Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical anyone run a big block with exhaust manifolds and a stick in an x frame Impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 327Eric, Aug 29, 2014.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

I know I'm all over the place on this, trying to get by with no money sucks. Anyone run exhaust manifolds in this chassis with a 4 speed, and which ones did you use. I currently have Hooker super comp headers, which bottom out everytime I drive it, and hit the clutch linkage anyway. Any thoughts, help, etc appreciated. Its a 59 El Camino, with the stock passenger car bellhousing, and a Saginaw 4 speed. my mistress 009.jpg

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Around 1972 I bought a 1969, 375HP, 396 from my older sister's boyfriend, and stuck it in a 56, Model 150, Business Coupe. He had pulled the engine from a wrecked 69 Chevelle SS, and installed it in his 62 Impala with a Muncie 4-speed, and used the stock Chevelle exhaust manifolds. The only problem he had with the car, was ripping the rear suspension mounts from the rear end housing. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. ran the same set up in my 396/1964....even with nos station wagon springs and a pair of monroe matic coil over shocks for the front( even in 1977 they were hard to find)....just learned to live with it

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Running a big block with stock exhaust manifolds in a '60 Chevy two door wagon, except I'm running T-400 behind it...!!! The stock manifolds clear the steering just fine...

R-

5. Yep....59 Convertible....348 tri power to a 409 4 barrel...both stock manifolds and whatever the factory 3 speed 348 was....and 409 4 speed was. My dad.............1963 to 72.

6. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

62 Biscayne, 396, Muncie 4-speed. Wanted to use stock big block exhaust manifolds, but because z-bar/bell crank connects between engine block and frame so far forward rather than further rearward on block near oil filter or bell housing and frame, I couldn't find any that would clear the z-bar. Not saying there aren't stockers that won't clear, I don't know for sure, but I couldn't find any. Went with Sanderson BB1 blockhuggers and have had no problems with them in 14 years now.