Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone make a carb manifold for a dodge viper v10 engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cynical 1, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I saw a picture once of someone supercharging one of those Viper engines a while back. For the ignition it ran two Audi 5cyl distributors. Reading the accompanying article it was necessary to do this because Dodge treats the V-10 as two in-line fives and needed to fire two cylinders at once.

2. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

Agree here. Keep this rolling. Really rolling!!!!

3. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It's definitely doable, but even though you have the engine, it seems like an expensive project to me.

The pic that Bill posted clearly shows that it couldn't be set up better for any custom intake you want to build. The ignition is going to take some serious engineering. The dragster posted in this thread uses two Audi 5000 distributors. I have no idea about the drive for them. If you get serious about this, I would contact this race team for more info.

Considering you need a driveline/chassis built to handle this 500+ hp thing, it sounds like big bucks to me.

5. It may be a total waste of time, probably would be, but I'd go by Warren Johnson's place there in Duluth. He's a GM guy but he's also a smart SOB, but he always came across as cranky as hell to me and may tell you to piss up a rope, however, he's right there and the worst he can do is tell you to piss up a rope ...

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

^dont bother, he will just tell you to go piss up a rope.

7. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

Crank triggered ignition is extremely easy to incorporate and would be easier than figuring out two Audi Distributors. Then again, adding aftermarket EFI would be easier than carb. A full set of TWM throttle bodies would fit perfect on a simple manifold http://www.twminduction.com/Home/Home-FR.html

8. 32viper

32viper

Traditional hot rod/untraditional engine...I used a crate ECU to run everything.

Attached Files:

9. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Here's a thought... Since were already about 17 miles O/T, how about a turbo with a draw-thru carb blowing air into the stock FI manifold?

Neat swap BTW. Cool looking engine, but I dont care for the exhaust note.

10. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

the 32 looks great!

by the way pirate darryl - you wouldn't be darryl of louisville VW fame would you?

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

really dumb question: Is there anything available for the Ford V-10 that could facilitate this swap?

12. how about bike carbs like suzuki bandit they get used lots over here and are realy reliable

13. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

car should be in my possession sunday, and i'll post pics of it once it's unloaded. i'll be the 3rd owner of it - 1 and 2 were father/son that bought it NEW in 49...

i may post some pics of the v10 just so you guys know i'm not BS'ing you... :p

anyway - was thinking of just doing a custom manifold like the 440 cross ram intakes... any opinions of the virtues of that design?

instead of the solid center it will be aluminum tubes and a flange on the head/flange for the carbs.
    [​IMG]

14. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

also was thinking of "how the hell do i find a tranny for it"?!

anyone make adapter plates and a flex plate for a turbo 400 or some similar tranny?

what are you using, 32viper? your car is SICK! :eek:

15. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

One in the same. Do we know each other from the internet or real life?

16. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

i lived in louisville for a few years. we never met, but i'm sure we worked on some of the same cars. i knew adam (volksdoc) and a few other guys i can't remember right now...

17. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Aaaah, yes. If you knew Adam, then you heard of me a time or two. He hated me! Funny thing is that we are distant cousins.

Was it back in the VW Rabbit days? Whan I had the yellow turbocharged terror-mobile? :D

18. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

TWM Induction used to make a ten throttle body setup for the Vipers when they were racing in the LaMans Series. I saw a 30/32 roadster at the Grand Nationals with one of those race enginges in it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. 32viper

32viper

Some one makes an adapter for a powerglide (drag racing supplier probably). I used a 518 overdrive in my coupe but had to do major things to make it happen. Finding an adapter to GM would be your best bet.

20. Abomination

Abomination

You can make your own computer for this... or talk to Gemini EFI on here.

Sometimes the path of least resistance is the best path. Me? I like old motors with new EFI. Like this: :D

354 Hemi w/Northstar Cadillac fuel injection, Distributorless ignition, & turbocharger
    [​IMG]

21. Abomination

Abomination

Hit the Craigslist for a T-56. That's what was on it originally.

Wilcap may have an adapter for you - or the guy with the awesome Hemi I posted a pic of a few posts back.

~Jason

22. Abomination

Abomination

Dude at http://www.lakeheaders.com/ as well as several other HAMBers can make flanges off of an intake gasket.

~Jason

23. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

I agree with running megasquirt to control ignition. I have a megasquirt setup on my mercedes V12 engine controlling both fuel and spark and it is super cheap, reliable, and easy.

24. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

A crossram would look awesome on this engine, but I would make one with 3 four barrel carbs then. Go for overkill... lol

What's this 'real life' thing you're on about? :rolleyes: :D

25. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

yeah, i'm an overkill kinda guy. i want 3 or 4 carbs at least. i mean, this is a v10 right???

and just so you know i'm not a bs'er, i took a pic of the lonely little lump sitting in the corner today.
    [​IMG]

26. Cynical 1

Cynical 1

27. Fiorano

Fiorano

really would look cool with 5 webbers
    but the stock set up is wicked cool, the Viper motor is pure legend and art, run it with an aftermarket ECU you wouldn't regret it especially in the car you linked to that 49 is slick

28. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

If I would want to 'carbify' this engine I would look into just using the current intake.
    Block the front ends of them and modify/weld some 3/8" alum. plates on top of the ribbed part of the intakes and mount a number of carbs on that. This wouldn't be to difficult for any machineshop I guess.
    And perhaps a bit more challenging, I would also try to fabricate a drive of the camshaft for the ignition-system if there's room for it.

[​IMG]

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

The current intake is designed to move air without fuel, so pockets might exist in the lower parts of the plenums that could cause fuel puddling etc...but a good lookover will answer that question...and it would look cool with two rows of carbs! Low profile too.

I'd still make a U-Fab though...just because. LoL ;)

30. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

+10 and they go like hell it the Viper chassis too!
    A V-10 in a little chassis...talking about hell on Wheels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.