Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Icon-- The UTE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Can someone down below advise as to where the UTE fit into the market in OZ & Kiwiville? It would seem that even with wages low by today's standard, that the amount of hand fab work necessary to produce a Ute body, would make them very expensive to produce, and yet a good number were built. Was the price of a standard pick up on a 1/2 ton chassis, in the same price range?
    Up here in North America, Ute type vehicles were produced from the twenties to 1987-8? with a few niche entries since, all of which were loss leaders cost wise, but none of these were produced in anything like the numbers of 1/2 ton pick ups of the same payload.

Thanx,
    Swankey Devils C.C.
    " It's time for another Tea Party ! "

3. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

utes are cheap, the holden and ford is based on the commodore and falcon sedans but cost nearly $10000 less, the utes are available in high performance models like the sedans too, there is a holden ss and ford xr8, this means if you dont need a back seat and want a performance model you can get it much cheaper as a ute.
    second hand its a different story, eg a 1991 holden sedan might be worth $900 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-Commo...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318
    and a 1991 ute might be worth $5000
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COMMODORE-VG...3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

4. In Australia we mainly had utes instead of pickups.

5. Pimpin is talking about 30's models. Sorry, don't have the $ answer though. It must be said that cars of any kind were never cheap in this country. That was in part due to the relatively small size of the market, part government.

A LOT of model A phaetons had the back cut off to make pickups.

6. What are these cars going for nowadays?

Say a Ford one I guess your 1958. Not running, not rotted to hell?
    And then add shipping..

I have lots to trade. This is a nice original..see pic
    If people were buying stuff here, I'd have the cash. Things are pretty soft right now.

Attached Files:

7. kevron

kevron

i thaught utes was short for uterus because chics realy like them

8. kevron

kevron

:confused:i i thought utes was short for uterus because chics realy like them:eek:

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

anybody out there got some 1949 chevrolet ute stuff?? sales brochures.. anything for 49 from over there.

10. Pretty funny Kevron. Not.

11. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

The manufacturers found they could produce a ute cheaper because the panels on the back were very basic and the woodwork ( and they WERE full of wood before the whiteants got to them ) could be made quickly. Not so much detail like a sedan or tourer . The really cheap ones were the roadster utes. Not coupe roof to make. One of the oddest utes I have ever seen was a 39 Plymouth Roadster ute. The windsheild posts look like belonged on a 1920's car. talk about cost cuttin!.
    Then there was the fact they were actually subsidised by the government by way of big tax breaks to primary producers. if you were on the land you got your price reduced because sales tax was minimal to zero.
    A look at any old newspaper of the 30' and 40's often have adverts for local firms who could make the old family Ford,Essex or whatever ( Uted Rolls Royces were not unknown!) into a ute for around 10 pounds. I guess that may be a grand in todays money.

12. kevron

kevron

:mad:sorry to of offended you x38 but i have seen it on the back windows of some utes kev:eek:

13. kevron

kevron

:rolleyes:hy dirtynails i would have thought that they would have been cheaper to build ie no rear doors just two rear flanks i have just spent three weeks doing a pair of 34 coupe doors at 35 an hour thats a lot of loaves of bread kev

14. I drive a left hand drive here in australia. No probs, you can usually see thru the windows of the car in front if the road is clear to overtake, just don't sit on the arse of a truck and you can usually see around it.

15. 37coupeute

37coupeute

16. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Thats what i was saying,the two sides,a tail gate and a floor with a basic frame to hold it ball together. No rear seat, no top,no doors,no tub section , quite a saving .
    Holden had big presses so there wasn't that much hand work in the construction of the body work and most were built in the depths of the depression so labour was dirt cheap. :).

17. ehdubya

ehdubya

Pimpin the Australian goverment fostered the local industry with tariffs and local content quotas from very early on. The prewar construction is very simple traditional coachbuilt, look at the crude rears on them all.
    Until Ford's recent models a ute was defined by an unbroken 1/4 panel with no seperation of the bed like a sweptline but it didn't have to be car based. Eddie Ford's Restored Cars magazine #s 91-96 (now Restored Cars Australia) ran a great series on utes from the 20s on and has always featured some weird and wonderful examples.
    I wanted one and looked at all sorts of things and had settled on a single spinner and then I saw these pics...

Attached Files:

18. ehdubya

ehdubya

It could be argued that's a roadster pickup, the most unusual I've seen pictured in Restored Cars are a 41 Desoto and a 39 Federal.

Attached Files:

19. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Love this car. Have always wanted a ute.

Attached Files:

• ute.jpg
      ute.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  20. ehdubya

ehdubya

a few more that haven't been covered...

Attached Files:

21. *nick*

*nick*

nice stance/body work, not keen on that black though.
    i'm liking these XK XL XM & XP's more and more, just wish i could afford one.

22. ehdubya

ehdubya

A Willys for Weasel etc

Attached Files:

23. ehdubya

ehdubya

more

Attached Files:

24. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

EHdubya ,the Guards vans have always held an appeal especially the frog faced ones. The old wheezy engine note was always worth a laugh.
    That 39 roadster was different to one I saw which had the full body sides. it wasn't only TJR which built the dodge and Plymouth bodies,there were quite a few small body builders who would equip cars with what ever the customer ordered.
    It does have the 1920's style windscreen posts though and that phone number is from the 1980's.
    [​IMG]

i take back what i said about the Odditie of the plymouths looks,that mayflower is hillarious!

25. ehdubya

ehdubya

and more

Attached Files:

26. kevron

kevron

sorry about thatdirtynails i should read the posts not just look at the pics

27. ehdubya

ehdubya

Dirtynails yeah I know anybody bodied anything there. I don't think that one is Richards as a friend had the remains of one and there was no sign of any Richards badges. It had the stub of the A pillar behind the screen which I don't see on that one.

Attached Files:

28. ehdubya

ehdubya

The spinner is on eBay for AU $25k :eek:

Attached Files:

29. George

George

The '57 Ranchero is considered to be the first Ute to be made up here.

30. Abomination

Abomination

Did the phone company use 'em?

~Jason