Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

History Appliance Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mdbomstad, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mdbomstad

mdbomstad Member

Looking for history about the appliance wheel company. I know they were made in Japan. Who importd them? any info or sources appreciated

Mike
  2. JimA

JimA BANNED

Originally they were made at the Appliance Chrome Shop in Gardena, CA- late fifties through the '60s.
  3. DenverDave

DenverDave Member

Here's the set of Appliance mags that I inherited with my old super sport. when I first saw them, I thought they were some kind of Cragar SS knockoffs.

[​IMG]
  4. Toymaker

Toymaker Member

wheelkid's dad (Gary) can answer all your questions.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a set in the late 70's. They were heavy steel 5 spokes, rusted around the hub area and I was glad to be rid of them.
  6. Dyce

Dyce Member

I had a set of aluminum slots. They were heavy too compared to American Racing or ET.

The Appliance stots had recessed lug holes.
  7. mdbomstad

mdbomstad Member

I have been told the early Appliance wheels were made in America. The Apache wheels may be the first cast wheels made by Appliance

Attached Files:

8. mdbomstad

mdbomstad Member

Anyone have old 60's car magazines? please check for any advertisments or stories on these wheels.
  9. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Appliance made a wide variety of wheels... I believe they WERE originally American made, but later (late 60s/early 70s) they started having their wheels produced in Japan... Ironically, the Japan cast A/P torq thrust style mags are some of the nicest wheels ever made, with castings superior to the real deal Americans they were copying, as well as other US made torq-thrust copies. An easy way to spot an Appliance (A/P) torq thrust is the deeply recessed lug holes, and of course the "Japan" cast in the backside.

Attached Files:

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their chrome steel five spokes were famous for rusting even way back when. Usually sold as a low buck alternative to Cragers.
  11. 1badnov

1badnov Member

These are Appliance smoothies, that I had new hoops put on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. aceuh

aceuh Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These may be newer than what you're looking for, but they're all the Appliance ads that I have on file.

I've got tons of other brand wheel ads scanned.:D
  13. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7 Member

The first set of custom wheels that I ever had were appliance wheels.I bought some used 5 spokes and put them on my '54 chevy pick-up in 1982..They fit in with my wooden running boards , black shag carpet interior,tilt front end and corvette yellow paint job.That truck was stylin back in the day......
  14. v194

v194 Member

Here is an ad for the Apache from Hot Rod 1966.
    Sometimes they are confused for the Sting-ray which is a different wheel company all together also included is a vintage ad.
    Then there is a photo of them side by side.
    I have multiple sets of these wheel in both configurations and ironically live in Spartanburg.

Attached Files:

15. v194

v194 Member

Not sure if I checked "Instant Notification?"
  16. MikeRose

MikeRose Member

I had a set of slots, still have some center caps. Don't know much else... seem like good rims.
  17. bonesy

bonesy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my white trash, high school, mullet days - I had a set on a Javelin SST. Never like the car or the wheels. I don't remembet the model, but they kind of look like the General Lee wheels. Ugh.
  18. mickeyc

mickeyc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago I was driving a 77 dodge van near Lordsburg New Mexico
    that was sporting a set of Appliance mags that resembled Cragar ss wheels. After a mishap on the interstate (if you ever saw the Chevy Chase movie where everyone in the vehicle was sleeping, including the driver you will understand!) when the van stopped flipping all four wheel
    centers were still bolted on while the rim hoops and tires rolled merrily down an embankment into a washout never to be seen again. After that
    little incident I cringe every time I spot a set on any vehicle. Thankfully
    they are not often seen these days. I realise that a rollover accident will
    destroy just about any wheel. However I felt the first wheel break and
    indeed saw the rim bounce into the air just as business realy picked up.
    These were very poorly constructed wheels with small welds holding the rim to the hoop. I would not run them on any vehicle again.
    Mickey C. from the bayou
  19. v194

v194 Member

These wheels are cast not welded.
  20. tonys18t

tonys18t Member

The 4 spoke 13x7s were literally worth their wieght in gold back in the 90s in England. we'd cruise with them to shows and then take them off for the work week commute.
  21. Nads

Nads Member

I would kill for a set for my Capri. As it is I have a set of NOS Cragars I'm going to use.
  22. inZane240

inZane240 Member

Ive got these stashed away at home. You can easily see the differences between cragars, even though they share the same basic design.
    [​IMG]
  23. tonys18t

tonys18t Member

:) I bought a set of Cragars for my 72 Capri a couple of years ago ( Mk1 with a 302 and Tremec 5 speed ) found some NOS 13x7s and 13x5.5 still in the boxes.

Havent seen the 13 inch A's in 20 years:(
  24. pprather

pprather Member

Appliance also had wire wheels in the '70's. This set has been mounted since 1976 and have nearly 120k miles on them. Still true and easy to balance.

[​IMG]
  25. Cut55

Cut55 Member

Apparently that room was cold.
  26. Cut55

Cut55 Member

My wheel restorer told me that the wheels on the back of my '55 are late '60s Appliance Torq Thrust copies. (Fronts are real TTs.)

[​IMG]
  27. HarryRanchero

HarryRanchero Member

Hello. I am new here as of today. I found this site by Googling an AP wheel inquiry.

Strange as it may seem, I worked for the company thought bought Appliance Wheel Industries in the early 1980's from W.R.Grace. Grace owned it for a short while really. (They had NO business in the wheel or any performance industy product, as they were from the "food industry" if memory serves me correctly).

In 1981, I worked for a company that ran Keystone and Appliace Wheels, called Intermark, which created a sub holding company called "Dynamark". Keystone and Appliance were "merged" and product lines merged (a mistake for sure!), and I had my first taste of corporate "downsizing" in a takeover!

Yes, some wheels from AP actually say "W.R.Grace Made in Japan", which I believe were the training grounds for Enkei Wheels to learn the "volume" we did in the states. They had learned of the volume first hand by doing our castings over there. Keystone was the best at plating, and AP had been the best in styling.

Appliance was a great company. Keystone was a great company, but they were now run by a company that was a "numbers only" place. Wheel saavy people had a hell of a time with this structure for sure, me included.

I had sold wheels in the "Valley" of So Cal at a very high volume wheel and tire speed shop, and knew from experience what it took to sell and install wheels!

We had also been one of the largest Western Wheel Dealers at the time (1976 to 1980), it was called Autocessories Wholesale at 8801 No. Sepulveda Blvd., Sepulveda (but everyone knew us as Van Nuys).

Today, I find used AP wheels in various places and have them restored. People always ask me "what are those?" as I have them polished and detail painted. I use a lot of what they called a "Turbo-Vec" which was AP's "knock off" of American Racing's "Vector".

I really enjoyed growing up in the wheel and tire part of the aftermarket industry.

I have worked for some other great company's in their day... Super Shops, and BF Goodrich when it was BF Goodrich, not Michelin owned!

Sorry for the LONG post, but I feel that someone should know the actual "what the "f" happened" to these great company's.

Thanks for your time.

Harry
  28. Verminator

Verminator Member

Had a set of the Appliance 5 spoke cragar styles on a 69 Montego convert..14x7 deep dish. tough to keep up on the rust, but the nice thing was no mag nuts -- they were stamped steel centers and used stock type tapered lug nuts.
  29. Lunatic

Lunatic Member

cool

Attached Files:

30. lanny haas

lanny haas Member

WIll be getting rid of these, going to go with steel wheels.... Chrome smoothies maybe.
    [​IMG]