Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 RPU, Made the Aussie way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Aug 18, 2014.

1. The diff I planed to use turned out to be a later Salisbury type cut down to Model A length and brackets,,,back to plan A,,,,
    Im picking up a late 60s F100 complete diff locally for its centre to use in my Mustang, it's housing flange to flange is 61" so a bit wide but will do under a RPU.
    For me it has to be a original banjo or a 9" hanging under the rear, a 9" under a early banger A is massive overkill but they do look good :)
    Like to use a 8" but in Australia they are not common and worth as much as a 9"

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Might be now selling my 16" x 4 1/2 Ford Mainline rims, just been blasted too,,, Might be back to using early F100 rims and keeping 5 on 5 1/2

3. OFT

OFT

Bummer on the rear end issues.
    Overall your doing a nice setup with what you have. I'll be following this with interest.
    Earl

4. Hi Earl
    I guess I don't see it that way, I let the parts I find dictate the build.
    Trying as much as I can to use the parts I find in my travels and not "pay through the nose" for "must have" parts.
    As long as I see progress it keeps my motivation going.
    A 9" diff with a neat add on oil filler on the pumpkin looks good in my eyes hanging under a A

5. ken1939

ken1939

Looking forward to more, this looks like a classic build!

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looking great Rich, glad to see some progress!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

7. I really like budget builds and like your approach, its how it was for most back in the day. as for progress, any is good. JW:D

8. Lookin good mate! I started off pretty similar to you myself..

I started off with a good cowl, and a surface rusty chassis..

[​IMG]

And after like 5 years..

[​IMG]

Just keep at it and it'll be awesome one day!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Thanks for the positive comments, now have the chassis painted, used Aldi metal paint I picked up a few months ago, used 1/2 a tin of silver I had no further use of and mixed in some black paint.
    Came up a gun metal grey,,, just wanted the freshly blasted chassis covered in paint.
    No set idea on final colour.

The centre x member was removed for some reason so that was bolted in with M8 cap head bolts and the front x member was bolted in with big M10 cap head bolts, the holes for that size was already drilled so to save welding up I just used that size ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419759847.074525.jpg

10. Looks nice how it is !JW:cool:

11. Finally got around to picking up my freshly machined engine ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421306472.178124.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421306502.519043.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421306528.023741.jpg

12. chopped f1

chopped f1
    from Australia

Looking good rich, you have been busy
    Adam here who bought the f1 cab

Richie R likes this.
  13. I never stop, I'm a machine LOL
    Having young kids gives me more incentive to hide in the shed,,, looking forward to some assistance out there but the oldest, my 4 yo girl has no interest at all in helping.
    Will see if my 10 month old will help in a few years :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. My engine block now painted ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421308526.468700.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421308550.813475.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. My cam, not a huge lift cam but has long duration, should sound nice ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421308677.597212.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421308713.349002.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421308740.661820.jpg
    Very different cam timing compared to a overhead engine

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  16. How is my old F1 cab going, want to see channeled hard over a chassis, actually using that Chev chassis you picked up for it?

17. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Looking good Rich what did you finish up boring it out too

18. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Rich interesting cam specs without check my notes looks real close to the German G28T cam which I have used and liked it a lot

19. chopped f1

chopped f1
    from Australia

Cab still waiting while i collect parts
    Got a 39 desoto chassis pretty much the same as a ford in shape nice sweep in the back will probably use that

20. Hi Colin
    It's right out at .125 over, has the Edge Pistons, Chev piston ring style, crank is .40 main and .30 for the rods, still need to order the rods and matching bearings. All needed now is intake, head, lifters, gasket set, pulley I think?
    Getting there slowly.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Desoto,,did not know we had them in Australia, thought we had just Dodge, Fargo and Chryslers. Was it a local car or imported recently.

22. My 904 Auto adaptor kit ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421385142.185298.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421385178.189792.jpg
    I was worried for a bit, the converter spigot was too small for the crank adaptor.
    I found there are 2 different size spigots on Mopars, the transmission I worked out was from a 1966, the first year after the Push Button auto was fazed out.
    Fortunately there are adaptor rings available to simply fix this issue.

23. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Looks great, Egge machining?

Glad for the progress!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

24. Yes Egge did all the machining, had the other parts hottanked locally.
    Going through these hottanked parts fixing them up for refit, sump, oil pump, oil pump drive gear, bolts and more.
    Need to place one last big order in for the remaining new parts to get it all together, lacking money for a few weeks.
    Fixed up a big dint in the sump, unfortunately I now have cracked the solder joint where the oil pump dropout is (28 style sump)
    Will get that fixed by a radiator shop, don't trust my soldering.

25. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Rich do not solder your sump the oil pump pushes pretty hard with vibrations from the engine it will not hold up long braze it or at a min silver solder it
    28 sumps as you know are galvanised so you need to clean down to the steel in your prep

26. Hi Colin, Taken it to the local radiator shop at lunchtime today, he wants to completely remove the dropout due to it being cracked a few inches along. Hopefully he knows what he is doing

27. jack peterson

jack peterson

interested in at least 1 flat head. based in melborne,
    would love to hear from you on 0450 133 002
    or [email protected]

28. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

nice build, enjoyed reading and pictures.......

29. Sorry all the sidevalve V8 stuff sold or given away. If you can give me a list of parts you require I might be able to find through a few contacts.