Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone know this history on this image?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yblockhead, Jan 2, 2009.

1. big bad john

big bad john

...........Don't know.......sure looks good on my 39 ford coupe....by the way....."Great thread" and great pictures of the B-17's

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

that was my first thought--40fordtudor

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I can't believe people would use an image with no idea where it came from. Arbitrarily using military insignia could wind you up in a shallow hole!

Doc.

4. ts086

ts086

When you think about it.....most of the U.S. Planes had some kind of thing painted on the side of the aircraft from fighters to bombers from missions flown to aerial kills, unlike the English.
    [​IMG]

Even observation planes were decorated

[​IMG]

Tom

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

ts086 - thanks for sharing those pics.

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This girl looks a lot like an early Olive Oyl or something from the guy who did Felix the cat, a lot of similar features. Who did Felix? Who did Olive? Also who did the wood pecker? The early Woody that was used with the cigar? I think we can find her, we just have to figure out where the bomber artists first saw her.

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Also who did the wood pecker? The early Woody that was used with the cigar?

Walter Lantz was the original artist for Woody Woodpecker. Cam guru Clay Smith had a Disney artist caricaturize Woody for Clay's red hair, and the cigar? Hardly saw Clay without it. "Mr. Horsepower".

Dean Moon was the first to hire a cartoonist for the 'right look' for his "MOON Eyes".
    Then everybody went trademark-and-logo crazy.

8. rbroadster

rbroadster

Don't think it originated as nose art. Like someone else said earlier, it definitely has the look of flash art. Probably was being placed on a different piece of military equipment (GIs) well before it went on the planes.

- RBR

9. Mart

Mart

Popeye.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the record Seventeen B-17's were named Lady Luck in WWII, three were named Lady Luck II, and one was Lady Luck III. Best Memorial Day wishes to all who served and those on active duty.

11. 2Hep

2Hep

I knew all my reading of the little books would one day pay off. I had to dig and dig through the shelf to find it::::

According to Hop Up May 1952 on page #26, Bob Lester is the man who first drew that image up.

In 1948 after being discharged from WWII, he started a business called the "Stylized Emblem Co." here in CA. Emblems for jackets, decals etc. The Lady Luck you have pictured (I have a couple as well of Impko Vintage) Is shown being silk screened. It states that it is his design. So the picture of the one on the B-17 very well might have been done by Bob himself.

The article is in the Meet the Advertiser section of that issue of Hop-Up

12. Now that's funny right there.

13. thanks for a fun post....and thanks to all those that served....

14. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I always heard it was Bluto......

15. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Nah, he would have chopped it and at least frenched the 8 balls.

16. Steven D. Lester

Steven D. Lester
    from Seattle

I am the oldest son of Robert Lester. I worked many summers at Stylized Emblems. Anything you might like to know about the man?

17. There are some similarities between Lady Luck and Betty Boop and she dates back to the early 1930s. Maybe Max Fleischer or Hal Seeger had a hand in LL's design?

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sure..Give us a biography of your father and Stylized Emblems and tell us about the design of Lady Luck?

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 'Lady Luck' nose art was around in WW1, since then there has been thousands of them and every one is slightly different to nothing like the one pictured.

Doc.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

and Carroll Shelby signed it