Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AUCTION ROADSTER/How to put 32 firewall in 30/31

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

We are making progress welding up the firewall. On this one, we decided to leave the stainless cowl band.

r1116bb.jpg

2. Mo rust

Mo rust

Over the years, this old body has been hot rodded a couple of times. The square holes are where we cut the neck holes out for the twin prop feathering tanks from a WWII P35 fighter out that were used for twin gas tanks put in during the 1955 build and the round hole is from a build previous to 1955 that had been filled. r1116aa.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Good save!
    I wish that I had put the 32 firewall and cowl vent in my 31 when I put it together years ago. Like others,my thinking was clouded. "It will never fit", they said.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

4. Mo rust

Mo rust

Now we are building rear substructure to locate floors over the 6 inch frame kick up in rear. We plan to retain the rumble seat as well which is proving to be a challenge. A gas tank will have to take up some of it on one side. rumblefloor.jpg

5. Mo rust

Mo rust

Now we've pulled the body off to finish welding up the frame. We C'd the rear another two inches for clearance in case the six inch additional step over the stock 32 frames normal kick up isn't enough. This should give us a decent ride and the frame will be 5 1/2 inches off the ground with about 4 1/2 inches of pan clearance for the flathead.

frame1.jpg frame2.jpg

6. I sure like the direction this is going.....Cool beans guys

7. Mo rust

Mo rust

This weekend we got the body sitting back on the frame and set the flathead in place. It's all sitting at ride height. We cut one piece of sheet metal for the floor and managed to bend it to include a driveshaft tunnel that is 2 inches tall on one end and 5 inches on the other. bld1.JPG bld2.jpg

8. Bet this is going to set nice....

9. chickenshift

chickenshift

Are you the fella located beside Gillshiemers? I was going to go bid on this roadster...backed out figuring there would be a ton of interest in it. Looks to be in great hands though!

steve hackel likes this.
  10. Mo rust

Mo rust

That would be me. Stop in and check it out the next time you are in the area.

chickenshift likes this.
  11. Mo rust

Mo rust

At the auction in October that I bought this roadster, I also bought a 32 "heavy" front axle that I then sent off to Okie Joe at Joe's Speed Shop to have a 5 inch drop put to it. It's back now and we can finish locating the mounts for everything. Since we are setting this car so low and using a set of old 34 Ford chromed split wishbones, it would need to have us mount the rear of them to the top of the frame. We're going to cut the bottom lug and pull it back to change the castor so we can mount the rear of the wishbone to the bottom of the frame. Hopefully it won't show where we cut and welded too bad. If we mount it there without changing the bones, we'll have 15 + degrees of caster. f1.jpg f2.jpg

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  12. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very nice work, look forward to the updates.

13. Mo rust

Mo rust

Here's the easiest way I'e found to clean up the bottom of a roadster body. roadstervert2a.jpg roadstervert1a.jpg

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  14. Mo rust

Mo rust

We are finally showing some progress on our roadster build. blackroadster.JPG

15. Mo rust

Mo rust

six months after we started on this roadster project, we have it ready for paint. We loaded it up to put in my cousins paint booth next door so he can spray it this week. blueroadster1.JPG blueroadster2.JPG

Nailhead A-V8 and cptn60 like this.
  16. brady1929

brady1929

Nice. What color are you thinking about?

17. Mo rust

Mo rust

Shiny black single stage enamel

18. Mo rust

Mo rust

19. Mo rust

Mo rust

The old rusty pitted 32 firewall came out nice.

rpaint1.JPG rpaint2.JPG

20. chriseakin

chriseakin

Could you post a photo of the old pipe-tubing frame? I'd be curious to see how they designed it.

49ratfink and cactus1 like this.
  21. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Good job ! also like your barn.

22. I love that trailer!

23. Mo rust

Mo rust

My father built that trailer in the early 70's at a cost of around $30. It's dragged home a lot of projects over the years and several broken down cars too.

61Lancerwagon and cactus1 like this.
  24. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME - Love the Black w. Gold Wires!....(Gold or Beige?)

25. Mo rust

Mo rust

Actually the wheels are tan. I was going for the look of the Cordoba Tan found on lots of 34 and 35 Fords

26. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow night. It's a prime example of how some things were done in the old days that are best forgotten.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very nice job, won't be long now

28. Mo rust

Mo rust

It has a 1957 chevy 283 220 hp with 62 - 64 powerpack heads and a cast iron powerglide. Rearend is 57 chevy also. The speedometer also was used and shows 89,000 miles and I suspect it might be correct. The owner was in an accident and lost his hands and feet in 1966 and it was locked in a shed until I bought it last summer so so it would be a good engine for a 57 restoration. I'll probably rob the 40 ford front axle and brakes, the rear end and the motor and get a set of 32 rails and build a frame for my next project.

a.jpg c.jpg

Nailhead A-V8 and patmanta like this.
  29. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma