Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone using a 95-01 Explorer 8.8" rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Beemer

Beemer

Dont the 2wd Rangers use the 7.5"? Thats what I got out of a '97 Ranger anyway. I could have sworn that it was spring under (not that it matters).

2. Godzilla

Godzilla

Well if you are still interested in testimonials...I was running a 8.8 Explorer rear in Godzilla. The disc brakes worked really well...there were only a few things I did not like about it. Gears drop out back like 12 bolt, C clips and difficult to get a mini-spool in and out.

My axles were 31 splined and had "tiger stripe" heat treatment. I was prepared to run a blown BBC with them...but then put in a spool and c-clip eliminators.

Plan "B"...I was going to run it till I killed it and then cut the center out and weld in a 9" Ford center. They are cheap and easy to find...and with any luck I would be able to use the axles too. Hope this helps....Good luck. Ron.

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I know you aint gonna believe this but i have used like ten of them and have a brand new one in stock, I bought all of them compete new from aerial group in okc one is in godzillas 55 gasser runs high 11s with full on slicks and never broke it..... they have the 4 1/2 bolt pattern and brakes have the e brake inside the rotors , very nice unit and 31 spline axles .... :cool:

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Nobody is talking about antiques.
    The subject is the Dana 8.8 rear end which didnt debut on the 240 until 85-86 when drums were standard and discs optional.

5. burger

burger

some of you guys are getting pretty pissy about this
    it's just the internet
    anyway thanks for all the testimonials and advice
    if i replace my rear this is the route i will go

ed

6. MattB

MattB

I'm pretty sure that just the 4.0 Rangers got the 8.8" rear. Since all 90's Explorers have at LEAST a 4.0 in them, they all have 8.8's.

7. bcarlson

bcarlson

I haven't put mine in yet (just got the old axle out on Tuesday (how's that for a valentine?! :) ), but it's sitting in the garage. I haven't set it next to the old axle, but if memory serves, it's about two inches narrower than stock. I am planning on putting on 15" or 16" smoothies, so I haven't tried it with 14" wheels, and I don't have any around, but boy is it close to the disc backing plate with the 15's... 16"-ers seem very comfortable... plenty of room.

I got one from a 2000 exploder, with the discs... most people won't even know since it'll have the aforementioned smoothies... and it was the same price as the drum version.

Let me know if I can take any measurements or anything for you...

Ben

8. bcarlson

bcarlson

Weird, I must have a one-off then, because mine was spring under axle... I just finished cutting the mounts off! :) Oh, and I was going to say, I was on horrible amounts of drugs (back surgery) and got taken, but I ended up paying around $300 for mine. It's a 3.73, and they swore it was a posi, but I didn't think to check (it's not)... the cheapest I've seen them up here (of course after buying mine) was $150. Oh, and be certain to get the calipers/rotors, etc. with it, if nothing else, for the core charge!!

Ben

9. leadsled01

leadsled01

Correct, neighbor had to have his replaced after 20,000 miles.

10. 6-71

6-71

Maybe this doesnt really have much to do with this topic, but I have owned 3 4x2 ford rangers, 1988,1996,1998, and I have installed flip kits in all 3 of them. they come with the spring over the rear end. The explorer on the other hand does have the spring under if I remember correctly. just my .02 worth

11. Godzilla

Godzilla

Here are a few pictures of the 8.8 in Godzilla. Fit very nicely with a little tire showing at the fender (wheel 10" wide 3.5 backspacing). Good luck. Ron.

DVC00231.JPG

DVC00228.JPG

DVC00229.JPG

12. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I tore the one out of my 97 F-150 4x4 awhile back some friends talked me in to going off roading one night. Had it in 2 wheel drive and hammered down on it while going up a hill. I busted the carrier. My buddy tore his out a month before that doing the same thing.

A posi unit is hard to come by , or atleast thats what the junkyard said when i was hunting one for my truck I ended up putting a 9.75 back in it because i couldn't find a 8.8 with the same gear as my transfer case. A 8.8 posi unit can be a little $$$ my friend that tore his gave around $800 for his.

13. wgaf41971

wgaf41971
    from indiana

I just bought an explorer 8.8 for my 1950 chevy coupe. Disk brakes, 31 spline axles, posi, 4:10 gears, complete for $100 from my local junk yard. For all you get you can not beat everything you get with these axles! It even looks like it has new brakes and I can reuse the E-brake cables.

14. Choptop

Choptop

From memory.. and this could be wrong....

a downside to the 8.8 is that the bearing ride right on the axle shaft so that they wear the shaft itself. If you have to replace the bearings, you can only rebuild the rear end once as the rebuild kit includes a spacer the moves the bearings to the new part of the axle. After that, its times for new axle shafts.

now... how often do you have to rebuild the rear bearings? Not too often, but just be aware, this may come in to play if you are using this rear end in a high HP application.

15. slepe67

slepe67

I picked mine off of a 98 Explorer from the local U PULL IT for $110, including tax. I got everything for it, including the calipers. The truck had been wrecked very recently (front end) and the rear disc calipers were stil shiny. It's getting my transeverse rear spring mounts welded onto it, and I also plan to ad a stud gridle to it, for some added strength. Also, the off-road guys ran a bead around where the axle tube joins up to the pumpkin, so the tubes don't slp/spin. I did this also. Can't hurt, and cost me a few sticks of welding rod. FWIW: 4.10:1, with posi...

Pics to come when the mounts are welded on.

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  16. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I have one in my Zephyr from a '88 Crown Victoria Intercepter They had rear drums. Ford still had the 351W in the cop cars then so it was a complete power train donor deal. I was suprised that the gear ratio this one had ,2.87 to one . With the AOD in thats approx 1700 RPM at 75 mph. Only down side I see is the axle brg rides on the axle. If you run shortn'd axles and have a brg take a crap on the road you got kind of a problem.

17. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I started my above post before this one of Choptop. I type slow and ate lunch before I finished it . THEN I read his. I had never heard about the bearing spacer deal being a quick fix. So just to be comfortable on long trips I got 2 more axles shortened and stashed them under the back seat with a couple of brgs and seals. $$$$$:rolleyes:

18. sdluck

sdluck

Federal Mogul offset brg repair rp 5707 8.8 inch ford

19. My dad and I got 1 from a 98 Mercury Mountaineer that had 3:73 gears, Trac loc and 31 spline axles, disc brakes all for 150.00. Fit under his 41 Ford perfect. Easier to find than narrow 9 in and a lot stronger than 8".

20. i've got a 2000 in my 56. shortened 3"
    [​IMG]

21. i used 9" ends to relocate the bearings and a clip eliminator

22. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

02 explorer rearend, 3.55 trac loc, 62 chevy truck trailing arms. All in a 51 chevy sedan.
    The pinion is offset 2.36". Havent driven it with this setup yet.

23. pompadour

pompadour

I have a mustang 8.8 in my model a coupe that is the same width but the pumkin in centered

24. jr9162

jr9162

What's the wheel lug bolt pattern for those in Thunderbirds and Lincolns?

Width WMS to WMS for 8.8" axles from both these cars? :)

25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I am running two short side axles in one for my 50 shoebox. Comes out to 56.625 wide.

26. fast Ed

fast Ed

If you're talking solid axle T-Bird (pre-89), they are 4 on 4-1/4". Lincoln Mark VII up to 92 was 5 on 4-1/2". If you're looking at the IRS in 89-97 Bird and 93-98 Mark VIII, those are 5 on 4-1/4", but can be converted easily to 5 on 4-1/2" using 99-04 Mustang Cobra hubs.

No width dimensions handy, sorry.

cheers
    Ed N.

27. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I put an 8.8 in my wrangler and knowing how strong they were and how easy they were to set up I put one in my modified. Theres alot of yoke adaptors you can put on the front pinion and they wont break!

You want to look for 95-2001 explorers because of the disk breaks and 31 spline shafts. There are also upgraded shafts for them too if your running more than say 500 HP. Theres more Tech on these axles than any one thing I have EVER seen on the HAMB.

I have never had anyone notice that my diff is off center and its out in the open for everyone to see.

28. t-rod

t-rod

My axle is a '92 (so I'm told, it was pulled and on a rack when I got it). It has drum brakes. What I wasn't expecting was the bigger axle tubes. Aftermarket brackets are for 3" tubes, these are 3 1/4. I had to grind out my 4 bar brackets to fit. I also got a pinion yoke from ford racing to replace the flange.

29. jr9162

jr9162

Thanks fast Ed.

So the solid axle Lincolns (with the 8.8") were 5 on 4.5" as well. Anybody know the width WMS to WMS of the 8.8" axles in the Volvos and what lug pattern they came with? I'm fishing... :D

30. sewanhaka62

sewanhaka62

there is a tec. article at v8s10.com on cutting down a 8.8 rear and using two short axles .. i think it was at the top of there drivetrain fourm
    ..driver's door code for explorer with 8.8
    d1 = 327 posi 41 = 327 open
    d2 = 410 posi 43 = 308 open
    d4 = 373 posi 44 = 373 open
    d5 = 373 posi 45 = 355 open

rears also have a tag 3L73 = posi 373 [no letter] open
    leaf spring --- 59 1/2 wide