Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attn, guys in kc, mo area lost 1932 body off trailor!!! Help finding it!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodglass, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So glad this looks like being sorted, I know its human nature to suspect people like the "friend" in this case, but quite often they are normally innocent, even if they arent so smart :)

2. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

no damage my ass! that thing was stolen! It has to weigh quite a bit and coming off on the freeway would have at least smashed part of it. Either way good to hear your getting it back. Once you get your hands on it you should probe around and see if you cant find out what really happend..

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

glad you got it back,,,but someone is full of shit here,,,,
    a fiberglass body does not fall off a moving trailer on a highway and not sustain any damage.....

4. 383 240z

383 240z

Well the good news is he's getting it back, if it does end up having little or no damage it does have one hell of a story to tell when he is out with the car! Keith

5. lost39

lost39
    from Austria

I think the same!!!!! Is the buddy a rodbuilder too?? Talk with his wife or childs!! Maybe they know where the body fell of?????

6. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

If you think things can't fall off a trailer and not sustain major damage, you are wrong. That body likely fell/slid off the back and coasted to a stop. Was it mounted on wood for shipping? No damage. If not on a skid, then it is possible to sustain sliding damge only. Life isnt' like the movies, where everything is a spectacular flaming disaster.

How do I know? One time years ago I messed with antique furniture a lot. I had what was possibly an ornate chair from Hawaii, the royal palace no less. Oddly, much of the furniture sold off many years ago wound up in Kansas.:confused: I was transporting it in the back of my Chevy p.u., carefully laid down on its back. next to the cab. The wind caught it and started it rolling until it hit the tailgate, launching it into the air at 65 mph!!!!:eek:
    I did see it go...what a sick feeling....I slapped the brakes on hard, backed up to pick up the splinters, and I found it nearly untouched on the side of the road. It had slid on the road, not bouncing to destrutction, and had some minor flat spots on a few spots. I was able to touch up the original finish, and it was 98% invisible after that. So I figure if an oak chair can fall from a higher distance and more or less land safely, it is a piece of cake for a body to do that. Fiberglass is pretty resiliant stuff, more so than a chair. I think people in general love a conspiracy theory and want to find culprits. I think the only culprit here is careless loading and towing practices. By the way, who loaded it? Did that previous owner load it and tie it down? See what I mean? It is easy to overanalyze these things. The point is, he got it back! I was pretty sure that local Craig's listing would get someone to rat the bum out. Can you imagine the smiles when it was found? Good Stuff!

7. "Friends" seem to take better care of their own stuff than they do yours.

They didn't pay for it and if it's damaged when you get it back it's either your fault or - if a tool - the tool is at fault, but never their fault.

8. greenmachine53

greenmachine53
    BANNED

The guy just made an extra $100 for hauling thanks to your reward.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

im thinkin your friend of a friend, sold it, then got spooked and now hes makin a deal with the theif who bought it, so his ass dont go to jail...
    hope im wrong, but as long as you get your car back....who really cares right???

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree the whole situation smells of a RAT. He sold it or had it stolen at a gas stop.

I could see him losing the load and not knowing; If he's stupid enough to place it on the trailer w/o any sort of tie downs to begin with...and crankin the tunes etc.

I find it very hard to believe that at freeway speed, that body launched and didn't sustain any damage. I suspect it would have caught some wind and tumbled. Even if it slid off the back of the trailer, a f.glass body merely sliding down the freeway to a stop would have groung the body away like a SOB (envision a C-130 skidding a pallet down the runway). It'd be a miracle for it to slide off the trailer, onto the shoulder out of traffic lanes , and sustain zero damage.

Then again...what's his definition of "NO DAMAGE"??? We've all gone to look at cars that were "in great shape/ paint ready" on the phone that you could see through upon inspection.

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I know Murphy's Law would dictate that if it fell/blew off of my truck or trailer that it would be in one piece, but so torn and tattered that it wouldn't be worth saving for any reason at all. Neither my homeowners or auto insurance would cover the claim, and some idiot would be suing me for suffering from post traumatic stress disorder for having the shit scared out of them when the body came flying back at them.

Seriously though, I'm in agreement with those above. If the body has no damage on it at all, I would most definitely get the police involved in investigating this entire ordeal. While it is great to get it back, someone did steal it from you, and depending on the value, the theft would equate a felony.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Not choosing sides here, but here's a story about no damage.
    A friend's car goes through the quarter in 11 seconds. In the shutoff, the car bounces, and the battery falls out the back (still going 100 plus). We are following in the tow vehicle, and see it go. Stop and grab the battery to clear the track, and it's fine! Used it the rest of the day (with a better strap). Another time, I was bringing back a fully charged battery on my bicycle (only other transportation), get 20 feet from the car, and loose balance. The battery falls 3.5 feet and cracks. Stuff happens....

13. 21stud

21stud
    from California

I can't believe anyone would try and transport something like this with out tying it down?

14. Glad you goy your body back.I dont haul stuff for others and dont buy anything that i cant haul. It just seems odd that your buddy would find it and go get it back and not want to have you involved. Find where you can have him take a lie detector I bet you could get one cheaply. I would alse bet that he would refuse to take it Or make lame excuses.:eek: OldWolf

15. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

quite a story. (this thread)

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

17. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Crazy story...still don't believe it "flew off the trailer". But then again we lost all the truses for our building going about 80 down Highway 75 here in Omaha, they were all bundeled up, the wind pushed them from under the straps and onto the highway...amazing thing is none of them were messed up...but we did notice they were gone.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

19. Dirty2

Dirty2

Well , has he got it back yet ? Pictures ?

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

up//////what happened????

21. Dirty2

Dirty2

We need a update !

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Looks like outside observers have written several detective novels in this post...real story will be eagerly awaited.

23. Abomination

Abomination

It was raining in the City... a hard rain. Hard enough to wash the scum right off the streets and back in the gutter where it belonged. I was sitting in my office when she walked in. A classy dame, with a head for business, a body made for sinnin', and dams that would make Father Flannagin forget Boy's Town.

"Bruce... you've got to help me, " she pleaded. "My "friend" lost my roadster body - he lost it right off the trailer, Bruce! You've got to find it!" She grabbed my wide lapels and softly sobbed onto my shoulder, "You've just got to." Then, as she looked up and moved her soft, brown hair to reveal pretty blue eyes that would make Alaska melt she said, "Please... I'll do anything."

She clung onto that last word tightly, as tight as her dress, which clung to her like a long, lost relative. It bored itself into my brain as I straightened my tie and stepped out into the street a few hours later. Bruce old boy, I thought to myself, you may just be in for more than you bargained for this time...

And yes, I wrote that just for you, Bruce. :D

~Jason

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  24. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Coffee spurts raggedly into the air as I lie on the office floor choking and twitching... hey, I type better with my toes!

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

ohh shit jason....diet 7up on monitor for me........bwhahahaha.......
    however, keep goin....:)

26. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

According to Guy Noir, private detective, whose office is on the 12th floor of the Acme Building in a city that knows how to keep its secrets, "She was tall and long-legged and her blonde hair hung down sort of like what Beethoven had in mind when he wrote the Moonlight sonata. She wore a knit sweater and jeans so tight it looked as if she'd been poured into them and forgot to say When. When she moved, she seemed to undulate under her clothes in ways that took a man's mind off the state of the economy." (With apologies to Garrison Keillor and Guy's Shoe Band.)

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It was a humid morning in Michigan, the kind that makes your shirt cling to your shoulders and the smell of perspiration and primer fumes mixed with my coffee as I sat down at the keyboard to check out the latest HAMB messages before I headed into the city, my city, where I was to have a rendesvous with fat guy behind the paint counter at the cheap paint supply store where I get my habit fixed. My eye caught the lost roadster body thread, and I tapped in quick search.

Like the click of the cylinder of a well oiled 38 in a dark alley behind Flannigans bar, the keys of my old HP moved under my fingers as they flew over the keyboard untill I came upon the last page. I couldn't belive it, another private Dick prowling the board I'd come to think of as my own.

Like some jealous dame with a permanent wave and legs that went right up out sight under her dark blue polka dot suit and smokey eyes beneath a wide brimmed white summer hat, I sighed with regret.

"Pretty funny guy", I thought to myself as I pulled the brim of my fedora down over my eyes and headed out into the morning sun as it burned the last of the fog from last nights conference with my two pals, Blackie and Red, the Beam brothers.

Pretty funny stuff, Jason, thanks for posting that!

Brian

Brian

28. Abomination

Abomination

Actually, I got a wild hair and pulled that out of my ass.

Kids, this is what you can do with an unfinished English degree. Look how I'm bettering society. :D

It could be worse, I suppose. Somehow I ended up doing high-end tech support, getting paid twenty-and-change to surf the HAMB, write crappy noir and watch YouTube videos all day... but I digress!

BTTT for some pics, already!

~Jason

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The real story:
    Snidely Debit, ace associate insurance adjuster for Greyhound, sits grimly at his formica desk, whisking the lapels of his Walmart "Executive" "suit" and nervously adjusting his clip-on "tie" as he awaits the fruit of his crafty plan...if...if...
    If this works, HE will get the corner desk!! And maybe a REAL tie!!
    The bundle of crushed fiberglass shards sits beside him, all the bits that could be found strapped into a wad with package wrapping tape. There'd be hell to pay if this didn't work out...surely the supply clerk would notice that all 6 rolls of tape were suddenly gone and come hunting for him!!
    The whole wad had been extracted from the air cleaner ducting of that bus that had come to a screaming stop just past KC last week...the engine implosion alone was gonna cost 50 thou, and all the passengers who'd gotten bloody noses and bumped knees from the improvised "Jake Brake" stop from 75MPH had been talking with that lawyer who got there even before the Patrol...Snidely could smell the coming bloodletting...and had to divert it to the perp's insurance company!!!
    Before the bundling, he and "Possum", his idiot confidant from the mail room, had pieced the awful thing together in the meeting room, laying out the ragged jigsaw puzzle on the luxurious polyvinyl carpet...it was a CAR of some sort!!! Possum, bless his wretched soul, had ID'd the make...it was a "Streetrod", apparently some sort of RV for people like Possum!
    The crafty Snidely had put his plan together after a short bit of anthropological research on "Streetrodders" at the newsstand...they didn't seem very bright, there were lots of them, and they had a grapevine!!
    The grapevine would be the undoing of the evil Streetrodder who killed the bus, thought Snidely...the car was the BAIT, the grapevine would be the TRAP...
    a few seconds of research on Yahoo led to the heart of their jungle...an ad on Craig's list would reach LOTS of the scum, and the moron would doubtless want his "Streetrod" back...to the chagrin and eventual doom of the moron's insuance company!!
    Snidely would heroically divert this oncoming bullet from Greyhound's insurance bill to whatever company was fool enough to insure this rabble of deviants!! As soon as that idiot showed his face and asked for his fiberglass...Snap! Click! His insurance policy would be SMOKING!
    Snidely nervously watched the door, wondering what a "Streetrodder" would look like...and what the lovely Ermintrude of the steno pool would think when he got the corner desk!!

30. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Why do visions of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid keep popping into my head?

"Do you want it toasted?"
    "What is FOC?"
    "CLEANING WOMAN!!"

Bruce, is the moral of the story: "Go Greyhound. Leave the coniving to us."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.