Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Assembling new 32 Mack Hils bed...what a puzzle. Help!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HardcoreZ28, Aug 28, 2014.

1. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

I just got my new Mack Hils 55 in bed and have zero clue how it gets assembled. They have no instructions and the diagram they sent me is useless. Anyone have assembly pictures of a 32 bed or a stock diagram? I don't even know where to begin haha.

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Not sure where Hillsborough is, but I have a pickup with original bed in Millburn and you are welcome to come climb around it as much as you like. Garage is a bit cluttered...bring a waiver and we'll post next of kin info outside of garage, but I think you'll be able to get in enough to see where all the blasted little braces and strainers live!
    Oh, yes, bring a can of spray brake cleaner or a .45...those spiders LOVE deuces for some reason!
    Bruce

A PS...a guy I know went through this figuring out a Brookville roadster ordered in pieces...he brought over several little braces he could not figure out, and we spent 2 hours crawling all over and under a factory Brookville body and a perfect Henry car and could not find a clue.
    His conclusion (and last words, as he lay perishing from innumerable spider bites) was that Brookville had tossed in a handful of random stuff from the Model A section just for the entertainment value...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. [QUOTE="Bruce Lancaster,
    His conclusion (and last words, as he lay perishing from innumerable spider bites) was that Brookville had tossed in a handful of random stuff from the Model A section just for the entertainment value...[/QUOTE]...........................That's hilarious.:D

5. Bruce: That is some funny stuff! You should write for someone. Now to the bed. I didn't look at the link but I have dis-assembled and re-assembled a 35 bed and would bet they are real similar. You will have the sub structure, the head end, the sides and a tail gate (simplification) The sub parts you will recognize from the flat stuff. The BIG crossmember goes up front. Sort out the others. You could bolt the sub together and lay it on the frame to see if it works. The flat stuff almost goes together by itself. You see, I like figuring it out more than reading and looking at pictures. There's value in both of course. You'll get it together don't worry.....Tim

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I assembled the bed it was for a street rod so I welded it in many places where there were supposed to be rivets and slicked them up. It was fairly straight forward after I scratched my head for a few days. In reference to the Brookville deuce body when I assembled my first one I was boggled by some of the small pieces even though I had owned 5 original bodies before it. It also turned out good after the initial struggle. I now buy them assembled. Hang in there and be patient.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Bruce I'm about 45 minutes from you. I've done the Milltown car show several times. I may take you up on your offer. There's a guy on the board selling an original bed and he has some pretty good pictures and his ad. How difficult are they really to square up? Also I am thinking of welding mine as well and maybe putting the rivets in after for decoration purposes

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A '32 pickup is pretty flexible...I suspect a welded up bed could function to help stiffen it all. The basic structure is I think entirely 90 degree/perpendicular to the world so anything that is square and solid could be clamped into corners as you fasten. Millburn, not Milltown! Up on interstate 78.

9. A Boner

A Boner

What is the difference between a 32 bed verses a 38 bed....not for a restoration, but for a Hot Rod?

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My AV8 31 pickup has an un-boxed frame and an original stock rivited box. The box is bolted to the frame at the rear with a 3/4" wood shim in between. The front corners of the box needed small stands (1" square tube) welded to the frame to take up the height difference due to the slight Z in the rear of the frame. At first I had joined them side to side with a piece of 1"angle. They broke 3 times since may. It doesn't seem to like being mounted that solidly. It broke the welds. Ripped them! I removed the angle that spanned the 2 stands so they are independent from each other now. So far it seems to be ok for the last month.

My point is they move around a A LOT. I'm not sure what kind of damage would happen to a box that was welded together especially if you were trying to use it to stiffen things up.

11. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

I'm not sure mine will have as much flex. I'm running a Pete and Jake frame that's boxed and has that huge tubular cross section in the middle. Hoping to start piecing the bed together this week as well as mock up my rear suspension so I can order a driveshaft.

12. A Boner

A Boner

13. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

I welded mine front and back. Fuck the rivits

Attached Files:

14. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Did you guys do your weld on the inside or outside of the bed? I'm leaning towards the outside so I can dress them and fill them smooth

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Call Mack Hils. They have always been helpful (and patient!) with me in the past.
    They can email you something to help and better explain it to you.
    You can do it!
    Keep workin'
    Al

16. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

I've spoke with them several times and they aren't much help. They don't even have a diagram specific to the 32 bed. Considering I'm chronicling my build and their product in Auto Restorer Magazine you'd think they'd offer a bit more

17. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

On my truck bed I placed a sheet of ply wood under the planks and the strips mounted without bolts.which hold the planks together. I installed a stainless 4 inch strip front and back over the wood and strips which keeps everything held down. Not original but it works for me.

Attached Files:

18. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Half way there. The perimeter is all tacked together. Just have to make sure it's square and then do the subframe.

19. I remember the beginning of assembly on a Mack Hils bed for my '41 Ford PU and some of the same frustration expressed by the OP. I also wondered why Mack Hils and helpers didn't put together some simple instructions for bed construction. Like others here.... you study it awhile and it 'comes together.' But for the money that goes into a reproduction bed, you'd think a little instructional help would be reasonable. Here's mine at the initial stages and recently finished.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files: