23. powrshftr

powrshftr

And a '55 is just about the most traditional thing I can think of....

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Subscribed :)
    bring it on we are excited

25. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Thanks for your feed back on spring/shackle location you guys. I will be installing my shackles up front too. It will look better with the steering linkage behind the axle. Never get tired of lookin at 55 gasser

26. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

Ok guys everyone is entitled an opinion, I don't want to take away from Stevens car in this thread so if we can just stay on topic thanks:D

I hope to get some more pics posted tonight.. I will post a teaser from my phone in a bit

27. Here's a couple pics to flush out that last bit of negativety IMG_20131010_210615.jpg

yee haa 2.jpg

yee haa 1.jpg

yee haa.jpg

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Those are some angry looking 55's!

badgascoupe likes this.
  29. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I love wheelies.

badgascoupe likes this.
  30. It's ok....I've wanted to build it for about 13 years....the funds are just now starting to make it possible.

I've already asked Kail to save me the pieces he cuts out of the quarters...I'm gonna mount them to the wall on my shop like a trophy :D

Thanks for the positive comments guys!